PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen a Carbine like this?

timshufflin
06-09-2011, 09:46 AM
This one was a bit odd, the rifle originally came with the barrel cut off right at the front of the stock. The barrel had a threaded end, no front sight, and a spin on barrel extension that also had no front sight. I parked it and replaced the barrel with a full length.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/Timmypoo52/Carbine/IMG_0194.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/Timmypoo52/Carbine/IMG_0193.jpg

axemurderer
06-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Tim I believe that is a Plainfield Enforcer. Made in Plainfield NJ.

Mike

timshufflin
06-09-2011, 03:33 PM
The "enforcer" aye? I'll give them this, the stock work to make those rods for the butt go in is very good. You'd think they were on greased runners.

Cal30M1
06-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Who made the receiver Timmah?

timshufflin
06-09-2011, 07:56 PM
It was a plainfield.

Cal30M1
06-09-2011, 08:23 PM
It was a plainfield.

JUNK! Buy GI! lol

axemurderer
06-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Tim I could be wrong on this, but I believe that Plainfields were all GI parts. The recievers made by plainfield from left over GI production, but of that I am unsure. I say shoot it and enjoy, or if not send it to me.

timshufflin
06-09-2011, 10:31 PM
It's a customers rifle so it's now gone. The trigger housing was aluminum, I'm guessing, but the rest of the parts were GI.

sandsnow
06-09-2011, 11:20 PM
my buddy had a Plainfield with the same stock. All USGI parts. Now the aluminum trigger guard screams Universal. I know Universal made the Enforcer and sold it as a pistol.

Was the stock cut out? Those Universal trigger guards were a lot bigger than the USGI

timshufflin
06-09-2011, 11:23 PM
The trigger housing was HUGE and the stock was caught out.

sandsnow
06-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Sounds like a Universal in a Plainfield stock

All those post war carbines are researched here

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/index.html

LAW483
06-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Tim

Universal, Iver-Johnson, Plainfield, and AMAC all made the Enforcer. Early Unversals had the GI style 1 Spring receiver that used GI parts and had a Micro-Groove Barrel then they started making the 2 spring slide/oprod that does not use GI parts or Stocks. Iver Johnson also made the GI style but has a different barrel band. I have seen variations in the trigger housing. I have 2, both original manufacture, both can use GI parts. Fun little bullet hoses!

Gyrene63
07-14-2011, 11:13 AM
The carbine shown could be a Plainfield Commando or Iver Johnson PM30P Paratrooper, both makers used similar stocks.
Plainfield was considered the best carbine clone on the market and was made up of USGI surplus parts except for the receiver which was made by Plainfield Machine.
Iver Johnson used some USGI parts but the receiver was made by Iver Johnson as was the trigger housing which was somewhat larger than the USGI and was of an aluminum alloy.
The carbine you show and discribe is an Iver Johnson make.
The Enforcer was manufactured by Universal, and later by Iver Johnson after Iver Johnson bought out Universal, which was strictly a pistol configuration. It did not meet an eager market and was discontinued after a fairly short run.
When USGI parts became unavailable en mass Plainfield ceased production.
The first iteration of Universal and Iver Johnson were well accepted by the market until they started changing the basic internal operating system configuration and the use of lesser quality materiels.
The Plainfield Commando, Iver Johnson PM30P, and the Universal Enforcer pistol are now becoming items of interest by collectors.