PDA

View Full Version : Illegal to live "off the grid"

seaninmich
04-18-2015, 04:35 PM
http://viralsurvival.com/2014/02/26/court-rules-living-off-the-grid-is-now-illegal/

A Florida magistrate ruled this past week that living off the grid is no longer an option in the land of the free.

Special Magistrate Harold S. Eskin ruled Thursday that Robin Speronis violated city codes by refusing to connect to the Cape Coral’s water system. Eskin ordered Speronis to pay for water service, adding that her sewer access would be capped until she did, The News-Press reported.

“I am in compliance,” Speronis told the News-Press. “I’m in compliance of living … you may have to hook-up, but you don’t have to use it. Well, what’s the point?”

The city contends that using rainwater and solar energy violates the International Property Maintenance Code, which is used in many US and Canadian communities. It “states that properties are unsafe to live in if they do not have electricity and running water.”

Not only does she have to now “hook-up” to the government run sources, but it was also ruled that she must get approval of what she is using for alternative energy.

“I know how to live off the grid completely and in a sanitary way,” Speronis said in response to the city’s action, according to The News-Press. “That’s what seven months living in the woods taught me. I do have an alternative toilet from my days of living in the woods.”

So what happened to the land of the free?

jak
04-18-2015, 06:32 PM
The Amish don't use "electricity from the grid" in their homes. I guess they violate the international property maintenance code too.
As for the sewer, some towns near me base the sewer rate on the amount of water used from the water company. This may be the case here.
No water usage....no way to calculate the sewer rate.
These people could just offer to pay a flat monthly sewer rate.

Most likely this home is not unsafe, the local government just want their $$$$$$$.

Old Guard
04-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Depends on the area you live in....Ever see a tent city...? They exist and some don't have the portapotty...Many Amish don't even have an electric meter....In Kentucky, they use Kerosene and sunshine for light...Battery power for their registers or adding machines in store..refrigerator is kerosene...

MrTwistedFock
04-25-2015, 04:08 PM
Who cares

I like my electricity, except when Im backpacking. Come to think of it, I even like my electricity now that Im backpacking, with my smart phone and G-shock watch I take into the trail. And my solar recharger for charging small batteries. And my high power LED headlamp, too.

Prince Humperdink
04-25-2015, 05:56 PM
Most people who live "off the grid"use electrical devices,they just power them with solar power...I care.