PDA

View Full Version : Trigger assembly lockup.

ZBeast
04-08-2014, 05:32 PM
I am working on a few Garand projects and have found a glitch with locking the trigger guard. One group that has a milled guard locks in slick and snug. A bit of wear on the locking pins/lugs. When I try to fit a different trigger group it just will not close. It has a stamped guard and the pins have little wear(none). Would I be correct in saying that "better is not better" in this case and need to find a worn trigger guard to fix this. Can I whack it shut with a protective mallet? How would I get it off afterwards? My arthritis makes it difficult to get a good grip to pull them back and up. Thanks again guys,ZB.

p.s. I have used a little lubriplate grease as well but no go.

jbkf1003
04-08-2014, 05:45 PM
How close is it to locking up? 1/2" or more is pretty common on new wood. You want a nice tight lockup for accuracy. It's also not uncommon to have to lube the locking lugs and whack it shut with a mallet. I always use milled guards because you can get a tool that goes in the hole in the guard to help give you leverage to pull the groups open.

Good luck.
Justin

jbkf1003
04-08-2014, 05:52 PM
If its new wood Sometimes there is some wood that needs to be removed under the trigger guard lockep area. Orlando has a nice stock fitting thread that will help with that.

ZBeast
04-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Its tough going about 1/2 way past the trigger. The trigger guard is in great shape so I may just switch it out and use it elsewhere. Older used stock so I do not want to start whittlin' at it.

jbkf1003
04-08-2014, 06:22 PM
id grease the lugs and whack it shut. ;)

timshufflin
04-08-2014, 07:13 PM
If you go to close the guard and feel a sudden increase in force required to close at about 5/8" or closer to close completely, that's good. In that case grease the lugs and whack it. If you are 3/4" you are on the bubble and over 3/4" I'd be filing the trigger pads to get closer to 5/8". I do not think it good to be at much over 5/8" and then forcing shut. You will typically gall the locking lugs trying to make that much room up. You can also run into some functioning issues.

ZBeast
04-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Thanks, I will try the whackin' method.