PDA

View Full Version : I gotta vent

Orlando
08-14-2014, 05:08 PM
I just found out the county I live in has redone their flood plain maps. Those in it now if you have a Mortgage have to get flood insurance, if you dont it will be considered a default on your loan.
Guess what I am now in the area, no freakin way! There is a river (small creek really) probably 1/2 mile or farther away from my house. We have had some of the heaviest rains this spring I have seen in 26 years we have lived here. The water came out of the banks and went into the city park maybe 100 feet at maybe a depth of 12 inches at the deepest.
The new flood plain area never has flooded ever, and not even close to flooding
Most of the houses between me and the river are not in the flood plain, makes sense right? It starts at the corner of my house and runs several blocks away from the river/creek. Even though my actual house isnt in the flood plain as it cuts across the corner of my lot I would still be required to get insurance!!
My Mortgage is paid so I am supposeably exempt from getting insurance but if and when I decide to sell this will only make my property worth less
If I want to fight their findings I have to file ,pay $1000 and prove they are wrong!! I hear they have been working for 8 years updating these maps and I would only have 90 days to prove them wrong. :mad::mad::mad::mad:
I understand the Govt is probably tired of bailing out people who decide to build houses in a high prone area for disasters but this is completely unbeleiveable. Just leave me the heck alone and let me live in peace!!

jbkf1003
08-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Flood insurance is a gov't program to begin with, so best way to increase revenue is to make more people (who will never file a claim) buy it! Brilliant! Soon we'll all have to buy it just like healthcare.

Orlando
08-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Flood insurance is a gov't program to begin with, so best way to increase revenue is to make more people (who will never file a claim) buy it! Brilliant! Soon we'll all have to buy it just like healthcare.

What I meant was FEMA is tired of bailing people out and rightly so. Build your house on a cliff and it falls over, build a home in a swamp where it will flood why should my taxes help build you another.

Jimbo Slice
08-14-2014, 06:51 PM
What I meant was FEMA is tired of bailing people out and rightly so. Build your house on a cliff and it falls over, build a home in a swamp where it will flood why should my taxes help build you another.

I love watching TV after a natural disaster and all of the weepy heroes are out in full force claiming how much they love the location and how they are soooo determined to build again on the same spot.

I just want to reach through the television, grab them by the shoulders and scream, "YOU ARE A F@&%ING MORON! Why should my insurance premiums and tax rates be affected because you can't live without a scenic vista and the smell of rotting horseshoe crabs?"

The best ones have had to rebuild several times through several generations. I want to tell those special cases that Great Grampa Cletus has set them up for failure by being an inept human being and building the family homestead in a hotbed of natural disaster.

Then I would ask all of them if they know the definition of insanity.

Yeah, Orlando touched on one of my pet peeves... :SHTF:

Insurance sons a bitches... too, don't get me started on the root cause of the problem. Gosh darn rackateering is what it is...

Talk about a fleecing... sheesh...

Extortion even...

<Walks off grumbling to himself about polecats and how high one can stack feces>

timshufflin
08-14-2014, 07:26 PM
"inept human being"

You're almost there but you still call them human beings.

Jimbo Slice
08-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Well, since it wasn't in the war room I figured I ought to tone it down. I'll try better next time Sir.

Old Guard
08-15-2014, 09:21 AM
Orlando and jimbo, yeap you hit a nerve with most of us poor working slobs..The flood plain has been raised here too..fema is trying to fatten the coffers and make nearly anyone buy flood insurance..I buy Earthquake insurance, it is climbing and the coverage has very high deductables..i live in a Brick home on one of the highest areas for hundreds of miles..My BH is looking at Miss. for us a new retirement home...the flood plain down there is scary at best...trying to get the real data is a joke..as the agent is either not knowing, ignorant or just devious...when it comes to future insurance on a purchase...One house we just looked at a neighbor volunteered and said' the water this year had been chest deep across the road'.?? "Don't worry Son the Gov. will help you out if you are in trouble." OG out..

Orlando
08-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Ya, the "river" that could possibly flood out my whole town is maybe 15 ft or so across, a foot - foot and half average depth. Its a real raging torrent

Jimbo Slice
08-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Fight the power?

Eli
08-17-2014, 03:01 AM
Can you get an elevation certificate? What does the FEMA flood map say?

Eli

timshufflin
08-17-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm so confused, I don't see where in Article I Section 8 of the US Constitution how the Government is tasked with managing flood insurance?
Article I - The Legislative Branch
Section 8

Clause 1:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Clause 2:

To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

Clause 3:

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

Clause 4:

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

Clause 5:

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

Clause 6:

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

Clause 7:

To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

Clause 8:

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

Clause 9:

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

Clause 10:

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

Clause 11:

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

Clause 12:

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

Clause 13:

To provide and maintain a Navy;

Clause 14:

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

Clause 15:

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

Clause 16:

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

Clause 17:

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And

Clause 18:

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Orlando
08-17-2014, 01:21 PM
http://www.examiner.org/news/39138-updated-floodplain-maps-presented

Old Guard
08-18-2014, 11:40 AM
http://www.examiner.org/news/39138-updated-floodplain-maps-presented

Orlando, the newspaper article does not look too good..Fighting the ruling will take some money and time? Do you feel that you can win your points? I believe all this other flooding and the Jersey shore Mess, has given them the Opportunity to trap a lot of folks?

timshufflin
08-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Orlando, the newspaper article does not look too good..Fighting the ruling will take some money and time? Do you feel that you can win your points? I believe all this other flooding and the Jersey shore Mess, has given them the Opportunity to trap a lot of folks?

I see a lot of reasons to trap a lot of folks! katrina, sandy, earthquakes in kaly, flooding on the Mississippi or elsewhere. Who are we kidding though? Every single time this happens I am commanded to write a check, out of my tax dollars, to fund this absolute crap. Blame all those who commanded that these others be given our dollars. Remember when the next disaster hits and I come out THAT DAY and say NO WAY should anyone else's money be used to fund the disaster. Remember when I'm told how heartless I am because "there is a time and a place to make that point" and I should wait till later "when everyone has healed" to say what I do. You don't get anywhere waiting till later guys, you get an extra large bill "waiting till later". Ask Stu the nonsense that went on in his own hometown, how the taxpayer was fleeced over and over again!

Rant off but I have absolutely not one scenario where I would volunteer another man's money to subsidize another man who Won't!

Orlando
08-18-2014, 06:09 PM
I agree with ya Tim but when you arelivin high and dry as I am its pure Bull

timshufflin
08-18-2014, 06:49 PM
We're all paying flood insurance, and earthquake insurance, every single time an "event" happens we all end up paying. Bill, you'll now be paying more and it does suck!