PDA

View Full Version : H town underwater

mikebaker1129
05-27-2015, 10:16 PM
Most of you know I live in H town and with the recent floods the Baker family ,all of our guns and ammo are all high and dry .
Glad to report that we are safe and sound !

Brinks352
05-27-2015, 11:18 PM
That is great to hear.

cuppednlocked
05-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Good news!

Eli
05-28-2015, 11:25 AM
I'm out here in Fondren SW Africa - high and dry here, but several higher-end neighborhoods got soaked!

Eli

mikebaker1129
05-28-2015, 06:24 PM
Just in case ,I have my "don't loot" shirt on and my Vepr12 loaded on standby in case any riots break out on the streets of Huffman.

Punch The Clown
05-28-2015, 07:57 PM
I was thinking about our Texas bros. Glad you guys are OK.

Eli
05-28-2015, 10:22 PM
This ought to give y'all some idea of what we're dealing with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ged3auQBel0
I generally pass by here daily, this is my part of town - the HEB grocery store carries kosher food, as does the Belden's grocery store on the other side of Braes Bayou.

Eli

timshufflin
05-29-2015, 05:36 AM
Nary a person in TX left "unwashed".

Old Guard
05-29-2015, 09:01 AM
This ought to give y'all some idea of what we're dealing with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ged3auQBel0
I generally pass by here daily, this is my part of town - the HEB grocery store carries kosher food, as does the Belden's grocery store on the other side of Braes Bayou.

Eli

Yikes, that is a lot of water..Plus you have more on the way.....

Eli
05-29-2015, 10:27 AM
Yikes, that is a lot of water..Plus you have more on the way.....

What you can't discern in the video is the large bayou (river) that is completely out of it's banks. Here's a picture:
I'm not sure you can tell proportions, but it's pretty large. The pavement is a hike-and-bike trail, probably 6-8' wide.

Eli

RGBvr
05-30-2015, 07:47 AM
I'm always high and dry here in Klein (Spring Cypress / Champions). I have a large swale, some might call it a drainage ditch in the greenbelt behind the house. It's never flooded, even during hurricanes or TS Allison, but my street has been impassible on a couple of rare occasions. Seems every time Houston has heavy storms like we had last week, the Meyerland area goes under water.

BTW...Are there any decent Deli's left in Meyerland? I used to eat lunch at Alfred's on Stella Link quite often.

What you can't discern in the video is the large bayou (river) that is completely out of it's banks. Here's a picture:
I'm not sure you can tell proportions, but it's pretty large. The pavement is a hike-and-bike trail, probably 6-8' wide.

Eli

Orlando
05-31-2015, 06:49 AM
Stay safe my friend

Eli
05-31-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm always high and dry here in Klein (Spring Cypress / Champions). I have a large swale, some might call it a drainage ditch in the greenbelt behind the house. It's never flooded, even during hurricanes or TS Allison, but my street has been impassible on a couple of rare occasions. Seems every time Houston has heavy storms like we had last week, the Meyerland area goes under water.

BTW...Are there any decent Deli's left in Meyerland? I used to eat lunch at Alfred's on Stella Link quite often.

I keep strictly kosher, so I don't know of anything really. Some guys go to Randall's in Meyer Park, but the customer service there is beyond horrible.
I lived in Spring (off Aldine-Westfield about midway between 1960 and Cypresswood) during Allison (streets flooded) and that big storm back in the 1990s that killed several people. Cypress Creek (and Spring Creek, then in the wilderness) overflowed their banks badly.

Stay safe my friend

I'm from here, I have sense enough to get to high ground early on and stay the hell out of flood water!

Eli

Old Guard
06-01-2015, 09:33 AM

Eli

Okay, was able to line that up, by the trees, Yes, it overran by quite a bit.. So there was no blockage downstream on this bayou?I know they Just built a few new Serviceking auto shops down in Houston area, Hope they had some Hi ground..

Eli
06-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Okay, was able to line that up, by the trees, Yes, it overran by quite a bit.. So there was no blockage downstream on this bayou?I know they Just built a few new Serviceking auto shops down in Houston area, Hope they had some Hi ground..

The problem isn't downstream, it's upstream! Where there used to be grass and forest, which absorbed rain, now there's roofs and roads that create massive amounts of runoff. Harris County (Houston) Flood Control is the best in the world (they train other operators), but there's only so much that can be done without spending shit tons of money. Everything that flooded was in a known, existing flood plain, and many of the areas had historically been 'affordable' due to the propensity to flood - it just hadn't happened in a while, and people forgot about it.

Eli

Old Guard
06-01-2015, 03:00 PM
The problem isn't downstream, it's upstream! Where there used to be grass and forest, which absorbed rain, now there's roofs and roads that create massive amounts of runoff. Harris County (Houston) Flood Control is the best in the world (they train other operators), but there's only so much that can be done without spending shit tons of money. Everything that flooded was in a known, existing flood plain, and many of the areas had historically been 'affordable' due to the propensity to flood - it just hadn't happened in a while, and people forgot about it.

Eli

okay, not only do the memphians have flood gates down on the river, which close at a level of 32 feet..for the mighty Mississippi river...They have the large flood plains outside of town, that were too low to be occupied..If Army Corp of engineers, had not stepped in then, they would have started filling them in years ago..Large parts of the city are built on filled ground and ex-garbage dumps anyway....Plus huge pumping stations like they have down in N.O. La. to pump over the river dikes.....I live out North of the city on some of the highest land around..it willl be at least 40ft over Mem. before i need to worry about floods..Earthquakes[new madrid fault] and tornados are a threat though, but so far we have been very lucky on them...Could be worst, if we were sitting on a dorment volcano..At least it stopped raining for a spell..