PDA

View Full Version : Cool Link - Garand cycling in slow motion

melloman
10-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Another fellow posted this link over on another forum.

http://m.imgur.com/a/3kabN

canes7
10-03-2014, 10:57 PM
way cool. i find the op rod bounce interesting wish they would have let the video of the AR run a sec longer

melloman
10-04-2014, 01:20 PM
way cool. i find the op rod bounce interesting wish they would have let the video of the AR run a sec longer

Why? What would we see during the AR operation? I was surprised at the difference in cycling speed between the two rifles.

canes7
10-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Why? What would we see during the AR operation? I was surprised at the difference in cycling speed between the two rifles.

The mythical AR bolt bounce....

Pedro
10-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Thanks Melloman, saved to favorites.
Pedro.

gman366
11-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the videos. I had never seen it done this way before , & it is very enlightening!

musketjon
11-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Still trying to perpetuate the myth that the op rod kicks the spent brass on its forward flight. It just ain't so. If the op rod was designed to do that, it would hit each and EVERY case each and EVERY time. When will the myth be busted and put to rest??
Jon

Orlando
11-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Jon
If its a myth why does the last round always land about 3 -4 o'clock and the other rounds land forward of the shooter?

musketjon
11-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Bill,
Please don't tell me you believe the op rod hump was designed to kick the spent cases forward from the rifle?? The forward ejection is caused by bolt speed, extractor spring and ejector spring strength. Really watch the video closely. The case clearly is not being sent forward by the op rod hump. It's simple physics. The last round goes to 3:00 because the bolt movement has been arrested. If this were the case, then explain to me why on my 9-42 SA some of the cases are ejected to the 11:00 position. Also, there are lot of posts by guys asking why their rifles put the brass at about the 5:00 position instead of out front. If the brass is being placed at 5:00, it certainly isn't being hit by the op rod.
Jon

Orlando
11-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Jon
I'm not arguing, its something I never really thought about one way or the other as far as being a design . With brass marks on the op rod I would have thought it comes into play with ejection pattern along with bolt speed,extractor spring and ejector

centurion20000
12-01-2014, 03:49 AM
Interesting quote in that video ....

Here is a side by side comparison of the bolt of an AR and the M1 Garand.
The M1 bolt opens at a much more explosive rate than the AR.
The cyclic rate of the Garand is about 25% faster than the AR.

So basically this is telling me that with the right trigger (something like a Garand equivalent Geissele SD-3G) you could drop rounds faster than an AR? How utterly fascinating.

I mean could you imagine the reactions on the line / 3 gun ranges when you do this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvr0rSaFgZE#t=68

... with a Garand (or a Mini-G)?

Old Guard
12-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Interesting quote in that video ....

So basically this is telling me that with the right trigger (something like a Garand equivalent Geissele SD-3G) you could drop rounds faster than an AR? How utterly fascinating.

I mean could you imagine the reactions on the line / 3 gun ranges when you do this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvr0rSaFgZE#t=68

... with a Garand (or a Mini-G)?

Okay, why is this trigger legal..Was it not firing AUTO? My Ar certainly does not fire that way?

centurion20000
12-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Okay, why is this trigger legal..Was it not firing AUTO? My Ar certainly does not fire that way?

Look at his finger. He IS pulling the trigger for each shot.

Old Guard
12-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Look at his finger. He IS pulling the trigger for each shot.

Okay, you got me, so whats different? the pull or the sear? It kind of acts like the old bumpfire with the spring?

centurion20000
12-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Okay, you got me, so whats different? the pull or the sear? It kind of acts like the old bumpfire with the spring?]

Well, it's not a bump fire in any way shape or form. It IS a light (3#) trigger with a very short pull and an extremely short reset. A stock trigger has a long pull and reset by comparison.

That guy in particular has a semi auto cyclic rate of about 430 rounds/minute. And as far as I'm concerned, that's more than fast enough for anything I need. (I have one; I'm just not THAT fast with it)

Old Guard
12-02-2014, 01:18 PM
]

Well, it's not a bump fire in any way shape or form. It IS a light (3#) trigger with a very short pull and an extremely short reset. A stock trigger has a long pull and reset by comparison.

That guy in particular has a semi auto cyclic rate of about 430 rounds/minute. And as far as I'm concerned, that's more than fast enough for anything I need. (I have one; I'm just not THAT fast with it)

Oh, so you have purchased that trigger? Three Lbs??Pull, I only use the Ar platform once in a while, I paid a lot more for that ammo during the stock-up phase....As far as you know, then the standard trigger cannot perform the same feats in firing...I 'm just asking because i like to tinker around..

Old Guard
12-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Oh, so you have purchased that trigger? Three Lbs??Pull, I only use the Ar platform once in a while, I paid a lot more for that ammo during the stock-up phase.....I 'm just asking because i like to tinker around..

Okay, just finished reading up on the ar triggers..I guess I will try to buy a used rock river arms trigger set, and see what it is all about..Both my rifles are Mil spec as far as triggers count? I see that the Others are re-engineered, both for speed and lock-up.. I just would like to feel better about the one's I use, when i shoot..No wonder that rifle was firing so fast...Opinions on triggers run pretty high over on Cmp's "ask each other"? I have wondered why anyone would pay $300.00 for just the trigger assy, but it helps in competition, so it is fair gains..

centurion20000
12-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Oh, so you have purchased that trigger? Three Lbs??Pull, I only use the Ar platform once in a while, I paid a lot more for that ammo during the stock-up phase....As far as you know, then the standard trigger cannot perform the same feats in firing...I 'm just asking because i like to tinker around..

Yes I have a SD-3G trigger and it runs rounds through it like a goose on meth and laxatives. So yeah it's FAST. It's 3 pounds in the middle. Using the bottom of the trigger takes it down to about 2.5# (for long range precision) and the top is 3.5 (and a shorter travel). Why would someone pay $250 for a trigger? Because full auto is $10k and up; this gets you close ;)

I'd just love to see a Garand equivalent. And yes I love tinkering too.

timshufflin
12-02-2014, 04:06 PM
So darn cool!

Old Guard
12-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Yes I have a SD-3G trigger and it runs rounds through it like a goose on meth and laxatives. So yeah it's FAST. It's 3 pounds in the middle. Using the bottom of the trigger takes it down to about 2.5# (for long range precision) and the top is 3.5 (and a shorter travel). Why would someone pay $250 for a trigger? Because full auto is $10k and up; this gets you close ;)

I'd just love to see a Garand equivalent. And yes I love tinkering too.
The Cool Factor is surely there. He did not have any trouble striking the target in rapid fire..Thanks for the details..