PDA

View Full Version : CMP Service rifle fever..

Old Guard
05-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Okay, I knew better than to look at the photos over on CMP , of the latest Hra service rifles, that have been shipped?? I need another like i need my foot mashed, but it will be a good investment IF I get "Lucky"?I don't have the resources to buy "six", so i am just begging on a sticky, with my order..First i need my new M1CC card back, to enclose a copy with the order, so it will be a little longer..Running times seem to still be about 90 days... The Pain of an order.....$clapper$;Confused;

Orlando
05-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Dont expect toget what other people post pics of or you may be dissapointed. Go by the grade description and anything better will be a bonus

Old Guard
05-19-2014, 05:09 PM
Dont expect toget what other people post pics of or you may be dissapointed. Go by the grade description and anything better will be a bonus
Hi Orlando,
yes, thanks for the reminder..i was disappointed on my last one..I had Been sent a pristine Br from them with a new barrel...it was a real joy..then, I waited over 90 days for HRA Sg rifle that really never has made the mark, inspite of a great barrel and reciever...So it met the Minimum description ,but was not nearly as nice as other postings..it could be my mind was poisoned, by the Other postings and descriptions? You have been there a lot longer than I, Do YOU think that it is even close to what we read about?Do You really need to buy Six, to Self-mix out a really nice rifle..Inspite of this perception, the Lure of a really Nice rifle has its Appeal... Myself, I feel a bunch of people will be let down , when they finally get the IHC tractor guns out..The really good ones are going to auction.. But so are the HRA pristine examples..So, the Query..

Orlando
05-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Thats the whole problem, people post pics of the cherry rifles and guys are then dissapointed if they dont get one. You could order 6 and still not get a top of the grade rifle.
If you will be dissapointed if you get a rifle that matches the grade description I suggest ordering a higher grade rifle.

jak
05-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Okay, I knew better than to look at the photos over on CMP , of the latest Hra service rifles, that have been shipped?? I need another like i need my foot mashed, but it will be a good investment IF I get "Lucky"?I don't have the resources to buy "six", so i am just begging on a sticky, with my order..First i need my new M1CC card back, to enclose a copy with the order, so it will be a little longer..Running times seem to still be about 90 days... The Pain of an order.....$clapper$;Confused;

Maybe you will get lucky and get the rifle I'm returning tomorrow.

I ordered a S/A service grade last December and received last week. It was your typical cmp rebuild with a 1/55 barrel and replacement walnut stock. I removed the trigger group and saw lots of rust on every piece of it. Thinking I was going to keep the
rifle, I cleaned off the rust, wiped down all the parts with oil, lubed and reassembled the trigger assembly. Next I tried to disassemble the bolt to check head space. I needed a screwdriver to pry out the firing pin out of the bolt. Once I got the firing pin out I saw more rust. The inside of the bolt was rusty. When I checked head space the bolt was not even close to be closing on the "go" gauge. The barrel needed to be reamed out. CMP stuck in a 12SA bolt and obviously didn't check head space or test fire the rifle. I could have reamed out the barrel and cleaned out the bolt, but I said the hell with it. I want a replacement rifle.

Every rifle I got from cmp through mail order just met the service grade requirement. This was the worse rifle I ever received from cmp. That's why I try to hand pick my rifles at the store. Since not much Is available at the stores now, I decided to try mail order again. Maybe my replacement rifle will be better.

seaninmich
05-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Orlando is spot-on. cmp ships tens of thousands of rifles. You certainly aren't see tens of thousands of pics, are you? you see a very small fraction of a percentage. And they are always the best of the lot. No body takes the fat chick to prom then sends all his pals pics.

Old Guard
05-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Orlando is spot-on. cmp ships tens of thousands of rifles. You certainly aren't see tens of thousands of pics, are you? you see a very small fraction of a percentage. And they are always the best of the lot. No body takes the fat chick to prom then sends all his pals pics.

