PDA

View Full Version : I like turkey.

cuppednlocked
04-19-2015, 09:06 AM
Turkey marinated in dill pickle juice, dipped in mustard, dredged in House Autry Medium Hot Breader, and fried golden brown!

https://vimeo.com/125339105. (How do I make the link hot?)

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc5/cuppednlocked/Mobile%20Uploads/45632735-AE19-447F-8B40-26F131AF216E_zpsbwxr7xod.jpg (http://s217.photobucket.com/user/cuppednlocked/media/Mobile%20Uploads/45632735-AE19-447F-8B40-26F131AF216E_zpsbwxr7xod.jpg.html)

1" & 7/8", 11", 17#

I hunted all day Friday and only had a courtesy gobble at 10am to show for it. I may need to resole my Muck boots.

3:40am came early Sat and I almost stayed in bed, but I am glad I didn't! I parked the truck and walked in to where I planned to start the day. I was in a small, burned section close to where I had the bird gobble the day before. As the woods brightened up the birds started to talk. Three gobblers were within 300 yards to my NE. One sounded like it was turned in my direction and might be headed my way.

As I was debating on moving toward the 3 gobblers a bird hammered behind me at <60yards. He only gobbled twice and shut up when one of the other birds gobbled in our direction. I think it was the subordinate gobbler from the day before. That sealed the deal and I picked up my stuff for the LONG hike to swing around the 3, but they had almost stopped gobbling.

I started walking and made my way around them and ended up in a longleaf pine savannah that was beautiful, just wide open with sparse ground cover. I picked a pine and gathered some deadfall branches to breakup my outline. I made some calls with my trumpet call and settled in for a nap. My buddies started texting me so I woke up and answered them and made another set of calls. About 10 minutes later I picked up movement to my right. I figured it was a hen and slowly shifted my eyes. The longbeard was standing there at 7 yards. It is amazing to me they can pinpoint sound that well. As the turkey was standing there I started to make a move. I knew I had to shift to the right, get to my knees as the bird ran, and make the shot. That is exactly what happened, except my plan did not include my sling getting caught in the dead branches. Add the extra time to free the gun and it added a little distance to the shot.

He was flopping at 9:17am.

Then I had to walk back out... with an extra 17# slung across my shoulder. Funny thing is I hardly noticed!

Old Guard
04-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Congrats, you met with success....Nothing makes my heart pound heavier than an answer call and they strut out with tail feathers spread out...usually out of range?

mxlmax
04-19-2015, 12:25 PM
The real thing is so much better than a, "ButterBall"! A chicken, turkey or hog that their feet have never touched the ground, never seen the sunshine and have never eaten a bug or an acorn is just NOT the same. Congrats and eat up!

Prince Humperdink
04-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Great job Matt!

Old Guard
04-20-2015, 10:00 AM
The real thing is so much better than a, "ButterBall"! A chicken, turkey or hog that their feet have never touched the ground, never seen the sunshine and have never eaten a bug or an acorn is just NOT the same. Congrats and eat up!

great wild birds are grilled with sauce over them..they definitely are different from the butterball or rivera brand..

LEAD POISON
04-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Nice job! Nice bird.
I wish I could say the same. I phoqed up 2 toms. To far out.3inch 6's didn't have enough punch.
I went to high velocity 3 inch 4's, Then no birds. Oh Well .I have 2 more tags for later this month and early next month.

cuppednlocked
04-20-2015, 10:57 PM
LP, if you have not tried the Winchester Longbeards you are missing out.

I am getting 230-240+ in a 10" circle at 40 yards with the 3.5" #6's. 4's didn't have the pattern density I wanted and 5's never patterned well.

Jimbo Slice
04-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Awesome writeup.

Piles and piles of turkey up here, been thinking of getting into it. Sure sounds like fun... in that "intense hunting mode" sort of way.