View Full Version : Last words,, forged CMP documents for Correct Rifles..?

Old Guard
02-27-2014, 01:24 PM
well, it went another 30 or 40 posts and then the Big O called it finished....LP, it seems that the Cliftnote version has surfaced..There are some talented computer guys over on that forum and they knew just where to look..It seems{ looks like}, not legal slander, the -arl of maryland, better know as --tman 8-, sold several rifles rapid fire, back about the time..this is all just conjucture, and i do not want to be another hammondje. So I feel the Heat is on..mail fraud was mentioned, Could that really be a Threat,even with closing of the posting..Popcorn anyone? So, what say ye? IMHO..

stratochief
02-27-2014, 02:49 PM
It won't affect the CMP because it's nothing more than person-to-person sales. Only thing they can do is say when and what grade a particular rifle was sold as. What happens after that is not CMP's problem.

LEAD POISON
02-27-2014, 03:10 PM
And now batman too.

Old Guard
02-27-2014, 05:37 PM
I never thought it would hurt sales at CMP...but it will change the forum for-ever..Imagine everyone whom thought they had been duped, Going to check all their hardware....Then the sick feeling when they read of who was involved? Not everyone will refund MONEY, like Goodguy, as has been reported to be doing?

Orlando
02-27-2014, 05:57 PM
Thing is if its going on at the CMP forum how about all the other venues, auction sites, Gunbroker, other forums etc. I figured this kind of stuff went on but am surprised how much is comming to surface all of sudden.
I guess with the last few years of real nice Service Grades with only a part or two that needed swapped to be made correct it should be expected

ordmm
02-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Never could figure out why people place so much value on the CMP certificate. Makes no sense.

canes7
02-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Buy the rifle, not the story.. or the certificate in this case. How much difference is there, in all reality, between a service grade that had the original sights put back on to make it correct and a correct grade? None to me. I dont get as geeked out as other do about correctness. I tried once and when done thought I'd wasted a lot of money.

Orlando
02-27-2014, 07:07 PM
How much difference is there, in all reality, between a service grade that had the original sights put back on to make it correct and a correct grade? .

Only difference is a piece of paper

ordmm
02-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Buy the rifle, not the story.. or the certificate in this case. How much difference is there, in all reality, between a service grade that had the original sights put back on to make it correct and a correct grade? None to me. I dont get as geeked out as other do about correctness. I tried once and when done thought I'd wasted a lot of money.

Yeah...So many times have seen "all correct" WW2 Garand's on tables. Most times you can tell they are put togethers as they have washed out markings on the receiver and such. Many of the misguided insist on making sure the finish all matches. Sad thing for the owner is they are worth more parted out then as an intact rifle. Nothing wrong with it as you keep a hobby mentality about it. For those who view them as an investment...well those people may be greatly disappointed.

Shug
02-27-2014, 11:06 PM
I just never understood the interest in "correctness". Most in military use would have had parts replaced over their service lives. The probability of having a Garand that truly had all its factory original parts and was in pristine condition is almost nil except for the tiny number of verifiably unissued ones. Why does having probably mixed parts with all the same maker name on make the rifles worth so much more to so many enthusiasts? I guess let them spend their $ on correct ones. I'll spend my hobby funds buying the cheaper mixmasters the collectors reject and tuning them up to functional perfection.

Orlando
02-28-2014, 06:41 AM
I just never understood the interest in "correctness". Most in military use would have had parts replaced over their service lives. The probability of having a Garand that truly had all its factory original parts and was in pristine condition is almost nil except for the tiny number of verifiably unissued ones. Why does having probably mixed parts with all the same maker name on make the rifles worth so much more to so many enthusiasts? I guess let them spend their $ on correct ones. I'll spend my hobby funds buying the cheaper mixmasters the collectors reject and tuning them up to functional perfection.
They are worth much more just for that very reason, you dont see that many around. Collector Grades are just that, "original" rifles as left from the factory.
Correct grades are been made to be correct but geneerally are in next to new condition.
Thats why the premium $$$$$

canes7
02-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Orest has even stated that if a rifle comes across an armorers bench that needs a small part or two to make it correct that they'd so. So to me even CMP papered correct grades may or may not truly be correct grades.

Old Guard
02-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Orest has even stated that if a rifle comes across an armorers bench that needs a small part or two to make it correct that they'd so. So to me even CMP papered correct grades may or may not truly be correct grades.

Exactly, but only if you have the paper for their accessment... I was perfectly happy to shoot a few clips and it all works like clockwork..then I read about Mixmasters???As others here have stated, IF the rifle fires, and the bullet goes directly to the aimed spot, what is the big deal?? Myself, IMHO, I believe that when we Babyboomer s are gone, the appeal for the Garand will wain back to just an ole army rifle? The value will fail,or Fall, as the more modern trinket rifles are still very popular, and I own two very good Ar rifles..Just read an article on Collector cars in Car&driver, that stated the same expectations on old car values..Afterall we are not-" A-USE-IT, and Dispose of it" society and our Economy depends on it? What if everyone was still driving their old cars simular to CUBA? The economy would be very different here, Again, just some of my views...

Orlando
02-28-2014, 04:55 PM
This is how I beleive the defintion of grades to read:

Correct grade means the rifles are correct as they would have been manufactured, doesnt mean they are same parts as when manufactured
Collector Grade are rifles that have original correct parts as when assembled