PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle device (flash suppressor) options for Mini-G's

Corpsie
02-21-2014, 11:52 AM
I'm investigating different muzzle devices (flash suppressors or muzzle brakes) and am having problems visualizing/understanding how muzzle devices are attached, so I can't tell which would be compatible.

So, which muzzle devices are compatible with the Mini-G? I don't plan on using a suppressor, so I'm not worried about getting a flash-hider that has can-ready threading.

jbkf1003
02-21-2014, 12:08 PM
For a standard Garand, generally they are a gas lock and muzzle device combo specifically made for Garands.

This is one from schuster

They replace your gas lock and add the brake. There are similar products from Smith Enterprises, as well as surplus BM59E brakes that will work the same way.

There are Flash hiders available that are similar, both Repro and Surplus (harder to find). But again they are specifically for the Garand.

T37 Flash Hider (M1C/D):

OR

If you are adventurous you can get a BM59 style drop down gas cylinder (Standard parts has new production ones), it would involve reshaping your Oprod to work on an existing mini-g build. With the drop down cylinder you can add any number of BM59 style muzzle devices. Also with the drop down, you could get Standard Part's new Builder Gas locks that you can machine (or have machined) to any thread you want and add whatever aftermarket 30 cal muzzle device you wish for...

BM59 Drop down cylinder on a Mini-G from Tim's Website with a 5″ BM59 tri-compensator:

Builder Gas Lock
https://www.standardpartsllc.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=399&idcategory=26

HTH,

Justin

Corpsie
02-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Justin,

Is the selection larger for the BM59? I haven't gotten the conversion done yet, so I can still opt to have the BM59 style drop down when I do.

Thanks,
Chris

jbkf1003
02-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Yeah, most are surplus and some can be tricky to find, but there are more styles.

A Couple of the options:

https://www.standardpartsllc.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=342&idcategory=26
https://www.standardpartsllc.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=344&idcategory=26
https://www.standardpartsllc.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=351&idcategory=26

As I understand it some of these require a bit different length of muzzle, so if going with one of them, make a decision and send it along to Tim when you do the conversion.

Or as stated, get the builder gas lock, have it threaded to 5/8-24 (Not sure if Tim does this or not), then you should be able to pretty much use any 30 cal (Ar-10, M14) muzzle device.

Justin

Corpsie
02-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Or as stated, get the builder gas lock, have it threaded to 5/8-24 (Not sure if Tim does this or not), then you should be able to pretty much use any 30 cal (Ar-10, M14) muzzle device.

Justin

oooohhhhh, I completely misread and misunderstood what you meant about the Builder gas lock. That seems like the best option since it leaves open more options :D

jbkf1003
02-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Yeah that would make the possibilities limitless... Just incase I wasn't clear, you need a drop down gas cylinder for the builder block.

Justin

Corpsie
02-27-2015, 02:12 PM
https://www.standardpartsllc.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=461&idcategory=26

Are these in good enough shape to use on a Mini-G build or should I continue to wait for new production?

justa22
02-27-2015, 04:04 PM
1696Picture of my Mini Garand with Bm59 Brake and Gas cylinder, if this helps you see the end result. Also makes it easey to install the Ultimak rail if you do that.

Corpsie
02-28-2015, 11:34 AM
1696Picture of my Mini Garand with Bm59 Brake and Gas cylinder, if this helps you see the end result. Also makes it easey to install the Ultimak rail if you do that.

Awesome, that's exactly (sans brake) the setup I want
Does that have a new production BM59 gas cylinder or the currently available used parts?

justa22
02-28-2015, 02:01 PM
Shuff had a few or the Standard Parts reproduction gas cylinders, he did say when he ran of them he had the ability to modify the used parts to do the job. Best to talk to him direct, he's got it covered.

timshufflin
03-03-2015, 09:10 PM
If you can't get one of Standard Parts gas cylinders, I can make the real ones work with a pin, gas hole, and side pin.

Corpsie
03-18-2015, 12:26 PM
If you can't get one of Standard Parts gas cylinders, I can make the real ones work with a pin, gas hole, and side pin.

