PDA

View Full Version : Trying to fit a stock ferrule

melloman
06-03-2015, 07:07 PM
I have an HRA stock on which I am trying to install a ferrule. I took a ferrule from another USGI replacement stock and it does not fit. I have backed out the screw and spread out the ferrule but it is too tight to fit onto the nose of the HRA stock. Do stock ferrules vary slightly in size? Should I try another one? I do not wish to tamper with the nose of the stock.

jak
06-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Sometimes I have that problem if I don't let the stock completely dry out after cleaning it
with purple power and water. The wood swells a little bit. Have you cleaned your HRA stock like that ?
Another possibility may be high humidity swelling the wood. I wouldn't remove any wood either.
Try some other ferules first.

Orlando
06-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Ferrule fit can vary slightly as it depends on how the screw was staked

Have you tired to tap it on with a block of wood and a hammer?

melloman
06-03-2015, 08:23 PM
I backed the screw right out. I hope that I did not wreck the ferrule. I could drive it on with a block and hammer but I will end up shearing some of the tenon off because it is too thick for the ferrule.

The stock does not appear to be swollen. It has had a ferrule on it before.

LEAD POISON
06-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Korean Stock? Did you get this from Orlando? :D Jus kinding.
Like he said drive it on.

paladin601
06-04-2015, 12:50 AM
apply paste wax to the inside of the ferrule, then, as mentioned above, use a block of wood and a light hammer to tap the ferrule on the rifle.

timshufflin
06-05-2015, 03:28 AM
As several have said, I know it sounds savage, tap it on with a hammer. Put a wood block on the ferule to protect the ferule. Some minor amount of wood may shave off but it's painless.

melloman
06-05-2015, 07:51 PM
I used a repro ferrule. It fit with minimal tapping from a block and hammer. Thanks for the advise everyone!