PDA

View Full Version : How to Remove Plating?

ZBeast
08-27-2015, 11:31 PM
I have a early milled front stock ferrule. It has been chrome plated but otherwise in decent shape. Tossed it in a container of scary acid stuff and all the shiny stuff bubbled away. Now there is a layer of ??? that has to be removed. The acid will turn flesh to jelly but has not even scuffed what is there. I tried to blue it but that did not work. My next course of action is to media blast the part. What would be the best material to use? I want it to work as gentle as possible as not to damage the ferrule. Suggestions? What is this 'base coat' consist of? Thanks upfront,ZB.

KnickKnack
08-28-2015, 12:26 AM
Any chrome plated part is first nickel plated before the chrome plating is applied. Is it possible that the chrome layer was eaten up by the acid bath, leaving the nickel layer intact? In my experience, unpolished nickel looks very dull and very light grey.

Eli
08-28-2015, 12:49 AM
It needs to be 'de-chromed' - which is an electrolytic process.

Eli

ZBeast
08-28-2015, 12:54 AM
Any chrome plated part is first nickel plated before the chrome plating is applied. Is it possible that the chrome layer was eaten up by the acid bath, leaving the nickel layer intact? In my experience, unpolished nickel looks very dull and very light grey.

That is how it looks. It would be great if I had the whole rifle done up like that but not going to happen.