PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand function issues

TommyD11730
01-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Hey Guys

I wanted to throw this out there to see if I could get some help.

Fired my Garand today. Had a few issues

Trigger guard unlatched a couple of times in the 100 or so rounds of CMP surplus ammo I put through it.

Fail to feed. It almost looks like the clip is in some cases being ejected vs feeding the next round. The next round is always high and the clip must be pressed back down, and round guided into chamber. This Happened maybe 8 times today. Ususally towards the bottom portion (round number 6) of the clip. NEVER at say the 1st round fired.

Fail to eject clip. One time the clip was basically lieing right inside the receiver.

Now the rifle:

Purchased in the 80's it was an Excel Gardner Koren give/buy back. If my memory serves correctly the function was 100% when purchased. However the barrel was completely shot out. Again if my memory serves me right after the re-barrel is when the function issues started. I did not shoot the rifle more then a handful of times since and just put it away. Guess I was frustrated.

So I recently put a Dupage stock under it. I'm guessing the trunion on the guard are to blame with it popping open while firing. Hope a new one helps the lockup some as it's not very tight, considering its a new stock and I did not get nuts with sanding it.

Any help with the function would be very welcomed!

jak
01-12-2014, 04:54 PM
When was the last time you disassembled the rifle, cleaned off all the old grease and properly greased the rifle ?
Have you replaced any of the springs yet ?
Since it's a new stock, see 2 of Orlando's write ups in the "How to" section of the forum.
How tight is the lockup of the trigger group in the stock before you fire it ?
If lockup is not tight, the trigger guard will pop open when rifle is fired.

jbkf1003
01-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Jak is right, too tight a stock will pop the trigger group. If you don't know how old the spring is, replace it.

TommyD11730
01-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys

The rifle was broken down/cleaned and greased about 1 month ago. I have a ton of luberplate @ work, so that's what I used.

To my knowledge no springs have been replaced on the rifle. Places like Orion 7 (local to me) sell spring kits. Would that be a good place to start? The feed issue existed on the old stock as well.

The rifle was very loose in the old stock. It would wiggle around like no ones business. It would also pop the trigger housing on the old stock. On the new one when I broke it down tonight it took some doing to get the rifle out of the stock once the trigger was out. I followed that helpful link your referring too (when I bought the stock) and found some spots on my stock that needed attention. Mostly in the area of the front sling swivel. Thank You.

After cleaning the rifle tonight I replaced the milled trigger guard with a stamped one. The lugs are in better shape and while it doesn't take the force of a hammer to close it, I feel its tighter. I guess if it remains close on the next range day I accomplished something.

Now if I could only get it to function correctly.

jbkf1003
01-12-2014, 07:26 PM
I would do the springs if nothing else to eliminate it and for piece of mind.

TommyD11730
01-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Ok, but which springs should be replaced? The ones sold locally @ Orion include:

Op Rod spring (some have had not too kind things to say about their spring)

Clip ejector spring

Clip latch spring

Hammer spring

Extractor spring and plunger assembly

jbkf1003
01-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Id start with the top 2. Fulton Has them too if your not comfortable with orion. I have not used theirs but it seems you either love or hate them.

jak
01-12-2014, 08:15 PM
I never had problems with springs from Orion. Since you're close to Orion, get them there.

The clip latch holds the enbloc in place until the last round is shot.
A weak clip latch spring could let the clip latch move slightly and eject the enbloc anytime.
When you replace the clip latch spring make sure the clip latch rod is straight and lubed.

A worn clip latch could also cause your problem.
I had a bent follower rod cause the enbloc to eject early on one of my rifles.

timshufflin
01-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Hey Guys

I wanted to throw this out there to see if I could get some help.

Fired my Garand today. Had a few issues

Trigger guard unlatched a couple of times in the 100 or so rounds of CMP surplus ammo I put through it.

Fail to feed. It almost looks like the clip is in some cases being ejected vs feeding the next round. The next round is always high and the clip must be pressed back down, and round guided into chamber. This Happened maybe 8 times today. Ususally towards the bottom portion (round number 6) of the clip. NEVER at say the 1st round fired.

Fail to eject clip. One time the clip was basically lieing right inside the receiver.

Now the rifle:

Purchased in the 80's it was an Excel Gardner Koren give/buy back. If my memory serves correctly the function was 100% when purchased. However the barrel was completely shot out. Again if my memory serves me right after the re-barrel is when the function issues started. I did not shoot the rifle more then a handful of times since and just put it away. Guess I was frustrated.

