PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here ordering the C grade recievers? From CMP..

Old Guard
06-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Curious, They are selling some with light pitting..Saw a couple with pitting around the barrel on top..Was I The Only one here whom drank the cmp Koolaid?l

Orlando
06-23-2014, 06:22 PM
Light pitting?????
I ordered 3 hoping they were going to be better than the description but from what I have seen pics of I wont be using any of them if mine arrive in same condition.

jak
06-23-2014, 08:21 PM
I ordered 2 receivers because I have enough spare parts to build 2 more rifles.
Pitting doesn't affect the function of the rifle....only the appearance.
But I hope the receivers I get are better than the description.

Dave
06-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Not me, I'm done building rifles except for the gas trap I'm working on. That will be my last. Really, I mean it. I'm going to stop after that one. I'm a grown man, I can stop anytime I want.

Orlando
06-24-2014, 05:55 AM
Pitting doesn't affect the function of the rifle....only the appearance.

Correct but I dont like to build ugly rifles :)

Old Guard
06-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Light pitting?????
I ordered 3 hoping they were going to be better than the description but from what I have seen pics of I wont be using any of them if mine arrive in same condition.

Yes, Exactly, I had to get the order in quickly..Never know just how many will be left...then i saw some of the mail order results..Maybe i can use one of them? You will at least get one nice one out of the three..Hopefully, but if we did not drink the Kool-aid then we could be remorseful later.

Old Guard
06-24-2014, 08:42 AM
Not me, I'm done building rifles except for the gas trap I'm working on. That will be my last. Really, I mean it. I'm going to stop after that one. I'm a grown man, I can stop anytime I want.

Yeah, I feel your pain, I was thru with building them too..But Alias, The URGE, here it comes again..

jbkf1003
06-24-2014, 02:13 PM
I toy with pulling the trigger on one or two, but haven't yet.. For that price though you could stock up a few and in a couple years you'll probably be able to sell them for $500 a piece on Gunbroker even in that condition... It seems even recovered drill rifle receivers with welded oprod tracks command atleast $300+.

Orlando
07-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Heres a question. Say the serial number is so light that it cant all be read would it be legal to build it into a complete firing rifle??

melloman
07-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Heres a question. Say the serial number is so light that it cant all be read would it be legal to build it into a complete firing rifle??

Why not? The CMP certificate should have the serial number on it.

jbkf1003
07-02-2014, 06:29 PM
That's what I'd go by

Orlando
07-02-2014, 06:35 PM
CMP paperwork means nothing.
My question is, "Is it legal to own a firearm if serial is illegible?"

jbkf1003
07-02-2014, 07:05 PM
I think the general answer is 'probably not', but illegible to whom? It was obvious enough that the CMP was able to transcribe it, and issue a certificate for it. I'm sure you could get an expert witness that can put it under a magnifying glass and read it. They are more interested in people who remove or alter serial numbers. If you did something like repark it that defaced it more that might be a problem, otherwise I don't think anyone is going to give you a problem on an 'antique weapon' especially when you have documentation from a government sanctioned corporation that gets free surplus product, as to what the serial number is.

Just my .02.

Captain Teague
07-02-2014, 10:22 PM
CMP paperwork means nothing.
My question is, "Is it legal to own a firearm if serial is illegible?"

I would say it would be legal.

BTW-I received 2 C receivers. One was excellent the other had some pitting and the lettering is faint. Serial number is faint, but legible.