PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire rifle recommendations for the wife...

jbkf1003
01-17-2015, 08:38 PM
I posted this on another forum.. What about a Mini-G in 308 with a BM59E brake. Do you think it'd be too heavy or too much recoil for your wife?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a rifle for the wifey.. She's not a rifle shooter yet. She shoots my handguns and open to learning. I have a 10/22 she can take out, but I'm looking to get her something she can take and go with me, and also something that she could back me up with if ever needed, (SHTF, Urban Unrest, ect). I'm thinking something semi-auto with a detachable mag, which of course means sporter stock and no muzzle attachments, adjustable stock, or other evil baby killing features. I know that limits the options a bit.

She's only 5'2". I'm thinking something in 223 but not married to it. I would like the option to put a scope on it if needed but that's not necessary at the beginning.

I know the easy answer is AR-15, but here in NY there is no good legal configurations. It's all fixed mags and silly stocks.

I was looking at a Mini-14 but I hear accuracy is not so hot, and the sights stink.

I'd like to stay at $750 max. Recommendations?

Thanks!
Justin

Punch The Clown
01-17-2015, 11:25 PM
You're pretty much limited to the Mini 14. No, it isn't that accurate but it's accurate enough. And it looks cool.

Eli
01-18-2015, 03:07 AM
I think I'm going to get my 5' tall soon to be wife an AR - and I'm relocating her the hell out of NY!

Eli

RGBvr
01-18-2015, 08:07 AM
You're price point is what is limiting your choices. If you already owned a field grade Garand, then the Mini-G becomes a possibility.

jbkf1003
01-18-2015, 09:05 AM
You're price point is what is limiting your choices. If you already owned a field grade Garand, then the Mini-G becomes a possibility.

That's what I'd like to spend, but I've been known to blow the budget on gun projects before. :)

I have enough parts to assemble a Garand. Mostly NOS. :)