PDA

View Full Version : Gauging a gas cylinder

jbkf1003
07-21-2015, 06:59 PM
Is there a quick and dirty way to gauge a gas cylinder at home?

Thanks

Orlando
07-21-2015, 07:29 PM
IMO, No
Even pin gages are not a accurate way to measure a gas cylinder. The Ordnance style gage is the only accurate way to measure wether cylinder is in spec or not. While a cylinder can slightly fail the Ordnance gage and rifle will still function where you get into trouble is if the Op Rod piston is at the low end of specs then rifle can fail to cycle.
Pin gages have become very popular latley becuase they are cheap. I would be 80% of the people who use them do not know and are using them incorrectly. I had one guy return a gas cylinder I sold him becuse he said it was out of spec with his pin gage. He was measureing the wrong end!!!

jbkf1003
07-21-2015, 08:48 PM
I figured that was the case... :(

Orlando
07-21-2015, 09:16 PM
I figured that was the case... :(

If you have cylinders that need gaged I can do it . You pay shipping both ways

jbkf1003
07-21-2015, 10:09 PM
Thanks Orlando. Just one, it's for a mini-g build, I wanted to send it to Tony G to be refinished, but I think I may just do his nickel lined cylinder exchange if it's out of spec, or even on the lower end....

Maybe I'll send it along with the windage knob I just bought from you ;)

musketjon
07-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Actually, if you know how to PROPERLY use pin gages, they are the most accurate gage one can use, especially for a muzzle wear indicator. Again, the key operative word here is PROPERLY.
Jon

canes7
07-24-2015, 01:53 PM
I had one guy return a gas cylinder I sold him becuse he said it was out of spec with his pin gage. He was measureing the wrong end!!!

I sold one on eBay.. they guy claimed there was an odd groove at the bottom on the inside. After long debate I just took it back because it wasn't worth the argument anymore...

Old Guard
07-24-2015, 02:53 PM
I sold one on eBay.. they guy claimed there was an odd groove at the bottom on the inside. After long debate I just took it back because it wasn't worth the argument anymore...

I just give them a quick look for grooves with my magnifier and then use the 7mm mag case to see if it fits..I read it over on CMP and ya know that is the gospel on Garands?? Actually seems to work okay....But I would use pins if I had them...But checking the wrong end??Hillarious...

musketjon
07-24-2015, 03:22 PM
The pins are a helluva lot cheaper than the actual gages. Pins are only a couple of bucks a piece.
Jon

Orlando
07-24-2015, 04:56 PM
The pins are a helluva lot cheaper than the actual gages. Pins are only a couple of bucks a piece.
Jon

Yes they are but there is alot of room for error with them in the hands of someone who doesnt know how to properly use them.

musketjon
07-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Yes they are but there is alot of room for error with them in the hands of someone who doesnt know how to properly use them.
True, this. I've been a machinist/tool maker for 30 years and I've actually learned a thing or three. One of which is how to use gage pins properly and to use a micrometer for precision measuring. I'll never understand why so many people rely on calipers--they're only close, at best.
Jon

FluffyTheCat
08-13-2015, 11:03 AM
I take my gas cylinders to a local machine shop and I get them professionally measured.