PDA

View Full Version : Need to ask about my wood

paid4c4
06-12-2011, 04:37 PM
It isn't what you think. I bought a can of WATCO Dark Danish Oil at Lowes with some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Do I dip the sandpaper in the oil and sand the stock until it's wet, allow it to dry and apply a second coat with a cloth and then hand rub? Please share you methods. I'm finishing a new Boyd stock set which I've stained with MinWax dark walnut (2) coats. When the second coat dries I'll be ready to apply the Watco instead of Fairtrimmers.
Bill

Dave
06-12-2011, 09:48 PM
I've always been a Fiebings guy, followed by 50/50 tung oil/turpentine and/or paste wax (Tom's mix).

jjones
06-12-2011, 10:11 PM
I use deft Danish oil. I sand the stock how I want it, then put on a coat of oil, let it set for 20 min. I wipe that off, and let it dry for a day. I do 4 - 5 coats. It turns out great. I will try and post a pic later.

paid4c4
06-12-2011, 11:08 PM
I use deft Danish oil. I sand the stock how I want it, then put on a coat of oil, let it set for 20 min. I wipe that off, and let it dry for a day. I do 4 - 5 coats. It turns out great. I will try and post a pic later.
I would appreciate the pictures.
Bill

Punch The Clown
06-12-2011, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't use the dark Watco's as it muddies up the grain. The natural would be my choice.

Bill, I've used Watco's and the only reason they didn't use it in WWII is probably price. You can wet sand the stock with the Watco's but you don't have that much working time. Like jj said 20 mins and then wipe off. I've used diluted Fiebings maroon with it after the first coat and it worked-gave it that nice red look. After 2 or 3 coats it's pretty much sealed. Minwax dark furniture wax applied with fine steel wool and it is smooth and satiny and it doesn't get all gooey in hot weather.