PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever thought of this M1 part as a spring?

MrTwistedFock
07-14-2015, 01:50 AM
I feel like Ive mastered the M1 Garand rear sights pretty good. Where they are mechanically repeatable and tight and hold elevation and such. But one thing, its the most underrated part of the entire M1 Garand IMO. Its the rear sight cover.

The rear sight cover is a spring.

I even saw an online gun shop that sells M1 Garand parts recently. The outfit sells a "spring kit." OK, normally you think of like an Orion 7 spring kit. But this "spring kit" also includes by default, a rear sight cover. Because its a spring, and it is critical to maintaining proper tension on the rear sight elevation base and aperture.

timshufflin
07-14-2015, 08:16 AM
Yep, it's a spring and one that is easily repaired. A whack here and a whack there and you can make this spring work again, it just won't be as pretty.

jak
07-14-2015, 09:12 AM
There are coil springs, flat compression springs, automotive leaf springs, clip springs, flat wire springs, etc, etc, etc
Just because it doesn't look like a "Slinky" doesn't mean it's not a spring.

Old Guard
07-14-2015, 11:25 AM
There are coil springs, flat compression springs, automotive leaf springs, clip springs, flat wire springs, etc, etc, etc
Just because it doesn't look like a "Slinky" doesn't mean it's not a spring.

watching the boob tube the other night and a guy was using a coil spring from a car..heated it up cherry red and proceded to pound it out into a flat knife...I guess it would be decent steel to work with..

buckley94thmp
07-16-2015, 06:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYrL21WvcoQ

Old Guard
07-17-2015, 08:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYrL21WvcoQ

ok, this is about the same....have a buddy here, that has built that same little furnace and can make it work on a 20 lb propane bottle, he used the one from our company grille to test it ...He has gone off the deep end on cutting up steel parts to make knifes to sell..Saws and files, blades from used stuff..A coil spring would seem to be the better choice...