PDA

View Full Version : stock fitting

ZBeast
09-30-2014, 08:15 PM
I am trying to fit a stock to one of my ongoing builds and the trigger assembly is nowhere near close to locking up. Do I make it fit by removing wood from the trigger area or where the receiver sits? It is a used Terni modified stock for 7.62 use.

Orlando
10-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Stop, do not remove any wood yet. Just how far is the end of the trigger guard from latching?

ZBeast
10-01-2014, 09:34 PM
The latch is just over 1" from locking and stops dead with no give if I try to force it. I think it is too far off to hit with a mallet/block to seat it into place. I am going to try another stock off another rifle to see if it goes on that one first.

Orlando
10-02-2014, 05:57 AM
I have closed guards when they stop at the end of the trigger before. Before removing wood do you have another trigger guard you can use that has worn lugs?
Looking from the side of the rifle with the action installed there should be a very small amount of clearance starting approx 1 1/8 inch from where the back of the receiver sets up to the back of the receiver legs. Hold it up to the light will make it easier to see.

If your stock doesnt have this slight gap,wrap a piece of sandpaper around a block of wood and sand to proper clearance. Don’t need much. While this is a accuracy/fit mod it should also help some with lock up.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/Boyds%20Stock%20Rework/DSC00567.jpg

ZBeast
10-02-2014, 06:59 AM
I have a couple of worn trigger guards that I could swap out. The one installed in the trigger group is not as worn but far from perfect. The gap between the receiver and stock is almost non-existent.

Orlando
10-02-2014, 05:48 PM
I have a couple of worn trigger guards that I could swap out. The one installed in the trigger group is not as worn but far from perfect. The gap between the receiver and stock is almost non-existent.

The gap is suposed to be very slight, just able to see light .
If it were me I would use a gaurd with worn lugs and shut the guard. Then look to see if you have the gap. Once its locked it may dissapear. If you dont have any gap ,remove wood there
After using the guard with worn lugs for awhile the wood will compress and you should be able to switch to the other guard if you wish
Just my opinion

ZBeast
10-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Just goes to show that using the best parts available may not always be the best part for the job.

smc51
10-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Another good way to close and lock a trigger guard is to put the unclosed trigger guard on your carpeted floor and use your body weight to push the trigger guard into locked position. It's much easier than Wacking it with a mallet.

Steve

ZBeast
10-08-2014, 11:31 PM
As I am recuperating from a few health problems I decided to take a simple look at this and use what brain cells are still functioning. As this should fit it would leave me as the 'problem'. So I went out to the barn and found an old 10'' C clamp. Some cardboard to protect the finish and slowly cranked it shut. A quiet 'click' and all is good. I guess it will compress to itself over time now. Thanks for all the suggestions. Why I continue to over complicate simple problems is beyond reason.