So I recently put a Dupage stock under it. I'm guessing the trunion on the guard are to blame with it popping open while firing. Hope a new one helps the lockup some as it's not very tight, considering its a new stock and I did not get nuts with sanding it.

Any help with the function would be very welcomed!

Your stock can be too tight and your trigger guard could need some love. You can simply squeeze your trigger guard in a vise to get the rear latch to hook better.
Put half a common pen spring inside of your clip latch spring, this will equal the force of a Fulton high power clip latch spring. Also take a smidge off the face of your ejector to get the front of it behind the bolt face.
Replace your clip ejection spring in your trigger group BUT you could also have stock interference causing the trigger group to go slightly forward in the mag well. Look down your mag well with the bolt open, see the flat of the trigger group at the back of the mag well? This should not protrude into the mag well.

TommyD11730
01-17-2014, 11:43 PM
you could also have stock interference causing the trigger group to go slightly forward in the mag well. Look down your mag well with the bolt open, see the flat of the trigger group at the back of the mag well? This should not protrude into the mag well.

Ok, if you would let me post some photos and see what you think...

Hope you can tell something from the photos. I know often pics resemble the likes of Bigfoot!

I took a ride over to Orion, and picked up/installed the spring kit. Clip Ejector, Heavy Duty Clip Latch Spring, Ejector and Spring, Extractor Spring and Plunger, Hammer Spring, Op Rod Spring. If I get a chance Ill fire it tomorrow.

Thanks a lot guys I really need all the help I can get sometimes!

Prince Humperdink
01-18-2014, 01:00 AM
There is too much grease in unnecessary places, and all of that grease everywhere can pic up a lot of crap,but don't think that is your problem.You only need a very thin layer in the follower slot in the "Magazine"area,and bolt lug channel.Hope the springs work...let us know!

timshufflin
01-18-2014, 09:23 AM
The trigger group looks good but the ejector spring looks suspect/bent wrong.

TommyD11730
01-19-2014, 04:47 PM

Ill have the gun torn down later and post up pics. Perhaps you could be so kind to have a look and comment again.

Ok had the rifle out today. Had similar problems where the rifle attempts to eject a partially filled clip. Hell one time it it did sending the clip and 5 rounds up into the brim of my hat! The trigger stayed latch till the very end of the day and started to pop open again. I'm guessing the guard I bent basically bent back under the stress of operation. Strange though this guard never popped on another rifle and the lugs are a lot better then the milled one that came off it. Eh, no big deal Ill figure it out.

Now here is something I'm wondering. I bought all these clips in a large lot. Is it possible some may be bad? I ask as the rifle ran fine on some clips. However the ones that ejected early I marked, reloaded and fired again. Each clip that ejected early once, did so again when loaded and test fired a 2nd time. Is it really as simple as a bad clip?

Speaking of clips, when looking at mine (unloaded) there is a obvious difference in the gap on some of them. Again is there a rule of them, or some page I can reference as a go/no-go on the size/shape/gap of them?

More Photos to follow later. Thanks Guys!

Orlando
01-19-2014, 05:13 PM
enblocs can definatly affect feeding and ejection.
What letters are stamped on the bottom of them?
Next time seperate the ones giving you issues

TommyD11730
01-19-2014, 10:11 PM
enblocs can definatly affect feeding and ejection.
What letters are stamped on the bottom of them?
Next time seperate the ones giving you issues

I marked all clips today either OK, or NFG =)

All Clips are Marked AEC ... Now I do need a new prescription so don't hold me to the exact stamping!

Looking @ 2 of the clips that ejected before empty the clip "floor plate" looks more rounded vs a almost square one that fed correctly. Its almost impossible to photograph (but Ill try) and difficult to explain.

The one on the right (NFG) is the one thats more rounded.

TommyD11730
01-19-2014, 10:12 PM

For your consideration Sir...

Orlando
01-20-2014, 08:37 AM
As I remember AEC3 are good commercial made enblocs
The bottoms should be flat not bent/rounded
There are a number of things that can cuase the enblocto eject before its supposed to.
I look at items in theis order
Enblocs
worn bullett guide lobe
Bent follower arm
worn clip latch spring
worn clip latch (IMO not normally a issue)
I'm sure I missed something