PDA

View Full Version : Building a Garand - Is this worth it?

WSAR15
06-13-2015, 01:49 PM
I have a 1941 and 1944 Garand receivers in "new" CMP refinished shape. The are pristine and not pitted.
With the exception of the stock and barrel, I am trying to buy all the matching parts for the year and month of the receiver manufacture.
Its not that easy, but I am progressing slowly.
I assume at the end it will be much more expensive than buying readily available parts, including new parts.
Do you think it is worth matching all the parts?
Will this add much more value to the guns?
Any recommended parts sources?
Thanks

Punch The Clown
06-13-2015, 03:26 PM
The 1941 rifle will be more costly than the 1944 to assemble with correct parts. I have a few "Corrected" rifles myself. They do have a premium over a total mixmaster but not that much. It is fun though chasing down the correct parts.

Orlando
06-14-2015, 07:00 AM
The 1941 will be a money pit , the barrel, stock and rear sights alone will drain your pockets. Rear sight will run you $550-$650 depepnding on condition and if you can find one.
You said you arent going to restore the barrels or stocks? If doing a restoration you may as well go all in. Kinda like restoring a muscle car but only doing half
As Punch said the 1944 will be the cheaper build.Even this rifle will not be worth as a completeted rifle to what you will have in it. You also have commercially refinished receivers which also hurts the value. You are better off selling them and keep a eye out for a original finish barreled receiver combo or a complete rifle with the original barrel and receiver and restore those.

Not trying to dissapoint you just trying to let you know what ypou are getting into.
Good luck on your decsision

seaninmich
06-14-2015, 09:11 AM
No matter what you do, the completed rifle will only be worth a fraction of the cost of the parts to build it. That's just a fact.

The correct barrel and stock are really the only two things that actually DO add any value to the rifle. Without those, you will put a couple thousand dollars into each (more on the '41) and they will have a street retail price of about $1000-1200 each when you are done. The only way you will get your money back will be to part them back out again.

canes7
06-14-2015, 09:48 AM
We've all "corrected" an M1 or so in the pst. Each of our experiences mirrors what Sean said, just not worth it. The only way to come even remotely close to breaking even is to find a rifle thats mostly correct to begin with. If you enjoy having an all correct rifle then it my work out for you but thats all you.

WSAR15
06-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you gentleman!
This relieves me and enables me to buy better newer parts. Also looks like a Mini G will be part of thr scheme!

RGBvr
06-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Even parts for the '44 can get expensive. Last year I acquired a NOS / NIW April '44 barrel, still in the arsenal wrap. I paid a lot of $$$s to get it.

jak
06-14-2015, 05:38 PM
WSAR15... All of the advice given so far is excellent. However, if you still have the urge to build an all correct rifle,
I would recommend building a postwar SA or HRA. Those parts would be easier to find.