PDA

View Full Version : CMP Raises The Price Of HXP-And The Minions Bitch!

Punch The Clown
12-20-2013, 09:40 PM
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=125183

The CMP raised the price of HXP. The followers are now bitching that the CMP is price gouging, ripping them off, and the loyals are now going to reload. What happened to "The Mission"?

ordmm
12-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Yeah.....Funny how that whole thing worked out ain't it. Considering Orest came off the rails right before Christmas I figure he must have got hounded to death and went ape shit what with the restrictions and price increases. Not very well thought out to begin with when they started selling parts and such, and the changes and adjustments they are making are about as good as planning as Obama is doing with the health care stuff. Guess they don't work well under pressure. If he didn't like the phone call complaining about the parts whores...wait till next week when all the guys who shoot only because the ammo is cheap tear the ear off his head. Oh well, that's why the CEO's make the big bucks.

jbkf1003
12-20-2013, 11:13 PM
I don't know how I feel about the parts limit, but the ammo price increase come on, Some people can't win. Tell me where else can you get 200 rounds of High Power Rifle ammo for $118 bucks, or what other company makes their CEO available to be slaughtered by customers on the internet? (Well I guess Shuffs Parkerizing does)

Yes the inventory they have had, and the cost of that has not gone up, but I'm sure every other cost involved with sorting, packaging, taking the order, and shipping it has. Electricity, Labor, Building Maintenance, ect. Hell Obama care raising their Health Care Costs might account for a 20% increase.

Plus the supply is running out, maybe this way demand backs down a little and ammo lasts a bit longer.

Justin

Roadkingtrax
12-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Plus the supply is running out, maybe this way demand backs down a little and ammo lasts a bit longer.

Justin

This ^^^^^^

Without some modestly priced ammo, the CMP M1's will become paperweights. GM doesn't sell gas when they have you buy a truck, just the first tank!!!

Punch The Clown
12-21-2013, 02:25 AM
HXP is still in business. I wonder what it takes to import ammo?
http://www.eas.gr/index.php?lang=en&sec=&ctg=121

Prince Humperdink
12-21-2013, 04:27 AM
I reload,I haven't bought any HXP in over a year.

jbkf1003
12-21-2013, 07:58 AM

I only see 5.56, 308, and 50 cal.

canes7
12-21-2013, 09:22 AM

Still there is going to b a large difference between new production and the surplus the CMP is selling. Sooner or later cartridges go obsolete, even the extremely popular .30-06. It's still around today only because there were a ka-jillion hunting rifles chambered for it. As we all know, the typical CMP M1 collector shudders at the thought of shooting hunting rifle ammo in their M1's. Right now most kids want AR's and the tacticool stuff. Very few want the old stuff. And on top of all that most wont want to start reloading. If the ammo isn't delivered to their door at lower than market rate they'll bitch and cry then sell their M1's for cheap and get out of the sport.

All this just leads to waning support for the .30-06 cartridge. It'll happen but it will just take a lot longer than for others.

ordmm
12-21-2013, 11:57 AM
I wonder how much cash flow the CMP depends on the keep the operation balance sheet on the positive side. Even though the profit they make on rifles-ammo-parts that were bought or donated by the Gov't is probably massive, as that stock runs out and they have to purchase at market prices their profit in relation to operating costs have to be impacted. They have a first class operation. It's got to be a very high overhead operation in regards to facility and personnel cost. Running the CMP has to present a very fine balancing act.....raising prices to cut sales volume and then reduce cash in, and at the same time draw out the remaining inventory to last longer to prolong the business model. All at the same time paying the bills and continued building the endowment. Wonder if this was ever addressed in "business ops 101"?. Way beyond my understanding of economics.

Punch The Clown
12-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Hey, even the most obsolete cartridges get production runs now and then. I think it was Aquila that used to make the .22 Win Self Loader ammo. I believe they stopped when the .223 demand got so crazy a few years ago, but I'm sure the tooling is still there. It would be nice to see HXP bang out 30-06 again. Mostly because it is the only military spec one made. Their brass is waay stronger than commercial.

ordmm
12-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Hey, even the most obsolete cartridges get production runs now and then. I think it was Aquila that used to make the .22 Win Self Loader ammo. I believe they stopped when the .223 demand got so crazy a few years ago, but I'm sure the tooling is still there. It would be nice to see HXP bang out 30-06 again. Mostly because it is the only military spec one made. Their brass is waay stronger than commercial.

