PDA

View Full Version : 67 Years Ago Today

rlelvis
06-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Let's not forget June 6, 67 years ago and the soldiers that fought that day.

http://www.history.army.mil/html/reference/normandy/pictures.html

axemurderer
06-06-2011, 09:12 AM
I am flying the Flag at my school at half staff. We normally get word from the city, today nothing. Well I did it on my own, because I remember. I would also like to say, the new york daily news, put in more about weiners weiner then D-DAY. We have become a very poor society indeed!

Mike

paid4c4
06-06-2011, 09:19 AM
It's good that we should remember 67 years ago and what took place. My father was in the USN and was assigned to an LCI (landing craft infantry). He was at Normandy and lived to tell about it, he was one of the luck ones. The flags in front of our house fly free because of the sacrifices made by many on the beaches 67 years ago.
Bill

MH53GUNNER
06-06-2011, 09:59 AM
I often think of that day and the brave men that landed. I cannot imagine the horror that they faced and overcame to save us from the Nazi's.

jak
06-06-2011, 12:54 PM
My dad was 1st Lieutenant in the 474th Anti-Aircraft that landed at Utah Beach. The 474th used half-tracks with quad 50 cal. My dad made it through the war but died in 1963 when I was 9. I don't remember if he ever talked about the war. Most of the stuff I do know is from what my mom told me after he passed away.

Crazy Horse
06-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Even the History channel has nothing D-Day related in its programming today. Sad indeed.

Took my 800k Springfield out for a bit today. God bless the Old Warriors, without them we would be in alot more trouble than we are.

Crazy Horse
06-06-2011, 03:56 PM
I often think of that day and the brave men that landed. I cannot imagine the horror that they faced and overcame to save us from the Nazi's.

I went to the Red Jacket firearms b'day bash this past Sat. and they had several MG42's and even an MG34 available to shoot and man, i tell ya that is one scary weapon, i cannot imagine how our guys felt getting off those boats and into hell. God bless every one of them.

As me and my buddy was leaving, we stopped just over the ridge as someone was tearing into a belt of the MG42 and i thought, that is the sound that made our GI's tremble in their boots, they had the cycle rate of that mother to the max, and i thought of our brave guys facing that buzzsaw. God bless them.

Punch The Clown
06-06-2011, 04:22 PM
I had breakfast with a friend this AM who is a WWII Vet. He wasn't there on D Day but he made it to Market Garden, Bastogne and a couple of others. He had on his WWII Veteran baseball cap. Nobody in the diner noticed. Stu

BTW, I asked him if he felt like going to the range and play with Garands. He told me he really preferred the carbine and the 1911 as it was a PITA humping around the Garand. I guess not everybody loved the Garand.

Big Ben
06-06-2011, 04:41 PM
I work in a school...Didn't notice anyone say anything about D-day. I didn't forget though, God bless those guys.
There was a local guy his name was Leonard 'Bud' Lommell (sp?), he went up Point Du Hoc with the 2nd Rangers, he passed a few months ago...I will definitely think of him.

rlelvis
06-06-2011, 05:09 PM
"We normally get word from the city, today nothing. Well I did it on my own, because I remember. I would also like to say, the new york daily news, put in more about weiners weiner then D-DAY. We have become a very poor society indeed!"

"Even the History channel has nothing D-Day related in its programming today. Sad indeed."

"I had breakfast with a friend this AM who is a WWII Vet. He wasn't there on D Day but he made it to Market Garden, Bastogne and a couple of others. He had on his WWII Veteran baseball cap. Nobody in the diner noticed."

"I work in a school...Didn't notice anyone say anything about D-day."

And I did not hear anything today about it on talk radio either.

I will refer back to somebody’s post on SHTF, are you so sure it is really that farfetched. The country is changing faster than you think. How many years ago would today have been all over the news, TV, schools, and coffee shops? This would not be the catalyst but it sure shows how fast things can go downhill.

cuppednlocked
06-06-2011, 07:18 PM
I didn't catch all of the national news tonight but I didn't see anything on D-day either. Discovery ran a show about surviving D-day earlier. It was the second time in the last few days it ran.

toolman
06-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Love your freedom thank a vet!