PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand bolt gage---Anyone have a pic, or drawing, or have one?

ordmm
01-17-2015, 12:36 PM
My google-foo may be lacking but even though I know they exist can't find a pic or reference for the gage that you can set a Garand bolt into and measure length from face to rear of lock lugs. Long time ago the one I looked at used a dial indicator. If anyone can help let me know.

Thanks,

Greg

Punch The Clown
01-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Greg, Tony Giacobbe has one. Rare indeed.

musketjon
01-18-2015, 11:45 PM
Set the rear of the locking lugs on a pair of 1-2-3 blocks and measure the distance from the top of the blocks to the bolt face with a dial indicator. That's what I did and it works out just fine.
Jon

RGBvr
01-19-2015, 07:19 AM
My google-foo may be lacking but even though I know they exist can't find a pic or reference for the gage that you can set a Garand bolt into and measure length from face to rear of lock lugs. Long time ago the one I looked at used a dial indicator. If anyone can help let me know.

Thanks,

Greg

There's a discussion on how to determine bolt length In This Thread (http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-33337.html) at the CMP forums. A reply by E-7Ret. explains the process. Lower in the thread there's a link to a photo which I've embedded here in this reply. "Jerryjeff" on the CMP forums provided the photo.

Richard

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/jerryjeff/rimroad-hra.jpg

In This Thread (http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-33337.html)

ordmm
01-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the info! RGBvr good pic Thanks! The question came up recently that when installing a new short chambered barrel it would probably make sense to use the "shortest" bolt on hand. That way if headspace increased over time it's possible a "longer" bolt would fix the issue. Right now the bolts are getting sorted by putting a stripped bolt in the receiver and measuring from the receiver face to bolt face. Slow going at best, but does work for classifying the bolts, although does not give a measurement that means anything other than for that bolt/receiver combination. Kinda/Sorta. Now of course this is probably over thinking/over planning a simple issue. But that's what the thinking was.....

Greg

Orlando
01-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Nothing written in stone but the following seems to hold fairly true
In order from the Shortest to the Longest :
WRA
-12SA
-65 series
But it will vary depepending on how much wear is on each individual bolt

RGBvr
01-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Nothing written in stone but the following seems to hold fairly true
In order from the Shortest to the Longest :
WRA
-12SA
-65 series
But it will vary depepending on how much wear is on each individual bolt

The variance in bolts of the same Drawing # / Heat Lot is a fact. I have a 2.9 mil Garand that was rebarrelled with a 2 '43 barrel, white chambered. The bolt it came with was SA -19, A8 Heat Lot, definately not correct for a 7 '44 receiver, but it is headspaced perfectly. I have two different SA -12, SA-1 Heat Lot bolts which are more correct for a 7 '44 build date. One is too loose the other head spaces fine. I haven't made the measurements outlined in the CMP thread, however it's obvious there can be variance dependning on how much material was taken off the bolt face during finish machining.

Richard

RGBvr
01-20-2015, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the info! RGBvr good pic Thanks!

Greg

Don't thank me, this info came from the guys who posted in the CMP thread. My Google-Fu was strong.

musketjon
02-19-2015, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the bolt pic. What are the +/- tolerances? Worthless without the tolerance spec.
Jon