PDA

View Full Version : Are there NOS Garand Receivers out there?

jbkf1003
06-12-2015, 06:44 AM
I'm skeptical:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=488621811

LEAD POISON
06-12-2015, 11:15 AM
I think if there were new unissued receivers out there they would be the last of production, NOT WWII,
Why would they continue to produce after this one, When they were really needed. Did this go home in somebody's lunch box?
I doubt it.

Old Guard
06-12-2015, 11:26 AM
What, thats an old puppy, Like LP said, came home in Lunch box, until estate sale??

jbkf1003
06-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Yep. That's my thinking. If it were new, maybe one that failed quality control, and someone repackaged?

jak
06-12-2015, 03:09 PM
I stopped by Shakey's Gun shop to look at the receiver. It was all sticky from being wrapped in the wax paper.
It looked like a grade A receiver. I didn't see any pitting, scratches, or worn spots.
The s/n and stampings were clear. The finish was smooth. The color of the receiver was a nice
black. I'm far from an expert so I'm not sure if that would be the correct color of an original receiver during
that time frame or even if this is a NOS receiver.

jbkf1003
06-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Jak,

Cool. Is Shakey's a place you frequent? If so you would assume there is no shenanigans going on and they believe it is what they say?

Thanks
Justin

jak
06-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Jak,

Cool. Is Shakey's a place you frequent? If so you would assume there is no shenanigans going on and they believe it is what they say?

Thanks
Justin

That was the first time I was in his store. I've only heard good things about him. His gunbroker record is good too.
I just don't like his "no return" policy especially on an item like this receiver.

jbkf1003
06-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Yeah that was the thing that was concerning...

It's not a horrible price if infact it were a NOS USGI Garand Receiver. My concern would be it was a reject or repark or something. A potential buyer could always as for a 3 day inspection period, despite what it says in the auction.

Thanks,
Justin

musketjon
06-12-2015, 09:02 PM
As far as the color of the park'ing, it runs the gamut from grey to black. It would be dependent on the parking solution (new/old/slightly used to ready for the sewer) and the make up of the parent material. The green color we're so used to seeing is from 70 years of contact with oil, grease, dirt, sweat and what ever else nasty things it came in contact with. The coloring and patina can not be reproduced or "hurried up" no matter what any one says. I've been to the armory and there are some literally brand new M1's on display and the parking is pretty much black, or not far from it.
Jon

WSAR15
06-13-2015, 01:38 PM
In 2004 or so CMP sold refinished Garand receivers.
I bought three of the better grade and they were as new as I have ever seen with no pitting or visible wear.
I've seen floating around from time to time on site selling parts or in auctions.