PDA

View Full Version : Helping out the CMP - Contact representatives

RobL
04-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Hi guys I don’t know if you saw it but the CMP is cutting hours for the people who work at the Alabama store of the CMP due to the lack of rifles. As you know the President through executive order stopped the importation of M1 Garands. I guess since he couldn’t get any anti gun laws passed in the Senate he wanted to thumb his nose at gun owners. I have sent a letter to my senators asking them to try to get this executive order overturned. I also sent letters to my representative here in PA and the representatives in Ohio and Alabama as well as Ted Cruz and Rand Paul and the President. I’m asking you to do the same. I think these people who work for the CMP might face layoffs if something isn’t done. I don’t have any connection with the CMP other than I bought a Garand from them but feel that peoples jobs shouldn’t be put in jeopardy because of some agenda being pushed by the White House. Here is the letter I sent.
My letter is below.

Hello, I'm writing to you with a concern that President Obama used an executive order to prevent the importation of the M1 Garand rifles. These historical rifles pose no threat to the population.

Here are the specifications.
Overall Length: 43.43 Inches
Barrel Length: 23.98 inches
Weight 9.63 pounds
Clip capacity 8 rounds (They do not have a detachable magazine)

These aren't rifles that are going to be used in crimes. They are too long to conceal and too heavy to carry and they only hold eight rounds.
These are rifles that had a major part in defeating the German's and Japanese during World War two. They belong back in this country.
The Civilian Marksman Program who refurbishes these rifles and sells them only to competitive shooters across the country is already cutting the hours of their workers and will probably start laying them off both in Ohio and Alabama if these rifles aren't allowed back into the country. This isn't right and my belief is president Obama doesn't even know what kind of rifles he is preventing from coming into the country. This is costing jobs and that isn't right. Can you do anything to help save these peoples jobs and to bring these rifles back home? Thank you

Alabama:
Sessions, Jeff - (R - AL)
326 Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-4124
Contact: http://www.sessions.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-jeff

Shelby, Richard C. - (R - AL)
304 Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-5744
Contact: http://www.shelby.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/emailsenatorshelby

Ohio:
Brown, Sherrod - (D - OH)
713 Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-2315

Portman, Rob - (R - OH)
448 Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-3353
Contact: https://www.portman.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form

Paul, Rand - (R - KY)
124 Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-4343

Cruz, Ted - (R - TX)
185 Dirksen Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-5922

President Obama
Comments: 202-456-1111
Switchboard: 202-456-1414
http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/submit-questions-and-comments

If anybody can think of anybody else to write to let us know. Thanks

seaninmich
04-19-2014, 03:30 PM
This is a joke, right?

Thanks to cronyism, CMP has put many small businesses out of business and forced many into unemployment. I would LOVE to see CMP employees now have to face the business end of the sword. Its about time some of those jobs and their insanely high salaries are cut

EDIT:

I guess I don't know you so it's not quite fair to attack you yet. Please post copies of the letters you wrote to your representatives with pleas for the small businesses like DGR, Warbirds, Shuff's, and countless others whose incomes and businesses are negatively impacted by the CMP and I will recant.

Or perhaps letter you wrote to congress notifying them of the CMP's failure to abide by its charter and sell firearms as market value. I'll accept either

Orlando
04-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Not to mention the Executive Order has absolutly nothing to do with CMP as they do not Import anything.

CMP emplyess will be out of work someday anyway as Garand supplies wont go on forever

cannonshooter
04-19-2014, 06:27 PM
Well since the CMP receives its Garands from the US Army and there seems to be very little left MAP wise to return to the Army, the days of Garand sales are ending soon. Writing to your Reps on an Executive order forbiding the importation of Garands has no bearing on the CMP as they would not be getting these rifles anyway. The rifles the CMP get through the Army that were outside the Country are loans. The ones that are banned from import were sold to that Country.
Mack

Orlando
04-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Well since the CMP receives its Garands from the US Army and there seems to be very little left MAP wise to return to the Army, the days of Garand sales are ending soon.

Weeeeeell maybe. I remember years back CMP said thats it the end is here, all we have left are these Rack Grades. Those beat up wornout Rackers sold like wildfire. As soon as CMP got rid of their unwanted inventory, uh I mean Rack Grades , Greek returns of all grades suddenly became available.
I'm not believing the end is here until theFat Lady sings, the last light is turned off and the door is locked

timshufflin
04-20-2014, 07:06 AM
I would like a letter written so that the free enterprise, for profit vendors can get their hands on the inventory that we should be able to buy. If some of the officers of the CMP had their salaries cut to say $150,000 a year, that would provide a salary for at least three people at the CMP year round.

