PDA

View Full Version : What to keep?

Shemp
07-15-2014, 01:28 PM
So, thanks to the fine folks at Tricare, I now must foot the bill for the birth of my first child until all the paperwork gets cleared up. Long story short, we didn't get her birth certificate until she was nearly 2 months which was well past the registration period for Tricare, prompting an extension request which is now in limbo. The hospital is breathing down my neck and went as far as to contact my unit.

I have to sell one of my rifles and simply can't decide which one. Once the extension gets approved and Tricare backdates her coverage to pay for the hospital expense( I sure hope they do), money won't be an issue and I could keep them all. I just don't know how long it's going to take and the hospital is asking for $1k right now, so I need to sell something. I had been considering selling my M1A as getting out of it and .308 would free up a lot of money, but it's just such a good rifle and I don't think I could build another one like it for what I have in it. Selling it would free up enough to cover my new found medical expenses and buy a 1903 with even more HXP ammo.

The three I have to choose from to sell are as follows:

IHC with LMR barrel, ME 1 TE 1.5. CMP stock, overall good shape. NM op rod, other parts are mostly SA.

1994 build SA M1A with USGI barrel ('62), op rod, trigger group/parts, TRW bolt and 8 USGI mags

2.7 mil SA May 1944 with original barrel and op rod, all other parts are SA and are within a few months of May '44 for the most part. Has what looks to be original lock-bar rear sight, gas cylinder. Was rebuild at Augusta Arsenal at some point and wears original wood except the top hand guard. It does, however, have the eary Century Imports electric pencil import mrking on the receiver.

Which would you part with?
M1A

IHC

SA

jbkf1003
07-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Congrats on the new girl!

1st off I hope it all works out for you, and you don't have to do anything. If you expect that they will cover it I might put it on a credit card, hoping to get reimbursed. If not you can always sell something in a month or two to pay the CC bill.

But if it's necessary, I would part out the M1A. It's not a historic rifle and you should make a killing on the USGI Parts.

Nice how they suck the joy out of a joyful situation!

Justin

Shemp
07-15-2014, 02:02 PM
I would part out the M1A. It's not a historic rifle and you should make a killing on the USGI Parts.

Justin

Very true.

I should also mention that whatever I am left with is all I will have, so if the Chicoms invaded or the libs did a gun-grab the Garands would become my go-to weapons.

And yes, it's wonderful how Tricare always seems to rear it ugly head to take the fun out of life. I'm really not big on using credit cards. I have one for emergencies, but 85% of what I do is cash...

jbkf1003
07-15-2014, 02:22 PM
I hear you on the CCs. I see no problem with having just the Garands though, If either happens 8 rounds of 30-06 is good enough to get you another weapon if needed.. $auto$

Good luck sir. Let us know how it works out.

timshufflin
07-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Congrats! Seriously, you are a blessed man. Now, what is a Tricare? Sounds like something bad.

seaninmich
07-15-2014, 08:24 PM
the 2.7 mil won't get you enough money to cover the $1000 bill so might as well plan to keep that.

Shemp
07-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Congrats! Seriously, you are a blessed man. Now, what is a Tricare? Sounds like something bad.

Thanks sir! As I am not well versed in internet sarcasm ( or lack thereof), Tricare is the military healthcare system. It is a blessing and the worst of curses...

seaninmich
07-15-2014, 08:53 PM
Tricare is the military healthcare system. It is a blessing and the worst of curses...

If the government is involved in it, I can see no upside

Shemp
07-15-2014, 09:25 PM
If the government is involved in it, I can see no upside

Well it actually is very good insurance; you just have to deal with the military, the VA, and Tricare itself. If there was ever an exercise in frustration....

jbkf1003
07-15-2014, 09:39 PM
the 2.7 mil won't get you enough money to cover the $1000 bill so might as well plan to keep that.

I dunno Sean... Maybe not to someone who knows anything but seen gunbroker lately?

Shemp
07-16-2014, 12:30 AM
Anyone else have a thought?

Brinks352
07-16-2014, 12:35 AM
I would do the M1A.

Orlando
07-16-2014, 04:53 AM
Are you saying that your insurance will reimberse you for any hospital bills you pay?
If so I wouldnt sell any of them, call billing dept either tell them to hold on and wait insurace is going to pay or send them a small payment a month that you canafford. If all you can afford is $50 send it, that will buy you some time until Insurance pays up.
Generally if you are trying to make some sort of payment they arent going to turn it down

Shemp
07-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Are you saying that your insurance will reimberse you for any hospital bills you pay?
If so I wouldnt sell any of them, call billing dept either tell them to hold on and wait insurace is going to pay or send them a small payment a month that you canafford. If all you can afford is $50 send it, that will buy you some time until Insurance pays up.
Generally if you are trying to make some sort of payment they arent going to turn it down

