PDA

View Full Version : Glass bedding a garand

garandtom
07-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Hey Tim do you or do you know anybody that will glass bed my garand?

timshufflin
07-11-2015, 04:21 PM
I do not Sir. Not something I've chosen to get into as it's not legal for CMP Garand matches. I do not know of anyone that does it that I would trust to do it perfectly for you, I'm sorry I don't have anything better for you.

musketjon
07-11-2015, 04:29 PM
I did mine 30 years ago using the NRA reprint. It came out perfectly on the first try and is still going strong. You CAN do it if you're at least a little familiar with a Dremel tool and how to properly use it and can follow the routing-out instructions. Also, follow the bedding instructions to a "T" and you'll be good to go. I'd be happy to do it for you but I'm not a licensed FFL holder and one needs the receiver and stock set to do the job, so sending it to me is out of the question. If you're ever out near L.A. and still need it done, look me up. This won't be only my second rodeo--I've done a few for friends as well.
Jon
Oh yah, one needs extreme patience to do it as well.
Tim, you should offer the service. Just be sure the receipient knows that it will take him out of the "as issued" class and be put into the "unlimited" class.

timshufflin
07-11-2015, 04:34 PM
I did mine 30 years ago using the NRA reprint. It came out perfectly on the first try and is still going strong. You CAN do it if you're at least a little familiar with a Dremel tool and how to properly use it and can follow the routing-out instructions. Also, follow the bedding instructions to a "T" and you'll be good to go. I'd be happy to do it for you but I'm not a licensed FFL holder and one needs the receiver and stock set to do the job, so sending it to me is out of the question. If you're ever out near L.A. and still need it done, look me up. This won't be only my second rodeo--I've done a few for friends as well.
Jon
Oh yah, one needs extreme patience to do it as well.

The major requirement as quoted by the Jon!
"Oh yah, one needs extreme patience to do it as well"

canes7
07-11-2015, 05:51 PM
I've done a few. It's not too hard. Good advice from Jon. Be patient. I read Kuhnhaussen's book and used mostlt his ideas.

Practice on junk stocks first.

jbkf1003
07-11-2015, 07:18 PM
"Oh yah, one needs extreme patience to do it as well"

Doh! That rules me out...

Punch The Clown
07-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Is the reward worth the effort?

musketjon
07-12-2015, 03:06 PM
Is the reward worth the effort?

In MY case, YES, but every case is different. As they say, "YMMV".
Jon

Old Guard
07-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Doh! That rules me out...

Ha, Sometimes the Extreme patience just heads out the window....Depends???