Ok. I think I'll be patient and wait for Standard Parts to get the part in stock again. :(

Update: nevermind, jbkf1003 saved the day :D

CharlieLima
04-09-2015, 12:21 PM
Has anybody done a comparison between the BM59E and the similar Smith Enterprise muzzle brake ? The price of the BM59E brake and the alignment gauge from Standard Parts is better then anything else I have seen yet.
CL

justa22
04-09-2015, 12:54 PM
I have not compared the two, I can tell you that the BM59 brake/flash suppressor that Standard parts sells, ( Tim installed that one on my rifle} does a great job of recoil reduction/stabilization, and flash suppression.

ordmm
04-09-2015, 01:29 PM
The BM59 "E" brake and the short StandardParts brake have the same porting/hole configuration. Only difference is the centerline spacing for the gas cylinder.

CharlieLima
04-09-2015, 01:34 PM
And flash suppression too ? Interesting. I did not expect that. Thanks.
And nice flag avatar too.
CL

jbkf1003
04-09-2015, 05:35 PM
The BM59 / E brakes and the Smith Brake work about the same. I had a smith brake on my mini-g, I sold it and put a Bm59 brake on it, it was cheaper and I netted a few bucks.

I won't do business with Smith unless I absolutely have to. Where as Greg at Standard parts is always a pleasure to deal with.

CharlieLima
04-13-2015, 02:38 PM
The BM59 / E brakes and the Smith Brake work about the same. I had a smith brake on my mini-g, I sold it and put a Bm59 brake on it, it was cheaper and I netted a few bucks.

I won't do business with Smith unless I absolutely have to. Where as Greg at Standard parts is always a pleasure to deal with.

Just So !
I got 2 brakes, the alignment tool, and a thin blade front sight all delivered together within a week for only $5.99 shipping. Bitchin'
CL

koreanwargrandson
03-05-2016, 01:05 AM
If using the standard parts bm59 builder lock, would it then be possible to use a Canadian or l1a1 flash hider on a build? My thought is a less expensive alternative to the 5" bm59 device, easier to find, and a fal bayonet could be used at a 1/3 of the price of a bm59 bayonet or interfering with the gas plug like an m5

ordmm
03-05-2016, 03:24 PM
If using the standard parts bm59 builder lock, would it then be possible to use a Canadian or l1a1 flash hider on a build? My thought is a less expensive alternative to the 5" bm59 device, easier to find, and a fal bayonet could be used at a 1/3 of the price of a bm59 bayonet or interfering with the gas plug like an m5

My opinion.....just about anything is possible, or can be adapted, with use of a metal cutting lathe and milling machine, WITH a competent operator who is knowledgeable with the firearm you want worked on. If you don't own the machine tools then develop a relationship with your rifle builder and accept is opinion of what can, or can't be done.

timshufflin
03-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Has anybody done a comparison between the BM59E and the similar Smith Enterprise muzzle brake ? The price of the BM59E brake and the alignment gauge from Standard Parts is better then anything else I have seen yet.
CL

I can tell no difference.

Ambush
09-06-2016, 02:04 PM
I came across this on another forum. Is this worth considering for a Mini-G?

Western Ordnance (Smith Enterprises) M 1 Garand Compensator.

New, never installed, with instruction sheet.

Very interesting piece. Collect it or use it.
Made by Smith Enterprises & marked "SE" back when they used the name "Western Ordnance".

It is no longer a catalog item. It looks the same as the current manufacture BUT... it doesn't have the holes in the sides so the blast is all directed down with no side-blast. (current ones run $130-$150 + shipping if bought from Smith Ent. or Brownells).

Shipped to you in the USA $96.00

timshufflin
09-06-2016, 02:52 PM
I came across this on another forum. Is this worth considering for a Mini-G?

I don't use SE every since they started suing some of their customer base.

Ambush
09-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Certainly sympathetic with your feelings. I have similar feelings with Google, Amazon, Microsoft, etc. It is rough out there... However, I would not be buying from Smith directly.

Function wise, what would be a better alternative considering price? Perhaps a better question, is this device really needed? I did not find the recoil abusive on either of my Mini-Gs. I do have an acute hearing issue that I am trying to mitigate.