PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Index Specs

ZBeast
05-08-2014, 03:40 PM
How close does the barrel have to be indexed to the receiver? Are we talking fractions of degrees or somewheres close enough. I think I am trying to hard for perfection. :confused::confused:

ZBeast
05-08-2014, 04:02 PM
It looks like I am about 2-3 tenths of a degree off from front to back. I do not want to go past tdc.

jak
05-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Personally, I strive for 0 degree difference.

ZBeast
05-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Ok, so I have cranked on 7 barrels to the receivers and things are/were looking good. If my measuring dohicky is correct I am getting 0 degrees when done. The problem barrel is a new Criterion .308 that hand times to 23.5 degrees. With the wrench and brute force/frustration and cussing the best I can get is 17 degrees. What would be the best way to remove a bit of the shoulder without access to a lathe? I was thinking of a sanding disc in between the barrel and receiver and slowly trying to cut down a bit of the offending metal. I have tried the barrel on 2 other receivers ( a Breda and a Berreta) and still not even close. Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Orlando
05-11-2014, 07:00 AM
At 23 degrees you should be able to get it to go fairly easily if you have the proper wrench and possibly use a cheater bar. Are you installing on a reparked receiver? If so you can lightly file/sand off the parkerizing on the face and that will gain you alittle

ZBeast
05-11-2014, 10:42 AM
I am using the Brownell tools for the Garand. I will try the handle extension and see how it goes. thanks,ZB.

Orlando
05-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Isnt the handle pretty short on the Brownells wrench? If so I'm sure a longer cheater handle will help greatly.
E-mail Tim to make sure but I dont think its a issue and you should be able to get it to time

jak
05-11-2014, 03:29 PM
ZBeast, In my case where I had a problem similar to yours, I would tighten the receiver/barrel as much as I could using a pipe over the handle of the wrench.
Next I would loosen it. Then I would tighten it again, then loosen. Each time I was getting it closer to be indexed properly. I don't remember how many times I
did the tighten/loosen procedure before I got the barrel to index....maybe 20-30 times. I can't explain why it worked for me, but it did.

timshufflin
05-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Personally, I strive for 0 degree difference.

Mathematically impossible. This, according to Gus Fisher, but it seems I've seen this spec change from him. He has said 1/2 degree for match rifles and 1 degree for a service rifle. I believe I've also seen him say 1/2 degree for a service rifle.

ZBeast
05-24-2014, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I made a new handle from a 1 1/4" X 4' square bar. That monster almost cranks the barrels with its own weight.I can tap/push/wiggle the receivers dead on.