PDA

View Full Version : Where did Punch the Clown get his Fake BM59 Brake?

jbkf1003
01-04-2014, 06:48 PM
I tried to send him a PM but his inbox must be full....

I was about to dremel off a bayonet lug on a gas cylinder to send to Tim for a Mag Fed Mini-G project when I saw the pics of his BM59 on the forum. He had a fake brake which makes in NY compliant. I am likewise behind enemy lines in NY.

Justin

timshufflin
01-04-2014, 07:42 PM
He got it from a forum member. I know of no more.

Punch The Clown
01-04-2014, 08:38 PM
I tried to send him a PM but his inbox must be full....

I was about to dremel off a bayonet lug on a gas cylinder to send to Tim for a Mag Fed Mini-G project when I saw the pics of his BM59 on the forum. He had a fake brake which makes in NY compliant. I am likewise behind enemy lines in NY.

Justin

Actually, I have two-one on my BM69 and one on my BM14. They are not false brakes but originals from Beretta. They were built by Beretta to bypass the old assault weapons import bans. One was procured for me by Greg at Standard Parts and the other by Mike Baker. I think they're more rare than hens teeth and I'm grateful that I have them.

jbkf1003
01-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks, Sounds like Dremel it is.

ordmm
01-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Here's a new part that we just got finished that might be of interest to BM59 builders. It's basically a BM59 gas lock that has been produced with a larger diameter in front to allow threading for various muzzle devices. We also had it made a bit longer than necessary so there was extra metal to work with. Of course, if a person wanted just a gas lock for the BM59 gas cylinder this would work as is, or can be machined down to make it look a little more "petite". They are made from 4140/4142 barstock. They have the additional threading same as the 5 ring barrels. The lock was held to tight tolerences and each thread was gaged to be in spec to the GI barrel drawing. Again, this was made as a part to support various muzzle devices, so the OD to thread is concentric to within .002 so it can be turned installed on a barrel on centers. The OD of the threadable portion is .753/.755. Overall length is approx. 1.500. Should have some kind of spec sheet available later this week. Again this is for BM59 cylinders, not standard Garand gas cylinders. They are in "the white" but we can provide them with manganese phosphate finish. Price will be $46., and they will be on the website late tonight.

Punch The Clown
01-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Greg, that looks like a winner!

ordmm
01-04-2014, 10:22 PM
Greg, that looks like a winner!

Stu, thanks! Tim has shown that the Garand can be custom built to the owners specification/vision. No matter with standard Garand gas cylinder, or BM59 config, it's pretty cool that many can have the rifle built to what they want. Have to give Tim the credit for opening up a whole lot of options for owners.

buckshot85
01-04-2014, 10:46 PM
That would work with a Mini-G using the drop gas cylinder also, correct?

Punch The Clown
01-04-2014, 11:16 PM
That would work with a Mini-G using the drop gas cylinder also, correct?
Looking at it, I would say only on the drop down gas cylinder.

buckshot85
01-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Right now I have the BM59 muzzle break. I'm thinking that would work as a regular gas lock. Could mill the shank back a little.

ordmm
01-04-2014, 11:25 PM
It will NOT work on standard M1 Garand gas cylinders. It will fit the BM59, BM62, BM69 "drop down" gas cylinders.

ordmm
01-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Right now I have the BM59 muzzle break. I'm thinking that would work as a regular gas lock. Could mill the shank off the front.

Yes, the part was designed to be used a few different ways. The overall length could be reduced if desired.

buckshot85
01-04-2014, 11:37 PM
Thanks Greg. My Mini-G has the dropped gas cylinder. I may have to get one of those. The BM59 break is nice, but, sure seems loud with that short barrel. Recoil doesn't bug me, so this may be the ticket. Is this something that Tim would shave down or do you have your supplier cut to length?