Ahhh Sean, as usual you are spot on..the fat chick, that was her..I have definitely been there...take a dog to the dance..After reading Jaks report, I know he will get a special rifle from CMP now..Why, because they musta grabbed it out of the wrong pile and shipped it....Yes, i wish there was another grade of rifle that would insure a 'Cherry rifle"..Even considered a bribe of extra donation on the form, some have hinted that that worked with very good results.....Still believe in the pot of Golden garand beyond the rainbow.....Orlando, you used the correct term first" Cherry", and cherry picking, only one's i have read about was rolling dunder and his cronies.. I wish i had the papers in line for Big red, so he could be my agent and get me a nice field rifle this week..but he needs all paperwork by Thursday, then he drives from Texas..todays my Friday, so I will be incognito for a few days..trying to enjoy life at home..What say you???

Old Guard
05-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Jak, it sounds like yours came from the wrong pile, The second rifle is usually a real nice one on the shipping scheme..Thanks for writing about your experience,, The forum is geared for promotion of sales for CMP..They furnish it as a service..Any one critical, gets a lashing or worst a Bashing...i only mildly complained to customer service with a request to buy the correct Op rod and firing group..I was really nice about it, offering to pay flat out for the good parts..They all said it could not be done.They also refered to the red lettering at the bottom of the form, all parts might not be matching or may be new production, to put it in short form..Anyway, i admire your efforts in keeping the rifle, even with it's shortcomings, which RUSt does not fit at all..Thanks, BUT NO THANKS, I don't need a pile of junk for my efforts..None of us want that unless it is very cheap...Last thing, were your parts matching since it had not been MOLLESTED???Gotta know for inquiring minds..thx. OG>

jak
05-20-2014, 10:56 AM
...Last thing, were your parts matching since it had not been MOLLESTED???>

Got a 6-digit 200,000 range annealed receiver. Receiver and all internal parts were cmp re-parked and the color matched the 1/55 barrel. Rear sights and clip latch were a darker post war color. Op rod was HRA and looked original. Trigger group was a mixture of SA WWII parts with WRA safety. It had a wide-base gas cylinder group with a worn finish.
Except for the trigger group, it looked like one of their typical cmp rebuilt service grades.

Old Guard
05-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Got a 6-digit 200,000 range annealed receiver. Receiver and all internal parts were cmp re-parked and the color matched the 1/55 barrel. Rear sights and clip latch were a darker post war color. Op rod was HRA and looked original. Trigger group was a mixture of SA WWII parts with WRA safety. It had a wide-base gas cylinder group with a worn finish.
Except for the trigger group, it looked like one of their typical cmp rebuilt service grades.

Sa rifle, and okay, it had the HRA rod, this just nearly never happens with the HRA rifles and visa versa..they just switch around..I did finally find a very worn hRa rod for my last one..It needs repark very badly..haven't decided to do much with it yet..The entire upper looked HRa except the rod..I must be getting OCD....I already spent way too much for this affliction, how am i going to retire? The pain of it all.....So now, you Jak, get to be surprised again in a week or so....the joy of seeing the big old long box coming by white truck.......It is christmas story over again....Enjoy, after all this purely for pleasure......:D

MH53GUNNER
05-22-2014, 09:15 PM
The EXPERTS on the CMP forum indicate that the CMP is selling new parked rifles with brand new SA post war barrels for the price of a standard Service Grade G-3.
So you can pay $995.00 for a CMP Special with a new Criterian barrel or for the price of a SG which is $625.00 get a barrel worth more than the Criterian aftermarket. LMAO.:D

One thing is for sure the CMP does not give away anything. :rolleyes:

Old Guard
06-02-2014, 12:49 PM
The EXPERTS on the CMP forum indicate that the CMP is selling new parked rifles with brand new SA post war barrels for the price of a standard Service Grade G-3.
So you can pay $995.00 for a CMP Special with a new Criterian barrel or for the price of a SG which is $625.00 get a barrel worth more than the Criterian aftermarket. LMAO.:D

One thing is for sure the CMP does not give away anything. :rolleyes:
Thats for Sure...I just sent in the paperwork, now the long wait begins all over?/ Maybe the IHC sales will make the HRA's less time to ship???Yeah, sure, but could not help it...Og.