PDA

View Full Version : Who repairs/rebuilds gas cylinders?

ZBeast
05-01-2015, 01:12 AM
After purchasing 'grab bag' parts and such over the last year I have come up with a few beaten up gas cylinders. Beaten literally. Who the heck hammers the crap out of these things I do not know but my query is, can they be saved? Threads chased, maybe have some sanded or ground to square off the rounded edges? Tidy up the front sight dovetail? I can't see throwing them away. I know Columbus Machine does great work on op rods but is there someone who works magic on the gas cylinders?

Punch The Clown
05-01-2015, 06:33 AM
I've neatened up a few with the Harbor Freight 1" belt sander. That tool is handy. Tony Giacobbe refinishes them like new although I'm using one that was finished with header paint and baked. 6 years and still perfect.

Old Guard
05-01-2015, 09:04 AM
I've neatened up a few with the Harbor Freight 1" belt sander. That tool is handy. Tony Giacobbe refinishes them like new although I'm using one that was finished with header paint and baked. 6 years and still perfect.

we must think alike, I am using Rustolum Flat Black grille paint..used for the barbq pits? Works fine...If its too rough it goes into the bead blaster for smoothing...first..

jbkf1003
05-01-2015, 01:55 PM
I have had Tony G. refinish several for me. They are top notch. Otherwise, I Like AlumnaHyde II for things like that, they have a light and dark parkerizing color, but I'm sure engine paint work's just fine too.

I would just make sure the bore is in spec, if so just clean it up as best you can with a dremel, or sander, and put it on a shooter.

Justin

Orlando
05-01-2015, 07:33 PM
BBQ paint never held up for me.

ZBeast
05-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Have ordered the correct tap for cleaning up some fubared threads. My neighbour has a sanding gizmo that I will use to take off the hammered edges and then I will give them a good media blasting. Then to decide on what finish (s) to use.

Prince Humperdink
05-02-2015, 12:37 PM

Me either.

mxlmax
05-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Have ordered the correct tap for cleaning up some fubared threads. My neighbour has a sanding gizmo that I will use to take off the hammered edges and then I will give them a good media blasting. Then to decide on what finish (s) to use.
FWIW, I just Googled for the correct Garand gass cylinder tap and found this......http://www.nicolausassociates.com/PDF/ChasingThreads.pdf

and this.....

Contributing Member

Ramboueille's Avatar Join Date
Aug 2008
Last On
@
Local Date
05-02-2015
Local Time
01:59 PM
Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
A question for the machinists on thread compatibility. I have a 9/16-32NS tap which I use to clean up the threads on gas cyls. The Kuhnhausen Shop Manual indicates that gas cyl threads are 9/16-32 NS3B mod, major dia .5625; minor dia .532+.003. Thread sizes on the lock screws are shown to be 9/16-32 NS, major dia .5625 min; minor dia .5287+ .0034.

As I read it I should be OK to use my 9/16 -32NS tap to clean up the threads on several lock screws which either won't fit or which bind part way thru installation. Can someone confirm this pls.
Yes. The gas cylinder thread minor diameter is slightly larger that the lock screw minor diameter. Otherwise if they both were the same, it would be a metal-to-metal fit on the minor diameter. I use a 9/16-32 NS HS3 tap which is .0025 oversize overall. You won't know the difference cleaning buggered and dirty threads.

Punch The Clown
05-02-2015, 03:28 PM
It'll work. Thread standards changed ever so slightly about 60 years ago.

Orlando
05-02-2015, 06:26 PM
I bought a tap on E-Bay to save a few buggered up cylinders. Worked fine

FluffyTheCat
05-03-2015, 09:50 PM
Do not use paint to refinish your gas cylinders. Do it the best possible way and sent it out for nitron treating.

Once your gas cylinder is nitron treated, the gas cylinder will match the Parkerized barrel exactly. In 2015, paint is a half assed way to go.

http://www.arma-coat.ca/webpages/Services_10.cfm

Old Guard
05-04-2015, 08:47 AM

Could be the prep and degreaser, and then it might just be, I have only done a few and for a few years..time will tell, but the safe keeps them pretty anyway..

Old Guard
05-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Do not use paint to refinish your gas cylinders. Do it the best possible way and sent it out for nitron treating.

Once your gas cylinder is nitron treated, the gas cylinder will match the Parkerized barrel exactly. In 2015, paint is a half assed way to go.

http://www.arma-coat.ca/webpages/Services_10.cfm

A matter of opinion about paint, I was redoing a WW2 cylinder which was originally painted with a cheaper black paint..So,,,,,,Why would I want the gas cylinder to look like parkerized??? Just asking, they were originally black...Judging by use and holding them by the cylinders, at parade rest....Plus being taught to raise them from the ground by the cylinder....hardly anything would stay on them, Being stainless..

mxlmax
05-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Not to split hairs but which Tap to buy.....a "Taper", "Plug" or a "Bottoming". www.msdiscount.com has all three.

Hal O'Peridol
05-04-2015, 09:45 PM
Go with the taper thread tap. Plug and bottoming taps are for blind holes, like scope mount holes.