PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor/muzzle device mounting options for Mini-G/M1

txarsoncop
03-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Just got off the phone with Ron Smith and all he could tell me was to contact him again in June to see if they've decided to develop a muzzle device for our rifles to allow suppressor mounting.

I would highly advise any and all interested to drop him a line to help push this development. He's very 'on the fence' about it because he thinks he'll only sell "20 to 25 of them."

He also advised that if Russia gets us into WWIII all bets are off.

bill

jbkf1003
03-03-2014, 06:18 PM
I would think there is someone here would could machine a standard parts builder gas lock to your desired threads, maybe even Greg himself. Rather than have to go through all that...

ordmm
03-03-2014, 06:43 PM
I would think there is someone here would could machine a standard parts builder gas lock to your desired threads, maybe even Greg himself. Rather than have to go through all that...

We don't do any gunsmithing, but have thought about a suppressor install on the BM59 quite a bit. The vendor who did the oversize gas lock we sell is well versed in barrel threading for suppressors and the lock was done with some input from him. It's very possible one way to do it would be with the "5 ring" barrel to add support and alignment for the suppressor along with a threaded gas lock. Would love to be the test dummy for it but our LEO won't sign off on suppressors. Am trying at this time to get someone nearby who is licensed to play with the concept. Main things, I have been told to be most important, is alignment (obviously) and overgassing. Also whoever does the treading will probably be concerned with matching thread class. There are also some mounts that are a coupler type. If someone comes across info on BM59 suppressor installs please share the info.

Jgun
03-03-2014, 06:48 PM
As mentioned above, it would not be very hard to make a 5/8-24 threaded gas lock using Gregs builder part. which would allow you to mount a screw on can. If you're looking for a quck mount from SEI that means you'll be limited to suppressors that use their mounting design. BTW the only one that can get us into a war over Ukraine is the fearless leader in the whitehouse.

Jgun
03-03-2014, 06:53 PM
ordmm, you mention overgassing, do you think that's something that a schuster gas plug would not be able to solve?

ordmm
03-03-2014, 08:30 PM
ordmm, you mention overgassing, do you think that's something that a schuster gas plug would not be able to solve?

It's pretty much common knowledge the effect a tri-comp has in regards to bolt speed, which is lots. My guess, I stress "guess", is that a suppressor would even be greater in regards to bolt speed. Can't speak to how a Shuster plug would work. Uncharted territory I guess.

timshufflin
03-03-2014, 09:12 PM
I don't know Mr. Smith, never talked to him, but it would take an act of God for me to buy anything he sells.

Jgun
03-03-2014, 09:19 PM
I'd love to see a functional suppressed Mini G. Hope you're able to get a class 3 holder on board with the R&D. If you were to get far enough with the concept to have a working test platform and the Schuster can be utilized to control overgassing, a toolless switchable gas plug, similar to the Noveske switchblock in function, might be a useful item to develop down the road. I've also read reports from those running suppressed M1A's/M14's, of there being problems with gas in the face while shooting, I'm thinking that the short barrel of the MG might increase that tendency.

Old Guard
03-04-2014, 10:29 AM
The size of the can to contain gases would need to be bigger if talking about the 06 version..I have been surpised by the size of the 308 type...Also wondered about how many rounds before it it cashed in, or ready for rework?

txarsoncop
03-05-2014, 05:06 PM
I don't know Mr. Smith, never talked to him, but it would take an act of God for me to buy anything he sells.

Tim, he wasn't exactly friendly on the phone either...

Eli
03-06-2014, 01:32 AM
We don't do any gunsmithing, but have thought about a suppressor install on the BM59 quite a bit. The vendor who did the oversize gas lock we sell is well versed in barrel threading for suppressors and the lock was done with some input from him. It's very possible one way to do it would be with the "5 ring" barrel to add support and alignment for the suppressor along with a threaded gas lock. Would love to be the test dummy for it but our LEO won't sign off on suppressors. Am trying at this time to get someone nearby who is licensed to play with the concept. Main things, I have been told to be most important, is alignment (obviously) and overgassing. Also whoever does the treading will probably be concerned with matching thread class. There are also some mounts that are a coupler type. If someone comes across info on BM59 suppressor installs please share the info.

Can you make them with an A2 style bird cage instead of the clumsier (and expensive) 2-piece arrangement? BM59 or M1 type please :)

Eli

charliew
09-19-2017, 07:02 PM
using a suppressor on a piston operated gas gun works with much better success than a direct impingement system. The adj gas blocks that bleed the gas off at the valve are easier to use than the ones that close the port in the barrel off. the fn 49 designed in the late 30 used a bleed off design. ars gas blocks close the port off on piston guns. when you can let the excess gas off out at the port this helps reduce any blowback in the receiver. I don't have a bm59 or a garand, I'm here studying why I might want one or the other. I have several suppressors and several of my rifles use a yh 308 suppressor with the quick attach adapters. I probably have spent as much on the adapters at about 70.00 ea as I have invested in the yh titanium suppressor. the first application was for a 308 bullpup and I quickly decided with the muzzle that close there was no way without a suppressor. that is also why most of my ar's are piston guns with adj gas blocks but it also makes them shoot a lot smoother. I put a yh adapter on a 556 ak pap that has a gas block sight assy and the threads in the assembly are not concentric with the bore in the barrel so it was a little hard to get it all straight. once it was I welded it on to keep it from coming loose when I removed the suppressor. I also helps that it is a 308 sup on a 556 bore gun. this gun does not have a adj gas block but it also is not a 556 suppressor so there is some extra clearance there to not cause as much pressure. this is a pap pistol with a 11 inch barrel and a arm brace so I was attempting to get a little relief from the muzzle blast here also. hearing protection is hard for me to shoot with on rifles and get a good cheek weld and my hearing is getting pretty bad.