PDA

View Full Version : Mini G troubleshoot

Bhamm
07-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Tim,

I'm hoping you can provide an answer for an issue with my Mini-G. I recently converted a standard Mini to the BM59 gas cylinder. I was sighting in today at the range and had a double-tap and a triple-tap. It really got the attention of the Range guys. What is typically the cause for multiple rounds firing at one time?

Also, while shooting roughly 80 rounds (Greek surplus), the trigger guard would come unlatched allowing the trigger group to drop down at times. Maybe came unlatched 5 times. It is the machined trigger guard, but it did not do this prior to the BM59 gas cylinder conversion. Can I simply bend it out so there is more tension on the latch?

Thanks,

BHamm

timshufflin
07-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Sir, when I put together a rifle I test fire it. It's very hard for me to say what's going on with the changes you may have made but I'll give it a shot.

On the double and triple tap;
Did I do a trigger job, I'd have to check my records but you'd know quicker.
Was the stock changed?
Were any parts in the trigger group switched around?

On the trigger guard coming loose, you can put the trigger guard, while it's still assembled, in a vise and give it a squeeze to close it more. I have found this fix to be very long lasting. Don't get crazy with the squeeze, you don't want to fold it in half. Just squeeze it enough so that when you go to close it that the guard just touches the back of the trigger.

Of course you are ALWAYS welcome to call me and or send the rifle in if need be. I can probably fix it pretty cheaply. If a trigger job was done they will last about 500 to 1000 rounds.

Bhamm
07-07-2015, 11:23 PM
Tim,

Yes, you did a trigger job.

The stock is the same except I refinished it recently. I did VERY light sanding on any load bearing surfaces. I did not want to create gaps or alter metal to wood interacting.

No parts have been swapped out in the trigger group.

I will address the trigger guard as you have suggested. Seems simple enough.

I have fired nearly 500 rounds through this rifle. If you can examine the trigger group and refine it, I will send it your way.

If I can avoid sending the whole rifle at this time, I will do my best on this end to fix this problem.

As always than you,

Bryan

timshufflin
07-08-2015, 08:16 AM
Well send that trigger group on over.

jbkf1003
07-08-2015, 11:26 AM
If a trigger job was done they will last about 500 to 1000 rounds.

What happens after 500 to 1000 rounds? Does it just get a bit rougher?

Justin

timshufflin
07-08-2015, 11:38 AM
What happens after 500 to 1000 rounds? Does it just get a bit rougher?

Justin

No Sir, you will start to have the possibility of doubling. The trigger pull will get less and less leading up to you not being able to control the 2nd stage.

Bhamm
07-08-2015, 12:02 PM
Tim,

I'll get it out this week.

Thanks,

Bryan

jbkf1003
07-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks I was concerned that was the deal. Do Mag-Fed G's get a trigger job when you build them? My Trigger feels great so I am guessing they do?

Thanks
Justin

timshufflin
07-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks I was concerned that was the deal. Do Mag-Fed G's get a trigger job when you build them? My Trigger feels great so I am guessing they do?

Thanks
Justin

They do not, only if the customer orders it.

jak
07-08-2015, 02:40 PM
No Sir, you will start to have the possibility of doubling. The trigger pull will get less and less leading up to you not being able to control the 2nd stage.

If my garands starts doubling (yes, you did a trigger job on 2 of them), I guess the first step would be to replace the hammer. Correct ?

timshufflin
07-08-2015, 02:56 PM
If my garands starts doubling (yes, you did a trigger job on 2 of them), I guess the first step would be to replace the hammer. Correct ?

Yes you can do that but the easiest fix is to add weight back on by emery clothing the back of the trigger. It's very easy to do, do it all the time for people. People have trigger jobs that were done years ago and they'll send them to me to have weight added back on.

jak
07-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Yes you can do that but the easiest fix is to add weight back on by emery clothing the back of the trigger. It's very easy to do, do it all the time for people. People have trigger jobs that were done years ago and they'll send them to me to have weight added back on.

Thanks !!!

timshufflin
07-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Thanks !!!

No sweat, I'm constantly doing trigger jobs for people who've had them done by myself or other people who do trigger jobs. Many of these trigger jobs were done by Smith's who have since passed on. It's all the same, just add a little weight, no matter who did it.

musketjon
07-08-2015, 11:58 PM
Double-taps are not unheard of when shooting from the bench. It all depends on how one holds the rifle. Also, if you're not pulling completely through with the trigger pull and letting off as soon as the rifle fires, that can also contribute to doubling. Pull all the way through each and every time. The hammer hooks could be worn, or the sear itself could be worn, or a combination of the two. The only way to tell is to selectively replace parts until the problem is eliminated.
Jon

Bhamm
07-09-2015, 12:52 AM
Thanks MJ, but over all my years of firing Garands off the bench I've never had a double and triple tap. I'm leaning more towards the trigger job needs refreshing on this one.

Bryan

Bhamm
07-16-2015, 08:59 PM
Tim, I received my trigger group back today. Thank you for checking it out for me, and the fast return. We did have a discussion on the phone about the "hammer drop test." Maybe you could outline, again ,the steps for this procedure. Seems some folks had too much other stuff going on during our phone conversation and may have not remembered all the steps. And also, if any other members want to learn.

timshufflin
07-16-2015, 09:13 PM
Tim, I received my trigger group back today. Thank you for checking it out for me, and the fast return. We did have a discussion on the phone about the "hammer drop test." Maybe you could outline, again ,the steps for this procedure. Seems some folks had too much other stuff going on during our phone conversation and may have not remembered all the steps. And also, if any other members want to learn.
Yes Sir,

Install trigger group
Assure rifle unloaded
Cock hammer
depress the trigger and keep it depressed
pull back on the oprod thus cocking the hammer and then let the bolt close
release the trigger
depress the trigger
The hammer should fall

If the hammer does not fall, you either have a stock issue, lug issue on the trigger guard, slightly worn top of hammer, slightly worn bottom of bolt.

Bhamm
07-16-2015, 10:36 PM
Thank you sir. I plan on getting on this tomorrow.

parkitthere
02-15-2016, 02:43 AM

I'm very curious about this, as well. 500-1000 rounds is like 2 or 3 weekends. To restore an M1 to stock, should we replace the hammer or the trigger?

And how many rounds can we expect a stock M1 to fire before it starts doubling?

timshufflin
02-15-2016, 09:18 AM
I'm very curious about this, as well. 500-1000 rounds is like 2 or 3 weekends. To restore an M1 to stock, should we replace the hammer or the trigger?

And how many rounds can we expect a stock M1 to fire before it starts doubling?

Guy's I'm using data from a few guys who have done them. Are they wrong? I don't know. Have I had to "redo" trigger jobs from days gone by, yes. You will find Gus Fisher and Roland Beaver say these trigger jobs have a finite life span (they must but I don't know for sure what that upper number is) of 1000 rounds tops. To restore a trigger to stock you would add a new hammer OR every the trigger sear. A stock M1, who knows how many times before it would double as you would have never broken the case hardness of the hammer hooks. This may be much to do about nothing, I can tell you that my trigger group has still not lost its set since I've done it 7 years ago.

Like many things in life, it depends. Was the hammer spring so firm that that more hook was removed to compensate? In that case you would think you'd have the 1000 round scenario. If a weak hammer and hardly any hammer hook removed then you would believe that trigger could go on for almost ever.