PDA

View Full Version : Tank Museum

Orlando
06-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Anyone ever been to or heard of this Tank Museum in Danville VA ?
http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/index.html
They are moving to my podunk 3 traffic light town. They bought a former foundry building that has ben setting empty for years and are going to renovate and move in sometime by the end of the year
Might be interesting

Prince Humperdink
06-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Sounds neat,I love to see those old tanks restored!

LEAD POISON
06-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Bill That would be a great job.Working on old tanks,half tracksAt least take some pictures when they start to move in.
LP

Orlando
06-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Bill That would be a great job.Working on old tanks,half tracksAt least take some pictures when they start to move in.
LP

From what I hear they are going to be bringing them in on train and trucking them the last mile. Where they will be unloading off the train is right beside the Street Dept building where I work so I should be able to keep a eye on whats going on

Old Guard
06-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Okay, The museum in Ft Knox is awesome... maybe this one is for extra tanks...og.

ordmm
06-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Patton Museum has just a couple tanks. Over the last couple of years all the museum armor was moved to Fort Benning (I believe). Patton Museum is now a good place to do research on Gen. Patton. Since they moved all the armor from Ft. Knox and Aberdeen it sits in storage in Georgia as the planned new museum has no funding at this point. All part of the base re-alignment thing.

Old Guard
06-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Patton Museum has just a couple tanks. Over the last couple of years all the museum armor was moved to Fort Benning (I believe). Patton Museum is now a good place to do research on Gen. Patton. Since they moved all the armor from Ft. Knox and Aberdeen it sits in storage in Georgia as the planned new museum has no funding at this point. All part of the base re-alignment thing.

Well Crap, I enjoyed going there and planned another trip..The Huge Tiger II was a nice treat, they had it cut thru the side so you could see inside and the thickness of the armor... Guess i'l just have to enjoy my DVD, that i made of photos..I guess they had over 100 tanks..Including the one old m4 out back that was used for target practice??I always wanted one of the Aluminum models for my own to spin around the fields?

ordmm
06-12-2014, 01:17 PM
... Guess i'l just have to enjoy my DVD, that i made of photos..I guess they had over 100 tanks..Including the one old m4 out back that was used for target practice??I always wanted one of the Aluminum models for my own to spin around the fields?

Well, you will always have the memories. Yeah, that Tiger was one heck of a machine to look at.

Jimbo Slice
06-12-2014, 05:53 PM
The Huge Tiger II was a nice treat, they had it cut thru the side so you could see inside and the thickness of the armor...

Oh my... I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. I mean... why on Earth would they dissect a Tiger II? And a Sherman for target practice? Yikes.

I can understand wanting to beat our weapons back into plows after the war, but I wish that there was more thought put into the preservation of historic equipment back then.

timshufflin
06-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Ohio has everything, you have that neat plane museum and now this.

LEAD POISON
06-12-2014, 08:17 PM
Ohio has everything, you have that neat plane museum and now this.

And Orlando too:

Old Guard
06-13-2014, 09:13 AM
The Ohio AirForce Museum is really Awesome adventure..Each time I drive up there it has been expanded..There are planes and missles up there you will Never see any where else..Like the Nuclear Missle train and Indestructo Mobile truck Launcher set..The last Supersonic Bomber, and a Blackbird XR71 varient....Back to Tank subject, I am going to miss that Tiger II...Need to track it down..If it goes to Benning, then here i come..I was there many moons ago and the paratroop part was coming along nicely..like to see it now..

Old Guard
06-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Oh my... I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. I mean... why on Earth would they dissect a Tiger II? And a Sherman for target practice? Yikes.

I can understand wanting to beat our weapons back into plows after the war, but I wish that there was more thought put into the preservation of historic equipment back then.
The Poor Surplus Sherman was outback and it had projectile holes and some heads that failed to penatrate for decor..maybe it came from overseas duty?? The Tiger was cut thru the turrent and had gunner and drivers in it..It was quite a tool to understand a tough tank..If i remember correct ly it was 63 tons?? A lot of Foreign tanks there for display... I still believe it would be very un-nerving to hear enemy shell bouncing off the outside of any tank..Any Heat round and you would not feel much any more..

Jimbo Slice
06-13-2014, 10:09 AM
The poor Sherman tank... Under-armored and under-gunned (75mm) it was referred to as "Purple Heart Boxes" and "Tommy Cookers" because it very easily caught fire when hit.

However, it was relatively fast, had an ingenious gun stabilizer and was built in mass quantities. After the Americans added the 76mm gun on the "Easy 8" model and the Brits added a 17lb gun in the "Firefly" version they were actually quite a formidable weapon.

EDIT: Sorry guys, just rambling some useless trivia this morning. That museum looks great.

Old Guard
06-13-2014, 03:28 PM
The poor Sherman tank... Under-armored and under-gunned (75mm) it was referred to as "Purple Heart Boxes" and "Tommy Cookers" because it very easily caught fire when hit.

However, it was relatively fast, had an ingenious gun stabilizer and was built in mass quantities. After the Americans added the 76mm gun on the "Easy 8" model and the Brits added a 17lb gun in the "Firefly" version they were actually quite a formidable weapon.

EDIT: Sorry guys, just rambling some useless trivia this morning. That museum looks great.
Not Ramblings to me..They were also called "Ronson Lighters" by some troops..Some of those light tanks had over 6 crews in them while in service..You can always pick the later models..they had 1/2 inch steel plates welded to the front side covering the driver from the left side..Then a later plate on right side,added to shield a gunner..Spare tracks were mounted to the front housing.But the 88 flak gun had no trouble cracking one at over 1000 meters.. the german tankers just called them'Target practice' A shermans best shot was to the side between tracks or in the butt-end on german equip, could not peneatrate the front slope or the turrant.....

Orlando
06-13-2014, 04:08 PM
I posted this before but some may not have seen it. Click on the links in the post for videos
http://forum.shuffsparkerizing.com/showthread.php?2566-I-Witnessed-A-Awesome-Sight!!!!!!!!

M1orNone
06-13-2014, 04:57 PM
I wish we had museums like that around here. The only tank near here is an old M7 Priest sitting in front of the NG armory in Hamilton.

Old Guard
06-14-2014, 10:36 AM
yeap, None here, But Mississippi has a few M60's around the area south of here..We have the old field artillery lining the river banks here..Ark. has several of the old long barreled Sp artillery pieces...My guard unit used the M109sp, 155mm, when i was active..Nashville had the old towed 6 inch arty. cannons..

jbkf1003
06-14-2014, 10:32 PM
What good is a tank thread with no pics?

Here are a few from my last 'Business Trip'
My brother in front of a Sherman at Clervaux Castle, Clervaux Luxembourg:

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u673/jbkf1003/20140413_105157_zps28807e38.jpg

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u673/jbkf1003/20140413_105516_zpsca72d08a.jpg

Bastogne War Museum:

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u673/jbkf1003/20140413_132651_zpsbfcf2974.jpg

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u673/jbkf1003/20140413_143717_zps64894ce5.jpg

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u673/jbkf1003/20140413_132453_zps90a6a5ce.jpg

Justin

Old Guard
06-16-2014, 02:55 PM
I need that quad 50 for my tailgate gun..Imagine their faces...We had one of the harleys here with a side car..plus the russian mate to it..