PDA

View Full Version : Ported gas plug and Mini-G

centurion20000
08-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Will this

http://www.garandgear.com/m1garand/detail/33-springs-and-things/flypage/75-ported-gas-plug?sef=hcfp

work on a mini-G or with a muzzle brake?

Thanks.

Punch The Clown
08-01-2014, 08:52 PM
No. The adjustable plug is what you want. Muzzle devices change the gas pressure tremendously and requires fine tuning only a Shuster can provide.

centurion20000
08-02-2014, 01:44 AM
At the risk of sounding dumb, why and how is this better than the other one?

Orlando
08-02-2014, 07:43 AM
IMO you want the Schuster , I dont buy into the "one size fits all" that Garand Gear sells. People go to Garand Gears because they dont want to take a few extra minutes to fine tune the Schuster

jbkf1003
08-02-2014, 08:20 AM
This one is non-adjustable, It is 'gentler' than the original USGI plugs as it bleeds off more gas, and is supposed to let you use heavier loads in full size garands, but the Schuster plug has a set screw which allows you go really adjust the gas system to run reliably with the least amount as gas pressure (most gentle on the action). It's a must for the Mini-Gs.

Justin

timshufflin
08-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Garand Gear is probably fine on a standard Garand. It does not usually work on a Mini-G. I can only say that I have personally tested this theory and don't care to discuss the why and how.

Punch The Clown
08-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Garand Gear is probably fine on a standard Garand. It does not usually work on a Mini-G. I can only say that I have personally tested this theory and don't care to discuss the why and how.

I'll tell. We tried INCREASING the volume in the gas cylinder, as the Garand Gear plug does, on a rifle with a worn gas system and voila-it would cycle. Our theory was that the increased volume of gas in the gas cylinder would keep expanding giving the op rod a longer "push". Just a theory, but it worked. That was when Tim was fun and in an experimenting mode.