PDA

View Full Version : Advice on relocating thinking south west or east please give some input

MajorD
12-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Currently live in New York ( need I say more!) and am considering my options to move to a more gun friendly state. Some of my criteria are:
1) gun friendly
2) low taxes
3) modest cost of living
4) mild weather - little to no snow or freezing weather
5) low crime rate
My wife and I are both medical professionals so job concerns are covered pretty well

timshufflin
12-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Does ambiance matter? You aren't going to get any of that on the east coast unless you move down to at least SC. In the south, you're covered but SW leaves only Texas, Arizona and NM. Of the three SW states, I like the higher elevations of Arizona. I don't like brown so I wouldn't consider Texas.

redheep
12-08-2014, 11:09 AM
NC has high taxes, as well as the highest gas tax of the SE states. The firearms laws are getting better, but county sheriffs still have authority over handgun permits and CCW licenses. The weather here on the eastern side sucks. More humidity and high temps in the summer and constant thunderstorms and rain during the winter, with the occasional snow storm that shuts everything down because of a lack of equipment.

I cannot wait to move home to Ohio, where there are real trees with leaves, 4 seasons and no sticky hot summers.

I'm also an offroad vehicle enthusiast, so if I was planning on moving and had the options you talked about, I'd be out west where the public lands are still open. The east coast is a crowded, over legislated mess.

seaninmich
12-08-2014, 11:24 AM
NC has high taxes, as well as the highest gas tax of the SE states.

I don't want to hear any complaining. They just raised ours to the highest in the country - 82 cents a gallon

cuppednlocked
12-08-2014, 12:43 PM
The firearms laws are getting better, but county sheriffs still have authority over handgun permits and CCW licenses.

Luckily NC is a "shall issue" state:

"The sheriff shall issue a permit within 90 days after receipt of a complete application to an applicant who:
• is a citizen of the U.S. and has been a resident of the State for at least 30 days immediately prior to filing the application;
• is at least 21;
• does not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun;
• has successfully completed an approved firearms safety and training course which involves the actual firing of handguns and instruction in the law governing the carrying of a concealed handgun and the use of deadly force;
• is not ineligible under federal or state law to possess, receive, or own a firearm;
• is not currently or has not been adjudicated or administratively determined to be lacking mental capacity or mentally ill;
• has not been discharged from the armed forces under conditions other than honorable;
• is or has not been adjudicated guilty or judgment continued or suspended sentence for a violent misdemeanor;
• has not had judgment continued for or free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal, or sentencing for a disqualifying criminal offense;
• has not been convicted of an impaired driving offense within three years prior to the date on which the application is submitted."

The Sheriff's office does the investigation but they hold zero power to deny a CCH permit if all above conditions are met. It is not a county CCH permit, but rather a State permit issued via the Sheriff's office. The pistol purchase permit IS a county issued item. A side note: if you have your CCH permit you are not required to undergo a NICS check for any firearm purchase while the permit is valid (5 years).

Both the CCH and the pistol purchase permit can be appealed to the Chief District Court Judge if the Sheriff denies the application.

The BIG thing that I hope you keep in mind regarding moving to a more "free" state... remember why you decided to leave and embrace the culture of your new surroundings. This is especially true if you move to NC!

LEAD POISON
12-08-2014, 12:59 PM
A long the Mississippi in Wisconsin Has all your requirements Except snow and temperatures in winter.Just plain beautiful.
Fantastic fishing & The states biggest deer come from that area.
Just a thought.
LP

centurion20000
12-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Currently live in New York ( need I say more!) and am considering my options to move to a more gun friendly state. Some of my criteria are:
1) gun friendly
2) low taxes
3) modest cost of living
4) mild weather - little to no snow or freezing weather
5) low crime rate
My wife and I are both medical professionals so job concerns are covered pretty well

Texas: Here's why
Gun friendly - Own what you want and shall issue CCW (should be Vermont style carry IMO)
No income tax
Definitely a modest CoL here. (When you look a real estate you'll go into reverse sticker shock)
Mild weather - but we do get a good summer.
Low crime - depending on what part of Texas. Also has some of the strongest protections for private property / using force.

