PDA

View Full Version : New Garand clips need oiling?

justa22
04-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Used new clips today, they were totally dry, had a few failures to feed properly, looked like maybe the rounds were not sliding up in the clip, got to thinking that I should lightly oil and wipe the inside of the clips before loading so the rounds could slide better, my old clips always function well. Fresh mini g , springs are good. Does anybody do this.

musketjon
04-28-2015, 03:32 PM
Maybe Scotch Brite or steel wool the Hell out of them until they're smooth but DO NOT OIL the clips. It will do no good. Sounds like a weak op rod spring to me if it's too weak to push up the follower. Is the follower free the whole length in its track? LIGHTLY grease the tracks the follower rides in.
Jon

justa22
04-28-2015, 03:46 PM
Everything well greased, inside of these clips seems to have surface that is parked, seems very sandpaper like. I will polish them up. thanks.

timshufflin
04-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Do your old clips work well in the Mini-G? What manufacturer made the new clips? Keep us posted.

Old Guard
04-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Maybe Scotch Brite or steel wool the Hell out of them until they're smooth but DO NOT OIL the clips. It will do no good. Sounds like a weak op rod spring to me if it's too weak to push up the follower. Is the follower free the whole length in its track? LIGHTLY grease the tracks the follower rides in.
Jon

I have to agree with this answer, My best clips are used, some of the Danish clips have a very strong and abrasive coating.{MBZ?}It took several cycles for them to work best....I use the older clips repeatedly for better action...I have new OP springs in most of my rifles now..

justa22
04-30-2015, 08:32 AM
Have been looking at the rounds that did not feed properly, first they are the new PPU Garand rounds that come on clips, I did not adjust my gas plug from using the HXP Greek ammo, looks like a short stroke, not getting back far enough to strip the round cleanly from the base, I think I will increase the gas a little and shoot some more, and see if that solves the failures to feed properly. May be the ammo.

jbkf1003
04-30-2015, 08:36 AM
I have found that PPU is not as hot as Surplus. I had a 308 Garand that I had to open the gas port up on, it functioned fine with XM80 but with PPU and my handloads it short stroked.

jhunt67
05-11-2015, 12:02 PM
I purchase only AEC or CMP (think they are AEC) clips. I take some steel wool and break down the park on the outside - don't really do anything on the inside. Then I liberally spray them with WD-40 and let them sit a day, finally wiping them down. I have never had a problem in the three garands and Mini-G I shoot. Does the WD-40 do anything? Probably not, but it shines them a bit and makes them look like the old ones that have been using. They go flying out of the rifle as they should. No feeding problems. I started this because I had a few problems when I just used them without the procedure.

MrTwistedFock
05-17-2015, 03:46 PM
I soak all my empty clips in CLP once. And let them drain dry outside on newspaper thoroughly. I dont put bullets in them if they are even a little bit wet. What the CLP does, is leave behind a teflon coating and anti-corrosion coating that protects the clips from rust. And also makes them a tad bit slicker. The main reason I do that is anti-rust, I live in a high humidity part of the country and stuff rusts fast.

If I lived in a low humidity area of the country like West Texas or the Southwest or California, I would not soak clips in anything. But if you do soak them, just soak them in CLP once and let them dry thoroughly.