PDA

View Full Version : M1 308 ejected cases.......

cat1870
02-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Hello...
My M1 308 ejects fired cases to 4 or 5 O'clock. Because I shoot left handed this is a problem. Ejected cases are pounding me on the head just above my right eye... Thank goodness for glasses.. It actually took a chip out of one of my lenses.
My question is how can I get the ejected cases to go to 1 or 2 o'clock?

UPDATE:
Today I cut 4 coils off the op rod spring....this made no difference.
I cut another 4 coils and got beaned between the eyes for my trouble. (Remember, I'm a lefty)
I then put a new op rod spring in and it was back to ejecting to 4:30 and 5 o'clock.

Can anyone out there in Garand world suggest something to help.? Getting beaned in the head isn't helping with my accuracy.

Thanks,

Gary

Roadkingtrax
02-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Its a pain staking and drawn out process of of clipping coils off your ejector spring. Start with about 3/32" and shoot it again. :) Really easy, and "Should" solve the problem.

musketjon
02-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Cutting coils will not direct them forward. Quite the opposite. Maybe a NEW ejector spring?
Jon

30calflash
02-07-2015, 02:05 PM
I've read where port pressure and bullet weight come into play on '06 case ejection. They start to go from 2 o'clock and go towards 4-5 o'clock when heavy bullet/loads are used. You didn't mention what ammo you're using, could this be part of the problem?

cat1870
02-07-2015, 02:19 PM
I've read where port pressure and bullet weight come into play on '06 case ejection. They start to go from 2 o'clock and go towards 4-5 o'clock when heavy bullet/loads are used. You didn't mention what ammo you're using, could this be part of the problem?

Bullets used are from 150 to 173 grain...

Shug
02-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Do you have a spare extractor you could try swapping? Also, maybe a stronger oprod spring might worth a try? The physics of ejection in a Garand is pretty complex and a lot factors play into where the case heads off to.

timshufflin
02-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Things I've done to change bullet ejection pattern, there's a few things;
1. Trimming the ejection spring, yah I've made cases go forward as well by trimming?
2. Changing oprod spring
3. Larger gas port
4. Assuring the oprod isn't rubbing the stock
5. Finally, rounding the top of the ejector to emulate a BM59 ejector

musketjon
02-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Hello...
My M1 308 ejects fired cases to 4 or 5 O'clock. Because I shoot left handed this is a problem. Ejected cases are pounding me on the head just above my right eye... Thank goodness for glasses.. It actually took a chip out of one of my lenses.
My question is how can I get the ejected cases to go to 1 or 2 o'clock?

UPDATE:
Today I cut 4 coils off the op rod spring....this made no difference.
I cut another 4 coils and got beaned between the eyes for my trouble. (Remember, I'm a lefty)
I then put a new op rod spring in and it was back to ejecting to 4:30 and 5 o'clock.

Can anyone out there in Garand world suggest something to help.? Getting beaned in the head isn't helping with my accuracy.

Thanks,

Gary

If you're cutting coils off the OP ROD SPRING, you're cutting the WRONG SPRING to start with.
Jon

cat1870
02-11-2015, 08:28 PM
Yes, so I've been told.
Cut 3 coils off the ejector spring today and will test it tomorrow...

cat1870
02-13-2015, 04:25 PM
I guess we've solved this problem. I cut 3 coils off to start from the ejector spring and it now ejects to 4 and 5 O'clock. Will cut 1 or 2 more off to see if I can get them to eject to 2 O'clock.
Now I need to figure out how to get the En Bloc from hitting me on the noggin.
I do believe this M1 has some kind of grudge against me.....

Thanks to all you have contributed to my problem.

Gary

timshufflin
02-13-2015, 04:30 PM
I guess we've solved this problem. I cut 3 coils off to start from the ejector spring and it now ejects to 4 and 5 O'clock. Will cut 1 or 2 more off to see if I can get them to eject to 2 O'clock.
Now I need to figure out how to get the En Bloc from hitting me on the noggin.
I do believe this M1 has some kind of grudge against me.....

Thanks to all you have contributed to my problem.

Gary

Replace the clip ejector spring

musketjon
02-15-2015, 12:28 AM
Replace the clip ejector spring

Listen to Tim.
Just for the record, I too, shoot from the "wrong" shoulder and I encounter none of the problems you describe. But my M1 rifles are also all in the PROPER caliber of .30-'06.
Jon