PDA

View Full Version : Stock finish opinions wanted

Jimbo Slice
02-20-2014, 06:58 PM
So I have a pre-finished stock from DuPage sitting here. I think they give it a treatment of BLO. My question is, if I would like to shine it up a bit, what can I apply?

Or should I just leave it in the BLO and let the grease, dirt and sweat give it that sheen?

cannonshooter
02-20-2014, 07:20 PM
How much do you want to shine it up? A high luster, semi-gloss or a just a sheen?
Mack

Jimbo Slice
02-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Gee, ya know I really don't think the grain is worth a super high luster (I could be wrong). It's just that the way it sits now, it's totally flat. My ultimate goal will be to have it re-parked and sitting in a decent looking stock. Not that there is anything wrong with the stock as is, I was just thinking about sprucing it up a bit.

Ultimately I would like to be as close to "off the assembly line" as possible, and if that was flat then so be it.

cannonshooter
02-20-2014, 08:07 PM
They would have come off the production after being dipped in either PTO or RLO(depends on time frame) they would not have had the hand rubbed coats of oil that gave them the sheen so flat but sealed is how they would have been packed and shipped. The sheen comes from many coats over time being put on along with the hue that comes from the oil curing and oxidizing for lack of a more technical term.
Mack

jak
02-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Original productions stocks were suppose to have a surface that would feel like it was sanded with 100 grit sandpaper.
If I were in a battle I think the last thing I would want is a smooth, shiny, and slippery stock.

jak
02-20-2014, 09:20 PM
This is my Dupage stock that I got about 3 years ago. I just did some fitting on the inside and applied a couple
coats of BLO. It has a dull finish that looks dry, but it isn't

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj40/jkunig/sept%2053/100_0649a.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/jkunig/media/sept%2053/100_0649a.jpg.html)

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj40/jkunig/sept%2053/100_0647a.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/jkunig/media/sept%2053/100_0647a.jpg.html)

Orlando
02-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Dupage stocks come with a very light thin finish and need something more added IMO

Jimbo Slice
02-20-2014, 09:45 PM
What is this PTO and RLO that Cannonshooter speaks of? Would it be a worthy project to get an unfinished stock and go this route?

Did you buy a finished stock jak? And what was the procedure for your work?

What would you add to a finished DuPage stock Orlando?

Please forgive my ignorance, and thanks in advance.

I'll try to get some natural light photos posted tomorrow of the stock in question. If winter storm "zippidy" (or whatever the media is calling it) allows, that is.

cannonshooter
02-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Pure tung oil, Raw linseed oil. BLO is Boiled linseed oil.
Sorry i used the abbreviations instead of spelling it out.
Mack

Jimbo Slice
02-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Copy that.

I knew BLO, but was unsure of the others. A google search probably would have answered the question, but why bother when there is such a great community here that is willing to help.

Here's the thing...

I found my way to this forum because I was looking for some place to do this black magic thing called "parkerizing". Man, I sure was (and still am) green to this lifestyle. Unfortunately life got in the way and stole all of my fun stamps. Well, I'm about to put a stop to that. After all, a man needs a nice rifle, and it doesn't hurt that my 9 y/o Son is getting tired of the .22 and wants to try his hand at the larger calibers.

Over the last year or so, I was able to put some nice parts on my rifle (thanks Guys... you know who you are) and now I'm looking to finish up the job.

So, all of your opinions are greatly appreciated.

cannonshooter
02-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Never thought about it since they are common abbrev used in the M1 forums and I say BLO in your first post. It never hurts to ask a question as the writer may assume everyone knows like I just did.
Mack

jak
02-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Did you buy a finished stock jak? And what was the procedure for your work?

I bought what was equivalent to a service grade rifle from him.
That was the stock that came with the rifle.
I put a thin coat of BLO over the entire stock, let it sit for about 30 minutes and then wipe off the excess.
Then I let the stock sit for a day and then apply another thin coat, let it sit again for 30 or so minutes and wipe off the excess.
I usually put 2 coats of BLO on the stock, maybe 3 at the most, It just depends on how dry the stock is.

Jimbo Slice
02-21-2014, 02:49 AM
So how "thin" is a thin coat of BLO?

Orlando
02-21-2014, 06:34 AM
Anymore I buy unfinished Boyds stocks and finish them myself. I have bought finished before and I stripped them to bare wood, stained and then either BLO or Watco Danish Oil. I have been experimenting with Teak Oil lately and have been very impressed with it so far

jak
02-21-2014, 10:05 AM
So how "thin" is a thin coat of BLO?

Just enough so that the BLO gets absorbed into the wood and drys. You don't "glob it on".
If you apply it too thick, the BLO gets messy and sticky.
It's just like painting a wall. Two thin coats look better than one thick coat

Orlando
02-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Yyou can apply BLO as much as you want as it all gets wiped off to dry but you will be wasting BLO.
Where people get a sticky mess is they dont wipe it all off after letting it set for a period of time. You really arent building up coats of BLO like you do paint.
BLO is absorbed into the wood and cures there, after so long absorbtion stops/slows and you really arent doing much good by applying more

Old Guard
02-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Auction # 394636972

ZBeast
03-03-2014, 06:55 PM
I have 2 Dupage (Boyds) stocks that came unfinished. The first one is to be tung oil. I am going for a better than average look and the first one has got the first of at least 6 coats of tung oil. I am using pure tung cut 50/50 with a citrus solvent for the first 2 coats(maybe 3). Instructed to let each coat dry 24 hrs before the next one and wet sanding in between coats. I will try to get some pics loaded. I am at odds on the second stock. Maybe linseed oil, maybe diesel fuel ;). Any suggestions are welcome as this is my first Garand build. After all is set and dry should I use any kind of paste wax or just leave it alone.

Orlando
03-03-2014, 07:02 PM
I cant understand the reason for wax?
Heres something I have been experimenting with, Teak Oil .It's a smooth sliky finish, not military finish but something different
http://forum.shuffsparkerizing.com/showthread.php?5080-Teak-Oil