RobL
04-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Sorry guys, I just am sick to death of all the jobs that are being lost across this country and I really sick of these executive orders that bypass Congress. I didn't realize that the importing of the rifles wouldn't go to the CMP and I don't know how much the employees get paid. I have too many friends out of work or grossly under employed while the pin head in the White House keeps saying how everything is improving. I don't like seeing anybody loss a job. I just know that the people at the CMP did right by me when I had problems with my rifle.
I don't mind if someone corrects me but I do object to being berated for what I say.

Punch The Clown
04-20-2014, 09:40 AM
I have mixed feelings on the subject. It was almost 20 years age but as I recall didn't the DCM disappear via executive order, and the congress set up the CMP to somewhat circumvent the executive order? Maybe the right to sell these firearms should have been put out to bid but by the time that process was over, Orest and Captain Crunch would have finished off everything. I believe the 1911 genocide was pretty successful and the the Garands were being destroyed as fast as could be. Funny, I wonder if Orest the Saviour destroyed more firearms than he sold?

seaninmich
04-20-2014, 11:41 AM
I do object to being berated for what I say.

Who is berating you? I'm just trying to find out if you truly care about jobs and employment and free enterprise or if you only care about it when the business that furnishes you with guns below market value is threatened.

Punch The Clown
04-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Sorry guys, I just am sick to death of all the jobs that are being lost across this country and I really sick of these executive orders that bypass Congress. I didn't realize that the importing of the rifles wouldn't go to the CMP and I don't know how much the employees get paid. I have too many friends out of work or grossly under employed while the pin head in the White House keeps saying how everything is improving. I don't like seeing anybody loss a job. I just know that the people at the CMP did right by me when I had problems with my rifle.
I don't mind if someone corrects me but I do object to being berated for what I say.

Rob, don't be scared away from this place. Opinions are welcome. The only person ever banned from this forum was banned because of racist remarks which Tim has very little tolerance for.
Anyway, there are many people that make their living working on milsurp firearms and they feel the line was crossed when the CMP went into the repair-refinishing business. Imagine if DGR, Shuff, and all the others did not have to purchase parts? I too would like to see the CMP stay in business, but as far as the Korean and all the other rifles just waiting to be imported the free market should be involved.

Old Guard
04-21-2014, 09:53 AM
CMP will stay busy with capt crunch, DEmilling weapons, until they have someone out bid them ..The garands simply cannot keep popping out of the wood work..

cuppednlocked
04-21-2014, 04:24 PM
CMP will stay busy... until they have someone out bid them

OG, I'm not sure I follow you. Outbid the CMP on what?

RobL
04-25-2014, 08:27 AM
I would try to help anybody who was loosing their job if I could. When the government is involved I take the time to write letters and call their offices to let them know how I feel. In my opinion these rifles are a part of history even if they weren't used in combat and to stand by and let them destroy them is just wrong. The presidents reasoning for doing this was "To keep military weapons off of our streets". Cut me a break when was the last time you saw a gang banger carrying a Garand. So even if you don't like the CMP you should still write your representatives to try to get these rifles back in the hands of shooters in this country. These could be rifles that would end up in the gun shops around the country. I am a strong supporter of small business and free enterprise. I have one rifle that I did get from the CMP and that will probably be the only Garand that I ever will buy so there is really nothing in this for me.

Old Guard
04-25-2014, 11:26 AM
OG, I'm not sure I follow you. Outbid the CMP on what?

Just meant, FIND a cheaper way to cut up old military weapons and other items..Not sure just how many operations they have to destroy old weapons... Torches work pretty good on big stuff, but a shreader, or shear is cheaper and faster on small arms.

timshufflin
04-25-2014, 11:55 AM
I would try to help anybody who was loosing their job if I could. When the government is involved I take the time to write letters and call their offices to let them know how I feel. In my opinion these rifles are a part of history even if they weren't used in combat and to stand by and let them destroy them is just wrong. The presidents reasoning for doing this was "To keep military weapons off of our streets". Cut me a break when was the last time you saw a gang banger carrying a Garand. So even if you don't like the CMP you should still write your representatives to try to get these rifles back in the hands of shooters in this country. These could be rifles that would end up in the gun shops around the country. I am a strong supporter of small business and free enterprise. I have one rifle that I did get from the CMP and that will probably be the only Garand that I ever will buy so there is really nothing in this for me.

Sir, now there's a statement I can agree with. You'll be happy to know that I've written my representative ad nauseam regarding this issue. I think I've been writing him on this since 2010 when hillary wasn't letting them in by using the secretary of state office.

toolman
04-25-2014, 12:56 PM
RobL: Don't take anything discussed here personal. Just many here are in the private sector or have been! And realize how tough it is to survive in the private sector. Peace toolman... On a side note.. We all here know sean is a perk.. but we still love him like a red headed step child! peace toolman