PDA

View Full Version : Front sight on Carbine filing

timshufflin
07-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Okay, am I having a brain fart or just going nuts? I have a customer whose carbine is shooting high. He has been given advice from a retired gunsmith to file his front sight down to lower his point of impact.

On any Garand I have ever worked on we buy tall front sights to lower the point of impact or we grind down the rear aperture to do the same. He is sending the rifle to the CMP to have this done and have it sighted in. I couldn't possibly care less about who's doing what but I feel like I'm going nuts and I'm only 48 :)

seaninmich
07-29-2014, 06:53 PM
If you shorten the front sight, you will raise the POI

LEAD POISON
07-29-2014, 07:32 PM
If you shorten the front sight, you will raise the POI

What Sean said.

timshufflin
07-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Apparently you two must be wrong too.

seaninmich
07-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Apparently you two must be wrong too.

I have been wrong EXACTLY TWO TIMES in the last 30 years. This is not one of those times

LEAD POISON
07-29-2014, 10:43 PM
And I have never been wong.

Orlando
07-30-2014, 05:59 AM
You always move the front sight opposite of the direction you want the POI to move, and yes you are nuts Tim

jbkf1003
07-30-2014, 07:14 AM
Though it pains me to say it, these guys are indeed right. Think about it, if you file the front sight down, then you must move the muzzle up to center the front sight post in the rear aperture. The opposite is true (obviously) if you build it up.

There are a lot of shoty gunsmiths out there, maybe there is a reason this guy is retired.

Are we sure it hasn't been filed already and a New Sight post won't fix it?

ordmm
07-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Customer is always right. Guy says that sight needs to be shorter then so be it. CMP will hang a sight on the rifle, shoot it, get it on target, and send the guy an invoice. Customer will post how amazing the CMP Pro Shop is and know in his mind that it was correct to file his front sight down to lower his point of impact. And for the rest of eternity everyone else was wrong. Customer is always right unless he is wrong...but only good business to nod your head in agreement, take their money, and give them a decal or some such thing. And....he will be able to market his carbine as "being built by the CMP pro-shop". Win-Win for everyone.

(Not against the CMP pro shop. It's all about perceived value and customer service)

themeowman
07-30-2014, 07:43 PM
I must agree with Tim & all. If you shorten the front sight you raise the POI.
Tom

timshufflin
07-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Customer is always right. Guy says that sight needs to be shorter then so be it. CMP will hang a sight on the rifle, shoot it, get it on target, and send the guy an invoice. Customer will post how amazing the CMP Pro Shop is and know in his mind that it was correct to file his front sight down to lower his point of impact. And for the rest of eternity everyone else was wrong. Customer is always right unless he is wrong...but only good business to nod your head in agreement, take their money, and give them a decal or some such thing. And....he will be able to market his carbine as "being built by the CMP pro-shop". Win-Win for everyone.

(Not against the CMP pro shop. It's all about perceived value and customer service)

Funny, I believe he's having the pro shop do it. This man is a great customer but I told him he had to raise the front sight, get a taller one, I lost out. I'm not in any way boning on my customer, I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not completely crazy. I even test fired a carbine today and imagined the front sight being taller while shooting, my POI when down just like I thought it should.

Old Guard
07-31-2014, 08:42 AM
Funny, I believe he's having the pro shop do it. This man is a great customer but I told him he had to raise the front sight, get a taller one, I lost out. I'm not in any way boning on my customer, I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not completely crazy. I even test fired a carbine today and imagined the front sight being taller while shooting, my POI when down just like I thought it should.

Just keep it down, you haven't lost it...You would believe that the customer could hold the rifle in position and do the same sighting..even use his imagination..I follow the idea of him saying the pro- shop worked on his carbine, as a sales booster..=;Confused;

cannonshooter
07-31-2014, 09:18 AM
And could he then say the CMP custom shop lubed his carbine with Orest's man butter after they sighted in his carbine? After all wont the Carbine shoot better lubed that way?
Mack

jbkf1003
07-31-2014, 09:53 AM
Who knows maybe Orest sighted it in himself... Prove he didn't...

Punch The Clown
07-31-2014, 11:38 AM
Tim, did you take into account spin drift on the bullet? What about the curvature of the Earth? Remember when shooting uphill hold low, and when shooting downhill hold high! How do you know his range is level

Just kidding of course.

jbkf1003
07-31-2014, 11:44 AM
Tim, did you take into account spin drift on the bullet? What about the curvature of the Earth? Remember when shooting uphill hold low, and when shooting downhill hold high! How do you know his range is level

Just kidding of course.

You forgot the Coriolis effect. I wonder which way Orest's toilet spins!

ordmm
07-31-2014, 01:37 PM
You forgot the Coriolis effect. I wonder which way Orest's toilet spins!

Good point! If you hold the carbine gangbanger style...then low would be high, and high would be low. See, easy to figure out.