PDA

View Full Version : CMP Stock Stain

jbkf1003
07-05-2014, 08:41 PM
I have a new production CMP stock set that came with a cracked rear handguard. The CMP says I could send the whole set back and they'd exchange it, but I really like the grain on it and don't want to chance it on a different set.

I called Dupage and they are sending me an unfinished one (for a fee), but they couldn't tell me exactly what the CMP does to finish them, he says he thinks it's a minwax walnut stain. Anyone ever try to match one of these? Any tips?

Thanks
Justin

Orlando
07-06-2014, 02:22 PM
If it were me I would strip it and start over. I dont care for the thin finish and color that comes on CMP stocks.
Why not just send back the cracked handguard to CMP instead of the whole stock set????

jbkf1003
07-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Yeah they are DRY. I have just added 5-6 coats of BLO in the past to these stocks and they have turned out decent.

I tried to just get a handguard, but they only wanted to exchange the whole set. A few years ago I cracked a handguard during install, my fault, and admitted it, they shipped me one for free, this time it came cracked and I have to ship the whole stock set back. See what happens when Orest leaves!

$Svomit$

I will probably try to match it first, if not Stripping it is not a bad idea... Or I may send it back...

Thanks
Justin

cannonshooter
07-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Get some of Orest's man butter Punch was trying to sell. If it comes from the Great Orest it must not only polish a knob but polish and repair a stock also.
Mack