redheep
12-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Luckily NC is a "shall issue" state:

"The sheriff shall issue a permit within 90 days after receipt of a complete application to an applicant who:
• is a citizen of the U.S. and has been a resident of the State for at least 30 days immediately prior to filing the application;
• is at least 21;
• does not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun;
• has successfully completed an approved firearms safety and training course which involves the actual firing of handguns and instruction in the law governing the carrying of a concealed handgun and the use of deadly force;
• is not ineligible under federal or state law to possess, receive, or own a firearm;
• is not currently or has not been adjudicated or administratively determined to be lacking mental capacity or mentally ill;
• has not been discharged from the armed forces under conditions other than honorable;
• is or has not been adjudicated guilty or judgment continued or suspended sentence for a violent misdemeanor;
• has not had judgment continued for or free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal, or sentencing for a disqualifying criminal offense;
• has not been convicted of an impaired driving offense within three years prior to the date on which the application is submitted."

The Sheriff's office does the investigation but they hold zero power to deny a CCH permit if all above conditions are met. It is not a county CCH permit, but rather a State permit issued via the Sheriff's office. The pistol purchase permit IS a county issued item. A side note: if you have your CCH permit you are not required to undergo a NICS check for any firearm purchase while the permit is valid (5 years).

Both the CCH and the pistol purchase permit can be appealed to the Chief District Court Judge if the Sheriff denies the application.

The BIG thing that I hope you keep in mind regarding moving to a more "free" state... remember why you decided to leave and embrace the culture of your new surroundings. This is especially true if you move to NC!

NC is a shall issue state, but the requirements are still up to the county sheriff's office. People who live in Onslow county jump through a million hoops to prove that the deserve a license that people one county over in Jones county do not. It's not a state certified process. They can't take away from the minimum, but they can add to the requirements. Where I'm from in Ohio, the application process is the same regardless of the county you live in.

MajorD
12-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Thanks thus far and keep the info coming!
Thus far I have posted here and on one other site where the opinions tend to be of shall we say a more respectable caliber than some forums.
The majority opinion seems to to steer clear of North Carolina. Even though they have the highest taxes of the locales I have researched the rate is still several percentage point below what I currently deal with.
A couple of the states ( SC,Fl ) have some cumbersome regs regarding my profession that make them go to the bottom of the list.
By far the opinions seem to favor greatly Arizona and Texas.
Any and all opinions are appreciated.
To help you guide me, hunting is not a priority for me, ccw/2a issues are. I do like to be on the water but could live without it ok.

MajorD
12-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Thanks thus far and keep the info coming!
Thus far I have posted here and on one other site where the opinions tend to be of shall we say a more respectable caliber than some forums.
The majority opinion seems to to steer clear of North Carolina. Even though they have the highest taxes of the locales I have researched the rate is still several percentage point below what I currently deal with.
A couple of the states ( SC,Fl ) have some cumbersome regs regarding my profession that make them go to the bottom of the list.
By far the opinions seem to favor greatly Arizona and Texas.
Any and all opinions are appreciated.
To help you guide me, hunting is not a priority for me, ccw/2a issues are. I do like to be on the water but could live without it ok.

Eli
12-09-2014, 01:10 AM
I'm a Realtor in Texas, if that's any help. I like it there (I'm actually inNY right now), I don't plan on living anywhere else!

Eli

timshufflin
12-09-2014, 08:11 AM
I'm trying to imagine a pretty spot in Texas, wait, there isn't one! I'm going back to Texas Jan 4 for a hunt, I'll be in SW Texas, in the mountains, down by the Rio Grande. I hope to find the first pretty spot that I've ever seen in the state during this visit but I'm not holding my breath.

jbkf1003
12-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Sean,

What are you paying per gallon of gas right now? I find it HARD to believe your paying more than us in NYistan.

