PDA

View Full Version : BM59 Project Delayed... Again...

Eli
06-17-2014, 11:24 PM
I got this instead, already had 50 magazines for it on hand...
At least it's the right caliber!

Eli

Orlando
06-18-2014, 06:08 AM
Ii had one for a short while, strange how the chamber is fluted

timshufflin
06-18-2014, 08:01 AM
I just parkerized one of those on Monday.

cuppednlocked
06-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Nice looking rifle!

Old Guard
06-19-2014, 09:47 AM
I got this instead, already had 50 magazines for it on hand...
At least it's the right caliber!

Eli

With 50 mags i assume you have one already..be sure to watch your Brass...If it comes out fluffy and blackened, then check your bolt..Mine has fired with out the bolt being locked..Prt91...Normally it is just marked from Fluted...I presume the chamber was to help with cooling, defintely ejects well..

Eli
06-19-2014, 12:22 PM
With 50 mags i assume you have one already..be sure to watch your Brass...If it comes out fluffy and blackened, then check your bolt..Mine has fired with out the bolt being locked..Prt91...Normally it is just marked from Fluted...I presume the chamber was to help with cooling, defintely ejects well..

I got a good deal on the magazines last year - 25 cost me about what a single BM59 magazine costs!
I've read about the bolt gap, and the shortcomings of the PTR91 and G3/HK91 design. It's an interesting design, still in production, and seems to offer AK reliability with a US/NATO caliber and inexpensive parts.
How many other rifles can fire without the extractor?

Eli

Old Guard
06-19-2014, 02:15 PM
I got a good deal on the magazines last year - 25 cost me about what a single BM59 magazine costs!
I've read about the bolt gap, and the shortcomings of the PTR91 and G3/HK91 design. It's an interesting design, still in production, and seems to offer AK reliability with a US/NATO caliber and inexpensive parts.

Eli

They are cool rifles..The buttplate is a little tough on the shoulder..but don't fall for the collapsable stock spill..Several references made to it, marked it as harder to shoot and control..Mine has a brand new green stock , recoil spring and Buffer..helped it to feel better on firing..Sportmans guide sometimes has some good deals..BTW, I don't have nearly that many mags, but some were Brand-new, aluminum,sold as surplus..I still don't have a bm59 mag either.

Eli
06-19-2014, 05:46 PM
They are cool rifles..The buttplate is a little tough on the shoulder..but don't fall for the collapsable stock spill..Several references made to it, marked it as harder to shoot and control..Mine has a brand new green stock , recoil spring and Buffer..helped it to feel better on firing..Sportmans guide sometimes has some good deals..BTW, I don't have nearly that many mags, but some were Brand-new, aluminum,sold as surplus..I still don't have a bm59 mag either.

I just bought some BM59 magazines last week, in preparation for a build!
I may try the collapsible stock, and there are gunsmiths that'll shorten the barrel and pin the flash hider for 16" OAL, but then you can mount the bayonet...

Eli

TommyD11730
06-20-2014, 11:10 AM
HD buffer tamed my 91. 30+ years of ownership not 1 FTF! Love the HK diopter sights, but that's just me. Only gripe is bolt closed after last round fired.

Eli
06-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Only gripe is bolt closed after last round fired.

I grew up on AKs, I'm used to that.

Eli

TommyD11730
06-20-2014, 04:07 PM
LOL, taught me how to count.

Eli
06-20-2014, 05:46 PM
LOL, taught me how to count.

My late father taught me that early on - he was ex-military, ex-police, and oftentimes rangemaster!

Eli

Old Guard
06-20-2014, 06:12 PM
Learning to shoot at 8 years old, Most of the time it was ONE SHOT, make it Count....Still is today, but shoot a follow-up shot if the target is dangerous..

Sounds Good
07-22-2014, 05:29 PM

Eli

I don't know about rifles, but I have an HK P7M10 that lost the extractor at the range one day and it didn't even miss a beat. No fail to extract at all. I sent it back to HK and I got it back 6 months later. They didn't charge me to fix it and they even threw in a spare. Never needed it though and that was 24 years ago. Gotta love german engineering.