PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here every have a Garand built with a Criterion Barrel??

Orlando
06-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Kicking around the idea of having a rifle built with a Criterion barrel, anyone else had one done ?
Honestly I have had two rifles built with NOS USGI Barrels, I properly fitted commercial stocks and didnt find accuracy any better than used barrels, with some wear and used stocks.
Maybe I'm just expecting to much out of a battlerifle
Thanks guys

canes7
06-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Ive used quite a few. I've used 3 on my personal rifles. The first one, about 5 or 6 years ago, was trash and went back to Criterion. The replacement shot great. I sold that rifle and built another. I'm still shooting barrel #3. For a Garand, it's a hammer. I bought the barrel I'm shooting now about 4 years ago.

FWIW - If I were going to build a new JCG rifle I would use a Criterion. Better metallurgy and better machining practices have to produce a better barrel. If I could get my hands on a new, or near new VAR, 60's SA or new LMR, I'd use one of those first. Getting one at a decent price is the problem. You used to be able to find decent and affordable VAR's every now and then but the last one I saw was over $400.

What isyour criteria for accuracy? If a M1 holds 2MOA I won't kill myself looking to get more out of it.

Orlando
06-09-2011, 02:11 PM
You using handloads to get 2 MOA????

canes7
06-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Mostly handloads. At the CMP events I'll get that Hornady stuff issued to me. Even with surplus, properly massaged, 2 MOA is achievable.

What kind of accuracy are you getting?

Prince Humperdink
06-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Not Bill,but if I can get all 8 within a 4 inch circle at 100 yrds,then I'm doing Awesome!I am a bad shot,but that is all I need to take Deer and Antelope :)

Orlando
06-09-2011, 03:21 PM
4-5 MOA with Greek HXP is about average for me.
Last rifle Shuff installed NOS SA 52 barrel, NOS gas cylinder,lapped NOS bolt and did trigger work

canes7
06-09-2011, 04:14 PM
4-5 MOA with Greek HXP is about average for me.
Last rifle Shuff installed NOS SA 52 barrel, NOS gas cylinder,lapped NOS bolt and did trigger work

and with the wood fitting process that you've outlined I would bet there is nothing wrong with the rifle. So looking at other parts of the equation we have the ammo and shooter. Take some of your Greek ammo, roll it while watching the bullet. Remove any that wobble. Take the rest and weigh them. Get the 10 that have the closest weight and shoot slow-fire. If this does not improve your group size then maybe look at getting someone to do some handloads for you.

After that there is only one thing left in the equation. Do you shoot other rifles more accurately? Do the rifles you shoot accurately have different types of sights than the Garand?

One other thing to think about are off-call shots. If you are hammering away at the x-ring and all of a sudden you come up with a 9 at 9 o'clock but you called the shot wide left then you can legitimately remove that from the group. If the rifle is shooting off call then you have problems. Off-call would be when you know you executed the shot correctly and the sight picture was good when the shot went bang but comes up anything but a 10 or X.

Orlando
06-09-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm not a Match shooter but I'm no slouch either. I do think part of my problem is my failing eyesight :) I do have to go see the Doc for some glasses, just been putting it off.
I actually do weigh my rounds and check for run out.
Yes I guess I have to blame myself for the fliers. Guess I always count my fliers as part of the group and thats what kills me.
Practice, practice ,practice, Thanks for the advice

canes7
06-09-2011, 06:25 PM
No problem. You do not have to be a match shooter to want to be a good marksman.

Fliers are controllable. Do some dry-firing and lay off the trigger if it does not fell right.

Hope this helps.

Orlando
06-09-2011, 06:32 PM
I have shot 8 rd 3/4 inch groups with my Scoped Varminter Armalite and Hornady match .223 ammo
My personal best with my scoped Standard M1A is 10 rds 1 5/8 group with German MEN 7.62 Surplus, and I'm not throwing out fliers on either one.
Do we see a trend here?:) Guess I better get that appointment with the eye Dr.

timshufflin
06-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Somebody likes glass :)

Punch The Clown
06-09-2011, 08:49 PM
My eyes are shot. I can either focus on the sights or the target but not both anymore. Very frustrating. With my scoped 700 and match ammo or handloads they all just about go into the same hole. I was thinking about the lasik surgery. Getting old sucks. Stu

canes7
06-09-2011, 09:07 PM
My eyes are shot. I can either focus on the sights or the target but not both anymore. Very frustrating. With my scoped 700 and match ammo or handloads they all just about go into the same hole. I was thinking about the lasik surgery. Getting old sucks. Stu

Thats the rub right there. Even someone with 20/20 cannot focus on both at the same time. Many people try and end up tiring their eyes out way too fast. The general rule of thumb is to focus on the front sight and leave the target blurry.

Punch The Clown
06-09-2011, 09:31 PM
That's what I do but I find my eyes to tire. When that happens It's time for a break. Bright days are easier.

Orlando
06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Somebody likes glass :)

I actually like irons but my poor eyes dont:)