PDA

View Full Version : It's a SAD SAD DAY!

jbkf1003
04-14-2014, 03:32 PM
I am in Europe (Luxembourg to be exact, a tiny country between France, Belgium, and Germany) for work. I come here about once a year as we have a sales office here. Well I found out the hard way my hotel has a filter to block 'objectionable content'. Well anything firearms related is apparently objectionable over here..... So I being a resourceful American with a job in IT, I connected my VPN back to our Buffalo, NY headquarters, installed a proxy server on one of my virtual linux boxes and routed all my internet traffic through it. So in non-geek terms, as far as anyone knows I am browsing from our home office in Buffalo, and bypassing their filter. IT'S A SAD DAY WHEN I FEEL LESS OPPRESSED BACK HOME IN NEW YORK STATE!!!!!

The lengths I goto to fraternize with you guys, well and watch Netflix, and check my watched auctions on GunBroker.

On the bright side, the beer is good, and the battlefields plentiful.

We, my co-worker (brother) and I, went to Bastogne on Sunday, and will goto Verdun on Wed... After we cram our work in. I did find out why the CMP has sold only 1 million or so Garands, though. They are all still over here! I went to three Battle of the Bulge museums and must have counted 50+ Garands. No gas traps....

I did pickup some battlefield relics, some rusty enblocs and BAR mags, as well as some demilled 30-06.

I'll post some pics later of my travels but leave you with a few.. I could swear the last two are of Tim's gun safe???

PS: If anyone need a USGI Thompson Grip or Rusty STG44 Ammo I know where you can find some.. :)

ordmm
04-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Great pics....Did you by chance visit the Luxemburg National Museum at Diekirch?

jbkf1003
04-14-2014, 04:05 PM
No, we didn't make that one. We went to Clervaux (Lux) which was in the castle, The new Bastogne War Museum, and one on the side of the road on a whim on the drive back to Luxembourg. That was the one with all the relics for sale. And it had a nice battlefield recreation on the lower level with trenches and a 30 cal mounted on a tripod you could move and aim, and pretend to shoot Jerries.. :)

I was aware of the one in Diekirch, but we ran out of daylight and time. The last one we hit just as they were closing. Plus if I went to Diekirch I might have to stop at the brewery. :)

Justin

Prince Humperdink
04-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Thanks for sharing those pics!

jbkf1003
04-14-2014, 04:35 PM
I've got more, Once I get back I'll organize them and put them in some sort of an album...

Justin

dannybritton
04-14-2014, 05:23 PM
Wow!! Thanks for sharing the photos!!

cuppednlocked
04-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Very cool!!

toolman
04-14-2014, 10:31 PM
You lucky^*^^%^&%#!!!! I HATE YOU!!!!! I REALLY DO!!!! Great pics!!! Safe travels bro!!

9th Infantry Division
04-15-2014, 01:28 AM
Great post, but I hate you too. Who gets a job like that. Just kidding, good for you man. That really blows that people decide for you on what you can and cant look at there, very cool that you out smarted them.

I'm going over to Cherbourg Normandy for the 70th anniversary of D Day, cant wait to see it all myself. My Pop landed at Normandy with his cavalry group a few days after the initial landing, finally get to see where he went to war.

jbkf1003
04-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Thanks guys. The European trips are nice, it's the crap holes like Mumbai India, and Sao Paulo Brazil that I have to goto that I don't care for... Usually I go with my boss and there usually isn't time to do too much, but my bro and I got done early and are using it to our advantage. :)

Old Guard
04-15-2014, 12:04 PM
Besure to empty out those old cabinets with the Gun metal in them, they won't mind too much..Nice posting just wish i could blow up them to three feet square..I don't envy you traveling around to work, but someone has to do it...Some of those people whom are watch you over there, Will try to do you in, or worse..I was very uneasy in Jamica...

jbkf1003
04-16-2014, 02:43 PM
I only wish. Even the repro 22lr STG44 is illegal in NY!!!

On a more serious note:

I didn't realize 'Parkerizing' was an evil term...

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u673/jbkf1003/Untitled_zpsb7ca1aa8.png

oh well, I still have firefox configured to use my proxy back in buffalo.. so I could still get on.

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u673/jbkf1003/Untitled2_zpsfe94dc36.png

Heading back to the states tomorrow at 4:00am.. With my battlefield relics. The clipped 30-06 I bought was demilled, but still had a lot of powder in the rounds.. So I had IMR4895 all over my bathroom sink. Hope they don't swab me!

Oh well.

I had a bottle of wine I bought that would not fit in my luggage, so I'm happily dealing with that situation...

Justin

Old Guard
04-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Yikes, the nitrate swabs are still being used??

timshufflin
04-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Just remember, don't tip anyone who is deemed to be either liberal or is involved in having your web surfing blocked.