PDA

View Full Version : What do I have.

ZBeast
03-17-2014, 09:32 PM
I am finishing a couple of new stocks for my M1 projects and decided to take a go at fixin' up a old beater I got in a trade. It is a Garand stock, has a faint MT stamped on the right side,close to the top, at the rear of the butt. It is also a 1/2" shorter than the others where the front ferrule goes. What can I use this on? It has some chips and gouges plus assorted scuffs and scrapes. Do I leave it be or is it just another run of the mill stock that I can practice some repair strategies? The shortness throws me off. Do the handguards need modification as well? Op rod? :confused::confused::confused:

seaninmich
03-18-2014, 07:23 AM
Stock was shortened by italians. They cut the barrel at the breech and turned them to 7.62 nato. Its firewood unless you want to build a shortened garand. Rear guard, barrel, and op rod all need to be shortened

ZBeast
03-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks, I have a shortened barrel so all I need is a oprod to cut down.

seaninmich
03-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks, I have a shortened barrel so all I need is a oprod to cut down.
And rear guard. Don't forget - barrel is cut off at breech end, not muzzle

Prince Humperdink
03-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Is your barrel cut back from the muzzle for say,a "tanker"model,or was it cut from the breech to convert it to .308 like Sean stated? These shorter stocks will only work as they sit with the .308 cut version,or you can convert them to full size by cutting up an old junk donor stock and adding the new front to correct length.