PDA

View Full Version : Need Info on Bolt Heat Lots

RGBvr
01-03-2015, 11:30 AM
This is my first post here, I've been lurking for about a month.

As the title states, I'm looking for solid information on Bolt Heat Lots as they pertain to receiver born date. I've asked the question on a couple of other sites, CMP and Jouster specifically, and received essentially the same answer, if it was available it could be correct. I've also checked two websites which offer some information,Bolt Heat Lots @ M1 Garand Armory (http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id12.html) and Component List @ usriflecal30m1 (http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/PartsComponent.aspx) . Of these two websites, usriflecal30m1 has the most complete list, however there are some on various forums that openly denounce this site. I suspect they only consider info from Scott Duff to be gospel, yet usriflecal30m1 appears to be a compilation of information from the Duff, Poyer, and Cranfield books.

The reason I'm looking for specific Heat Lot info for the bolts, I'm correcting a Springfield M1 Garand with a July '44 born date. This rilfe has the wrong barrel, it's a 2 '43 barrel in the white, very good TE & ME numbers, shiny bore, etc, just the wrong date. It also has the wrong Bolt and Op Rod as delivered from the CMP in June of 2014. I have acquired a SA 4 - '44 barrel which is NOS / NIW short chambered, and in the original mfg wrapping. I have a number of bolts available to have headspaced to this barrel, two of which might be correct. I'm looking for the most correct bolt to use before I send the rifle to Tim to swap the barrel, and finish reaming for headspace. Below is a list of bolts by Heat Lot I have available, all are Springfield D28287-12 Drawing # with one exception which is a -19SA.

W9B August '42
A8W November '42
S-A1 January '44 - November '44 (I have two of these one is NOS the other has some wear)
S-B10 October '43

-19SA A-6 July '44 to Oct '45

I'm leaning towards the S-A1, but would consider the -19SA A-6 if I could come up with more information confirming it's date of use. BTW, I have way more invested in this rifle than I could recoup. It's a hobby and I found the challenge of sourcing a correct barrel an interesting endeavor.

Richard

Punch The Clown
01-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Richard, there really is no heat lot data from the factories. All the info on heat lots has been gathered from allegedly original rifles, so If someone has a 07-44 rifle with an SA19 with an A6 heat lot that appears to be original to the rifle it goes on the list and is considered proper. SA 12 and SA 19 are very common. If you already have 2 SA12 A1's use one. Can't go wrong.

RGBvr
01-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Richard, there really is no heat lot data from the factories. All the info on heat lots has been gathered from allegedly original rifles, so If someone has a 07-44 rifle with an SA19 with an A6 heat lot that appears to be original to the rifle it goes on the list and is considered proper. SA 12 and SA 19 are very common. If you already have 2 SA12 A1's use one. Can't go wrong.

Thanks for the feedback. I think you're right, using the SA-12 A1 bolt is probably the best option.