PDA

View Full Version : Whats your guys take on shooting reloads with split necks.

jbkf1003
12-09-2014, 11:08 AM
I got done loading some 308 ammo (125gr Hornady SST over H4895). I don't recall the charge weight off the top of my head, but it's not hot. About 25% of my loaded rounds (lake city once fired brass) has some small neck splits after loading. Would you guys shoot these? I don't really want to pull them and risk deforming the polymer tip during the process. They seem to hold neck tension.

I think this brass was MG fired, and didn't hold up to the resizing well.

Would you guys shoot them? I'd load them one at a time while sighting in my Mini-G and not risk recoil setting the bullets back.

You hear all kinds of horror stories of how a small split can pressure cut your chamber, ect, ect, I don't see how that would be the case shooting 10 of them. I don't see how there would be a safety issue either, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Justin

timshufflin
12-09-2014, 12:30 PM
I would not, my reloading person would never use them.

centurion20000
12-09-2014, 02:30 PM
10 rounds of ammo vs the price of your rifle .... no brainer ... ditch the rounds or use a collet puller and recover components

Prince Humperdink
12-10-2014, 09:51 PM
I never do.Once a case neck splits,it's off to the junk brass bin.

mxlmax
06-29-2015, 07:46 AM
Just curious, did you anneal the cases first? As they say, "Life is short but death is longer".

canes7
06-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Trash 'em.

jbkf1003
06-29-2015, 08:44 AM
No. I've never annealed any cases.

It was all once fired, but the brass I had I think was MG brass and usually they have a large chamber, I had it processed for me, to remove the primer crimp, have it resized, trimmed, and primed. A few still needed to be resized again in my sizing die, to be it back to spec. I think all that processing took a toll on it.

I have a box of 1000 of these, I'll just have to check the case neck multiple times, I usually check it when I select the brass, and at final inspection.

Justin

melloman
07-02-2015, 08:16 AM
No no no no no

Old Guard
07-02-2015, 09:23 AM
No. I've never annealed any cases.

It was all once fired, but the brass I had I think was MG brass and usually they have a large chamber, I had it processed for me, to remove the primer crimp, have it resized, trimmed, and primed. A few still needed to be resized again in my sizing die, to be it back to spec. I think all that processing took a toll on it.

I have a box of 1000 of these, I'll just have to check the case neck multiple times, I usually check it when I select the brass, and at final inspection.

Justin

Justin, the rifle case might burn your chamber or The neck..Then again it might work on your bolt or your hand...Saying that I have fired a few .38 specials to discover cracked necks..But they are not nearly as hot or powerful as rifle cases..Look at what a tiny primer holes does when it burns the bolt face??..I still have some Isreal 1980 match ammo,.308 nato that is supposed to be brittle cases, I have it marked for SHTF only..