As far as I can tell I WILL NOT be reimbursed for any expenses I pay out of my pocket even if they do approve the extension and backdate her coverage. The bill for the entire hospital stay totaled $17,900. I asked the hospital for some leniency and they basically said it has already been 5 months which is lenient enough. Believe me, I would not be considering selling anything unless I had any other options. I've been giving them a few hundred dollars here and there over the last 5 months but they said they need more.

timshufflin
07-16-2014, 10:48 AM
As far as I can tell I WILL NOT be reimbursed for any expenses I pay out of my pocket even if they do approve the extension and backdate her coverage. The bill for the entire hospital stay totaled $17,900. I asked the hospital for some leniency and they basically said it has already been 5 months which is lenient enough. Believe me, I would not be considering selling anything unless I had any other options. I've been giving them a few hundred dollars here and there over the last 5 months but they said they need more.

If you had the coverage at the time of the "incident". No way I pay a dime more then I am supposed to under my coverage contract. I have had some minor issues with my private, self funded, insurance in the past but in pales in comparison to ANY of the stories I've heard about those who have been in the military. Sadly, my government wants to bring this great service to everyone now and have everyone be forced to pay for it.

Don't sell a thing! If you are right, tell them all to pound sand.

LEAD POISON
07-16-2014, 10:55 AM
If your making an honest effort to pay (any amount) they can't (shouldn't) mess with you.
If your situation is such that you can't feed your family or pay your morgage,There's always (bankruptcy).
Evan mentioning it to them,may help.

Shemp
07-16-2014, 11:28 AM
If your making an honest effort to pay (any amount) they can't (shouldn't) mess with you.
If your situation is such that you can't feed your family or pay your morgage,There's always (bankruptcy).
Evan mentioning it to them,may help.

Well things aren't THAT bad...yet. It's just hard for me to justify being in continual debt like this when I have $10k in hobby materials just siting around.

Tim- I was covered at the time but because the great state of Georgia lost our paperwork and took 2 months or so to give us her birth certificate we couldn't register her in DEERS until well after the cutoff date. Not being registered in DEERS for 2 months caused us to miss the Tricare registration cutoff. Yes, two different entities for the same thing. Luckily I was able to flex my rank at the base to get the DEERS thing taken care of, but Tricare couldn't care less if you're an Airman Basic or a 4 star.

Jimbo Slice
07-16-2014, 05:58 PM
It's just hard for me to justify being in continual debt like this when I have $10k in personal property just siting around.

Fixed that for ya.

If you are in the right, there is no reason why you should have to liquidate personal property because some lazy ass pencil pusher is failing at his/her job.

Stand by your guns (literally).

Old Guard
07-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Anyone else have a thought?

Well, If you are making payments, They cannot or Won't take much harder action..IMHO...Payment keep them from saying you are not trying... Insurance here, May or may not pay for some of the simplest tests??..I used to ask the Doctor Not to perform any tests that were not covered by Cigna..Now with OBcare, it is a dead gamble, and sometimes i do pay the statements that follow..There is a very costly test that involves why my feet feel thick and tingle?..{Suspected nerve damage?}I have just opted not to do the testing..In you case of late birth certificate i would hope that someone will listen and be reasonable to help you get her taken care of without a lot more worry...

Shemp
07-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Well, If you are making payments, They cannot or Won't take much harder action..IMHO...Payment keep them from saying you are not trying... Insurance here, May or may not pay for some of the simplest tests??..I used to ask the Doctor Not to perform any tests that were not covered by Cigna..Now with OBcare, it is a dead gamble, and sometimes i do pay the statements that follow..There is a very costly test that involves why my feet feel thick and tingle?..{Suspected nerve damage?}I have just opted not to do the testing..In you case of late birth certificate i would hope that someone will listen and be reasonable to help you get her taken care of without a lot more worry...

There's nothing reasonable in the govt bureaucracy I have come to call The Beast...

Prince Humperdink
07-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Congratulations on the new baby Girl!Hope the other issues work themselves out!

kwg020
07-21-2014, 10:41 PM
You pay no more than 20% of any hospital bill when you are on Tricare. Send the Hospital 10% of the bill and send the other 10% when they squeal again. By that time you should have the Tricare glitch worked out. kwg

mp_tx
07-21-2014, 11:53 PM
Shemp--Have you investigated all the .mil and Veteran agencies that help with these kind of issues, as well as provide loans for situations such as what you describe? You can't dip into savings to cover the $1000?

Shemp
07-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Shemp--Have you investigated all the .mil and Veteran agencies that help with these kind of issues, as well as provide loans for situations such as what you describe? You can't dip into savings to cover the $1000?

I can indeed, I just have a hard time justifying dipping into savings when I have so much money tied up in a rifle that spends 95% of the time in the safe. It also forces me to make a decision I've been putting off for a while as I can't afford to feed both platforms.

I haven't looked into too many of those agencies. I can't imagine there are any that could help with this specific situation. Do you have any suggestion of where to start?