Well it's all about what the demand is and what the manufacturer perceives as acceptable risk. If there is a demand and a potential for PROFIT then someone will make it. As for 30-06, hard to run the machines at full blast making '06 ball ammo (not talking about sporting ammo) when you must know that there's a couple million rounds of surplus stuff that can come to market at less than normal retail. I'm thinking more rifles will be barreled in .308 as that ammo is pretty much price competitive with the new CMP HXP pricing.

canes7
12-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Well it's all about what the demand is and what the manufacturer perceives as acceptable risk. If there is a demand and a potential for PROFIT then someone will make it. As for 30-06, hard to run the machines at full blast making '06 ball ammo (not talking about sporting ammo) when you must know that there's a couple million rounds of surplus stuff that can come to market at less than normal retail. I'm thinking more rifles will be barreled in .308 as that ammo is pretty much price competitive with the new CMP HXP pricing.

I believe you are right about Garands being swapped to.308. Even more so when the CMP allows it for the As-Issued Garand matches. The problem with banging out more .30-06 ball ammo is just what you said, PROFIT! HXP, or whoever, will want to make money. The CMP minions squirm and squeal whenever someone profits.

Orlando
12-21-2013, 04:20 PM
I dont see alot of Garands being rebarreled yet,good commercial 30.06 can still be got for .70 per rd.

Roadkingtrax
12-21-2013, 06:06 PM
What a dust up over $20.

$1000 rifles...and a few pennies breaks the bank? HXP isn't the greatest...I damn near cleaned my Prone slow, rapid and sitting twp weeks ago at a local C&R match with Privi.

This is the year I learn to reload.

jbkf1003
12-21-2013, 06:23 PM
The 30-06 will die, when the 45ACP dies. Yet another 'obsolete' cartridge. Now finding ammo suitable for a Garand maybe trickier, that's why Schuster made an adjustable gas plug.

Justin

ttwn0324
12-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Civilian ammo preference or bias has always gone the way of military use. Two world wars, Korean war, four generations of Americans, a huge surplus, and that the cartridge works has kept it alive. An AR in 30-06 is something people want. http://www.onlylongrange.com/bn36.asp $98 was a great price, $118 is still nice, just not as sweet. I feel about the price increase the same way when I seen gas at $2.83 few days ago & today it was $3 when I filled up.

seaninmich
12-22-2013, 07:09 AM
I used to have crates of hxp piled up in basement. Paid $42 for a spam can of clipped. That wasn't that long ago.

cuppednlocked
12-22-2013, 10:17 AM
I'd say that was a good return on your money!

I was hoping for more of a backlash after your ammo comment on the CMP thread.

Punch The Clown
12-22-2013, 11:36 AM
I'd say that was a good return on your money!

I was hoping for more of a backlash after your ammo comment on the CMP thread.

Sean must be on a lot of ignore lists. These jerk-offs have to decide what side of the fence they're on. "The Mission" side or the "I want cheap stuff" side. It seems they want cheap stuff for themselves in an inexhaustible supply but if someone else wants the same they're destroying the "Mission"

cuppednlocked
12-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Am I happy the price went up? No, but I have no control over it. I bought as much as I could afford when the price was cheaper. I wish I had the funds to get more back in the day... oh well. I have shot very little in the last 2 years because of family obligations so my stash should last a little longer.

Half are bitching about "hoarders", half about "profiteers", and half are getting out...

When they stopped issuing ammo for the Games I had to get out because the extra expense wasn't there for me. I'll do it again when the budget opens a bit.

I did buy one can of loose when I saw the price was going up.

ordmm
12-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Considering the finger pointing about who buys rifles, why they buy rifles and such, next time a price increase comes along maybe the CMP would reap some good p.r. by calling it some kind of impact fee and put the increase into an ammo fund, or ammo holdback, to be used for the issue of ammo at designated matches or training clinics. I know there is no perfect answer but about twenty years was really bucks down and the only reason I could shoot in club matches was they had DCM club ammo you could draw for free. Well kinda free, you "volunteered" to score targets at matches. Know there ain't no way to satisfy all of us, but like a couple other guys posted the ammo issue does really impact the shooting sports.