PDA

View Full Version : Trying to save a barrel

ZBeast
06-05-2014, 08:22 PM
I have recently purchased a few Garand barrels and although they are older than I am, they still look better for their age than I do. Except for one. A Springfield '55 era that gauges perfect and the finish is good, but some crazed Dremel driver has butchered the barrel shoulder. It looks like a crazed attempt to time the barrel without using a wrench,brute force or any other traditional means of tightening. As such it over times and is way off the mark. Is there a way to repair the damage done? Maybe TIG weld a small bead where things are chewed up and lathe cut back to proper dimensions? Or just write the barrel off? Once again all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.Thanks,ZB.

Punch The Clown
06-06-2014, 10:03 PM
I have recently purchased a few Garand barrels and although they are older than I am, they still look better for their age than I do. Except for one. A Springfield '55 era that gauges perfect and the finish is good, but some crazed Dremel driver has butchered the barrel shoulder. It looks like a crazed attempt to time the barrel without using a wrench,brute force or any other traditional means of tightening. As such it over times and is way off the mark. Is there a way to repair the damage done? Maybe TIG weld a small bead where things are chewed up and lathe cut back to proper dimensions? Or just write the barrel off? Once again all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.Thanks,ZB.

Turn the shoulder back and use an inch FAL breeching washer.