PDA

View Full Version : Italian parkerizing and olive oil polishing

FluffyTheCat
08-12-2014, 12:18 AM
I have been corresponding with someone at Breda. I asked my friend why the Parkerizing on Italian Garands feels so smooth. He explained to me that every Breda Garand was hand polished with very fine steel wool. This polishing took place after Parkerizing.

Sometimes olive oil from the company cafeteria was used in the polishing process.

So, my buddy tried to parkerize some receivers and he polished one of them with olive oil.

It has a very slight green hue and it looks beautiful.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu138/Fluffy9lives/001_zps6dea3d751_zpscc2bdfcc.jpg (http://s641.photobucket.com/user/Fluffy9lives/media/001_zps6dea3d751_zpscc2bdfcc.jpg.html)

Orlando
08-12-2014, 06:22 AM
You can get the same affect with grease if you dont have olive oil laying around

Old Guard
08-12-2014, 09:08 AM
You can get the same affect with grease if you dont have olive oil laying around

Then, it would not taste as good..LOL..I'm a Bacon grease man myself..I am going to try some drippings on my C grade reciever, just to see if it does work?? Never can tell might start a new Fad?

jcote
08-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Very nice love the polished look

jcote
08-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Sorry to high jack this post but I couldn't figure how to start a new thread. I'm curious if there's a safe way to re angle the rear site recticle on the M1. Although its clear the site picture appears slightly oval. I'm curious if there's a way to fix it without risk of braking it. Thank you in advance and sorry for the intrusion.

Orlando
08-29-2014, 05:54 AM
I would say that has something to do with your eyesight.

jcote
08-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Maybe your correct but then all of the eye exams I've had that say I have 20/15 are incorrect. I guess it could be my sight picture but the sight appears bent rearward slightly and it makes the outer ring look out of round.

Old Guard
08-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Jcote, Hi, but have you been there to the optomitrist lately? There are all types of devices to look thru, to detect problems with vision.. Pressure check every year on the eyes..Might be surprised...

jak
08-29-2014, 02:38 PM
Maybe your correct but then all of the eye exams I've had that say I have 20/15 are incorrect. I guess it could be my sight picture but the sight appears bent rearward slightly and it makes the outer ring look out of round.

You could have 20/15 vision, but you also may have astigmatism. Pictures of the sight would help too.
To start a new post, open up a category (M1 Garand, Recreation Room, etc) "Post New Tread" is on the top

jcote
08-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Thanks new here so not even sure if I'm able to start a thread. As for the vision I don't have trouble with any of my other guns and the rifle is off to Tim's to get parkerized so pics available yet.