PDA

View Full Version : Helping Hand

ZBeast
01-06-2014, 06:49 PM
I am trying to help out a friend who is putting together a Garand. He has asked if it is ok to install his barrel to the receiver even if his bolt has not been delivered. I am under the impression that as long as the barrel is within specs it should be good to go. Am I correct with this line of thought?

jbkf1003
01-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Is it a new barrel or used? Either way it would get screwed on first, then the bolt installed and headspaced. If the barrel is new it would most likely need to be finished reamed with a chamber reamer. If it is used, you should check the headspace with go/no go (and possible field) gauges after the barrel and bolt are installed.

Justin

ZBeast
01-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks, I told him either way the barrel has to be mounted and indexed. New barrel likely needs reamed to proper headspace and if a used barrel if it is still within specs and not burnt out would be good to go. Has to be gauged no matter what to ensure headspace is within safe limits.

ZBeast
01-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Just to add to this. When installing the barrel is it best to leave all threads clean and dry or is an anti-seize recommended?

Punch The Clown
01-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Just to add to this. When installing the barrel is it best to leave all threads clean and dry or is an anti-seize recommended?
Clean and dry I say.