Justin

jbkf1003
12-09-2014, 09:46 AM
I'm trying to imagine a pretty spot in Texas, wait, there isn't one! I'm going back to Texas Jan 4 for a hunt, I'll be in SW Texas, in the mountains, down by the Rio Grande. I hope to find the first pretty spot that I've ever seen in the state during this visit but I'm not holding my breath.

Eastern Texas?

cuppednlocked
12-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Josh,

What is different in Onslow? This is the document from Onslow Co SD regarding the requirements:

http://sheriff.onslowcountync.gov/docs/chpinfo.pdf

justa22
12-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Utah is a great place, my daughter and her family live in Salt Lake, the state has any type weather you want from palm trees and heat in the south to skiing in the mountains, they are very gun friendly, everybody I have met is a good person, we are not Mormons , just a great place.

timshufflin
12-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Eastern Texas?

Been there, blah. If I have to have HOT and some humidity then eastern Texas isn't gorgeous enough to make up for it. At least ET isn't terribly brown though.

Eli
12-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Tim, you must really like cold and fookin snow!

Eli

redheep
12-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Josh,

What is different in Onslow? This is the document from Onslow Co SD regarding the requirements:

http://sheriff.onslowcountync.gov/docs/chpinfo.pdf

The active duty military requirements is a 20 page package. See the make an appointment part? Good luck.

jbkf1003
12-09-2014, 06:43 PM
The problem with NC is all the transplants from the North East (Especially NY) that turned it to a purple (getting pretty close to outright blue) state...

canes7
12-09-2014, 06:53 PM
The problem with NC is all the transplants from the North East (Especially NY) that turned it to a purple (getting pretty close to outright blue) state...

True.. even pro-gun peeps that move here from NY, Mass. and other shitholes still try to make it "like home".

cuppednlocked
12-10-2014, 02:51 AM
True.. even pro-gun peeps that move here from NY, Mass. and other shitholes still try to make it "like home".

This X 1,000,000

CARY: Confinement Area for Relocated Yankees

Josh, I am intrigued. I'll look through the NCGS to see if this is addressed. If it is not, you should contact Grass Roots NC.

redheep
12-10-2014, 10:47 AM
This X 1,000,000

CARY: Confinement Area for Relocated Yankees

Josh, I am intrigued. I'll look through the NCGS to see if this is addressed. If it is not, you should contact Grass Roots NC.

He lost the election as a 20 year incumbent to a former military provost martial. We're all curious to see how that shakes out.

Roadkingtrax
12-12-2014, 04:35 AM
Arizona = everything Texas wishes it could be. :)

I moved to Arizona in 2003. My wife is a nurse, and Banner is the largest conglomerate medical force. We also have John C Lincoln, Mayo, MD Anderson and Catholic Healthcare West. Also...if you watch the news, large VA and IHS facilities.

oldtop
12-12-2014, 05:03 PM
North East Alabama has pretty much everything you're looking for, not to mention that the "Freedom Group" is moving the plant(s) for Remington, Bushmaster, LAR, Para Ordnance, DPMS and a few others to one central location in Huntsville....

centurion20000
12-15-2014, 12:16 PM
North East Alabama has pretty much everything you're looking for, not to mention that the "Freedom Group" is moving the plant(s) for Remington, Bushmaster, LAR, Para Ordnance, DPMS and a few others to one central location in Huntsville....

Except that it's got a state income tax. :(

MajorD
12-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Thanks again folks. I am doing research and some of the southern states ('bama, miss fl) have some cumbersome creds tailing requirements for my profession and have been stricken off the list. I have been getting input from others that if you have bad joints( my wife does) the Deep South humidity is rather unkind. We are focusing on Texas and Arizona for now. I welcome any additional info

Old Guard
12-16-2014, 05:07 PM
West Tenn...Southern Humidity does make the joints hurt, we have some very humid days..State tax on dividends..I would not recommend any where in Shelby, tn... county, property taxes....Someday hope to stop going there myself..I have 'old author' myself in both hands..