PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with my wood again

paid4c4
06-14-2011, 02:34 PM
I've used the Watco dark Danish oil on my stock. I used 400 grit wet/dry sand paper until the stock was wet and well sanded. I then hand rubbed the remaining oil until the stock was pretty dry. That was Sunday, the stock is still sticky what should I do now? I would like to give it one more coat of hand rubbed oil but not on top of sticky? Suggestions please. Once dry I'm going to go over it with Tom's which should be here Thursday. Assistance with my wood is appreciated.
Bill:)

LEAD POISON
06-14-2011, 02:39 PM
I think If it's still sticky,it's not going to dry.I would wipe it down,get all the excess oil off.Than let it dry a day.

paid4c4
06-15-2011, 12:54 AM
Some time this evening the stickiness left the stock and it's now dry as is the front hand guard. The rear guard is still a bit sticky. I think I'll hand rub one more application of Danish Oil, by the time it dries my new supply of Tom's will be here to finish it off. Pictures will be in order.
Bill

Punch The Clown
06-15-2011, 05:08 AM
I have my friends 91/30 PU over here. He re-did it in Watco's. It looks great but it still feels a bit sticky. I think it might be the humidity as it's been raining here for days on and off.

Orlando
06-15-2011, 06:51 AM
After hand rubbing in the oil you should wipe/buff the stock completely with a towel. This will keep you from having a "sticky" stock

Dave
06-15-2011, 08:48 PM
After hand rubbing in the oil you should wipe/buff the stock completely with a towel. This will keep you from having a "sticky" stock

Agree. Many folks leave to much oil on thinking it will dry. Sometimes it will, often it will stay tacky for awhile and if it won't dry then you have to clean it with mineral spirits and hopefully not remove any stain you may have applied.
Best thing to do is let it sit for a bit and soak in some, then wipe it down with a towel and let it dry. You'll find the same issue with Toms mix if you leave it tacky. Rub it in to create a little heat, when your done with the whole stock wipe it off (like you do when you wax a car)and let it dry a few days, then repeat if desired.